Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

add SYNC to 2011 base model

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 06:29 PM
crazietj

Do you guys remember which wires you spliced into for the diagnostic port? The wire colors are different, so I spliced into the ones in the picture and my acm would turn on and off. The door chimes stopped working too. So I unhooked them for now.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:43 AM
redrocks

Originally Posted by crazietj
So i ran the 2 wires from the switches down to the hmi plug. Cut the 2 that are to go to pin 4 and 6 and spliced them in. I double checked the wires. And everything seems good. I'm not sure why they are not working. Unless it's because the sync module is fro a 13? But I would think the wires are still the same.
Not sure what you mean by "pin 4 and pin 6"--thought that the HMI connector only had 4 pins. Did you check the resistance on the new wires at the HMI end as you push the steering wheel buttons? It should change as listed in hdvalente's old post.

It's possible that the '13 has different steering wheel buttons, and therefore is wired differently--have you looked at a wiring diagram for a '13? The sync module I'm using now is from a '12 and works fine, FWIW.

As for the mike, on my car I didn't spend much time with the "kit" mike, but it didn't work when I tested it. The "factory" mike on the rearview mirror worked fine using the same wires. I suppose it's possible they're electrically different somehow.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:16 AM
crazietj

Originally Posted by redrocks
Not sure what you mean by "pin 4 and pin 6"--thought that the HMI connector only had 4 pins. Did you check the resistance on the new wires at the HMI end as you push the steering wheel buttons? It should change as listed in hdvalente's old post.

It's possible that the '13 has different steering wheel buttons, and therefore is wired differently--have you looked at a wiring diagram for a '13? The sync module I'm using now is from a '12 and works fine, FWIW.

As for the mike, on my car I didn't spend much time with the "kit" mike, but it didn't work when I tested it. The "factory" mike on the rearview mirror worked fine using the same wires. I suppose it's possible they're electrically different somehow.
Pin 4 and 6 coming out of the steering wheel then down to the hmi plug. I will test the resistance and see if it's any different. I will have to find the wiring diagram for the mic in the head liner and see if how it wires up. When looking at the mic from the 09 sync kit it was completely different than the headliner mic. I am also going to test a different acm that i know came out of a sync car and see if I get anything.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 PM
redrocks

Originally Posted by crazietj
Pin 4 and 6 coming out of the steering wheel then down to the hmi plug. I will test the resistance and see if it's any different. I will have to find the wiring diagram for the mic in the head liner and see if how it wires up. When looking at the mic from the 09 sync kit it was completely different than the headliner mic. I am also going to test a different acm that i know came out of a sync car and see if I get anything.
My original ACM was non-sync, and the system worked fine when I first installed it. I've since replaced it with a 6-CD unit, but didn't affect sync at all.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:07 PM
crazietj

Originally Posted by redrocks
My original ACM was non-sync, and the system worked fine when I first installed it. I've since replaced it with a 6-CD unit, but didn't affect sync at all.
Ok. So that would narrow it down to the mic or the wiring is different for the 13. I will mess with the mic tomorrow and see if I can get it to work
Old 05-15-2014, 09:19 PM
crazietj

No luck on replacing the mic. As for the wiring. I have not been able to find a clear answer on it either.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:21 PM
crazietj

Made some head way. I got the mic to work. The 13 sync module is a bit different that the 12s. I had to re pin the plug for sync at pin 18 for mic in+ and switch pin 5 to mic in -. Still no buttons working though. The pins are the same. So it maybe a resistance issue. Or still a wire different somewhere.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:43 PM
crazietj

After a bit of research, I found on the ford parts site the buttons from 10-12 share the same motorcraft part numbers. The 13-14s are different. I tested the resistance of my switches and they are the same as you guys posted. On the diagrams for the 13 the resistance is way different. I'm guessing it is the switch that is causing the issue. I have a 13 switch on the way and will test it once i get it.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Pares1

did you figure the color of the wires for the 2013 to the dlc port? mym is working but not the answer button it is not connected yet
Old 06-22-2014, 04:23 PM
crazietj

I put it on the back burner for a bit. I have not got it working. I ordered a 13switch but they sent me one without the sync stuff on it.

Quick Reply: add SYNC to 2011 base model