Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

add SYNC to 2011 base model

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 AM
iq2002

Originally Posted by hdvalente
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and also got my first Mustang a week ago.
I have a 2012 base model and I purchased a few items to try to get the SYNC working on mine. Sync buttons for the steering wheel, SYNC kit, SYNC module bracket and SYNC auto-dimm mirror w/ compass.
I was able to download the "SYNC status checker" even after having my VIN not recognized.
I shoud get all the parts this week but I was wondering if you were able to add the voice capability to your SYNC or not.
Thanks
I was right about your alley when dealing with the SYNC voice features. Initially I was pretty sure I could get the voice to work (even if at the end I had to take it to a dealer to get it done) but what kept me was that I really REALLY hated the voice button that the SYNC kit provided.

My solution (and yours it seems) was to replace the stock steering wheel with one that includes the SYNC button. The main problem with that (as I found in the fourms) is that the stock stereo's chip needs to be "flashed" to take the new steering wheel commands. Not a major issue, but now I was looking at multiple steps and a larger budget for a feature I wasn't sure I'd be using a lot of.

So for the moment I threw in a couple of choice steering wheels in my ebay watch list and decided to wait it out. Once I get the right steering wheel for the right price I'll take another dash at it. Meanwhile I wish you luck with your mod! If I was you I'd just risk it and connect it all to see if it works without flashing the chip. Install the module first. Test it without programming it. If it works, program it to make it work with the voice button that comes with the kit. Finally add the steering wheels. If the voice command button works but the steering buttons don't then yes, flashing the chip should be small shenanigans by then.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:12 PM
hdvalente

Actually I purchased this item instead of the complete steering wheel:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281024539119...84.m1439.l2649

Since mine already have the audio controls on it, it may work with the SYNC additional buttons.

As soon as I install it I'll post the results here.

Anyone knows the steps to replace that right side set of buttons?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 PM
hdvalente

I found the instructions here to swap the buttons:
http://blog.stangmods.com/2012/07/13...2013-mustangs/

And also a new steering wheel for a good price:
http://www.levittownfordsupercenter....00-p-1231.html

Last edited by hdvalente; 03-16-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 PM
hdvalente

Thank you for the update!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 AM
45ANNGT

Hey Guys,

I have a 2011 mustang gt base model. I purchased the ford sync unit. Just purchased a used ACM premium. Do you guys think since this car the ACM came out of had the steering wheel with controls and possibly sync that I would not have to get it programmed?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2013, 09:18 AM
iq2002

Here's some info on ACM and steering wheel
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-upgrades.html

If your ACM comes from a used premium I don't see why it shouldn't work with steering wheel controls. SYNC however is a completely different module that interacts with the ACM separately from the control thus requires separate programming.

I've put a crude interpretation of the relation between all the features of the car below:

Steering Wheel Controls -------- ACM -------- SYNC ------- USB/Bluetooth

ACM in turn is connected to the dashboard and the speakers, making it the hub for all audio/video controls.

Half the fun we have with these forums in my opinion is research and sharing of information but seems to me that the other half is risking an installation that might or might not completely work. If you already have the parts, go for it and share the results
Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 PM
hdvalente

Originally Posted by iq2002
Here's some info on ACM and steering wheel
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-upgrades.html

If your ACM comes from a used premium I don't see why it shouldn't work with steering wheel controls. SYNC however is a completely different module that interacts with the ACM separately from the control thus requires separate programming.

I've put a crude interpretation of the relation between all the features of the car below:

Steering Wheel Controls -------- ACM -------- SYNC ------- USB/Bluetooth

ACM in turn is connected to the dashboard and the speakers, making it the hub for all audio/video controls.

Half the fun we have with these forums in my opinion is research and sharing of information but seems to me that the other half is risking an installation that might or might not completely work. If you already have the parts, go for it and share the results
I had previously installed the steering wheel sync/phone buttons (AR3Z-9C888-DA) but just today I was able to connect the SYNC module in my 2012 Mustang base model to test.
The HMI works as well as the mic that come in the SYNC 2009 kit but the steering wheel buttons didn't.
Looking at your diagram probably the ACM unit is not forwarding the commands to the SYNC module. In this case I will have to take it to a dealer and have the ACM programmed (or get an used ACM module from a premium car).
I tried installing the SYNC auto-dimm mirror w/ compass and mic (8U5A-17E678-KC) but the wiring harness that I purchased was for the 2011 (BR3Z-17K745-BA) and it didn't work. It has the same connector but the wiring is different and also no harness for the top console ligths.
So I just ordered a 2012 wiring harness (CR3Z-17K745-BA) at fordparts.com and should get it this coming week. I'll post the results once I find out.
I also purchased the USB/LINE IN bezel that goes into the console (8L2Z-19C149-BA) but had to order one from a 2011 Expedition ($10) since the one for the 2012 Mustang is listed for $198.
The bezel fits perfectly, same mechanical connections but not the same housing for the Mustang USB cable (AR3Z-14D202-A). So I ordered the USB cable from the 2011 Expedition (9L1Z-14D202-A), also getting it this coming week.
I have a spare SYNC auto-dimm mirror w/ compass and mic plus wiring harness for it (2011 only) in case someone is interested.
At the end I will put all the items that I purchased and didn't work on eBay and add pictures of the parts and final installation.
Regarding the ACM module, how are they listed on eBay??
Thanks
Old 03-16-2013, 07:50 PM
hdvalente

Originally Posted by 45ANNGT
Hey Guys,

I have a 2011 mustang gt base model. I purchased the ford sync unit. Just purchased a used ACM premium. Do you guys think since this car the ACM came out of had the steering wheel with controls and possibly sync that I would not have to get it programmed?

Thanks
Could you please post the link to the ACM premium that you purchased?
Did you get it at eBay?
Thanks
Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 PM
hdvalente

Originally Posted by iq2002
I was right about your alley when dealing with the SYNC voice features. Initially I was pretty sure I could get the voice to work (even if at the end I had to take it to a dealer to get it done) but what kept me was that I really REALLY hated the voice button that the SYNC kit provided.

My solution (and yours it seems) was to replace the stock steering wheel with one that includes the SYNC button. The main problem with that (as I found in the fourms) is that the stock stereo's chip needs to be "flashed" to take the new steering wheel commands. Not a major issue, but now I was looking at multiple steps and a larger budget for a feature I wasn't sure I'd be using a lot of.

So for the moment I threw in a couple of choice steering wheels in my ebay watch list and decided to wait it out. Once I get the right steering wheel for the right price I'll take another dash at it. Meanwhile I wish you luck with your mod! If I was you I'd just risk it and connect it all to see if it works without flashing the chip. Install the module first. Test it without programming it. If it works, program it to make it work with the voice button that comes with the kit. Finally add the steering wheels. If the voice command button works but the steering buttons don't then yes, flashing the chip should be small shenanigans by then.
I forgot to mention that I got a 2012 SYNC module that I'm testing as well as the 2009 SYNC module that came with the FORD kit.
For some reason the HMI just works with the 2012 SYNC module. I swapped the SYNC modules a few times but no response from the HMI when I have the 2009 installed.
Did you have similar experience with the voice command not working with the HMI?

I tried to install the SYNC checker on the 2009 SYNC and it didn't recognize it (install file not found). I guess because I created this file with my 2012 VIN number and not a 2009.

The 2012 SYNC accepted the update that I downloaded with no problems (I have the VIN from the Mustang it was taken from).
It even has SYNC services available (like getting directions but I believe it needs a GPS module for this to work) and it makes a phone call to access such services. It seems that it is a subscription and it is still working.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 AM
45ANNGT

I purchased the Premium ACM and it came with the VIn of the car it came out of. Had the VIN researched by someone on another forum and the car had sync, sat radio steering wheel controls. I will look for the post from e at for the ACM. Only costed me 137.00. So you installed the 09 kit into a base 2012? Did you document which wire you tapped on the SJB for power to the module and HMI? Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Originally Posted by hdvalente
I forgot to mention that I got a 2012 SYNC module that I'm testing as well as the 2009 SYNC module that came with the FORD kit.
For some reason the HMI just works with the 2012 SYNC module. I swapped the SYNC modules a few times but no response from the HMI when I have the 2009 installed.
Did you have similar experience with the voice command not working with the HMI?

I tried to install the SYNC checker on the 2009 SYNC and it didn't recognize it (install file not found). I guess because I created this file with my 2012 VIN number and not a 2009.

The 2012 SYNC accepted the update that I downloaded with no problems (I have the VIN from the Mustang it was taken from).
It even has SYNC services available (like getting directions but I believe it needs a GPS module for this to work) and it makes a phone call to access such services. It seems that it is a subscription and it is still working.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: add SYNC to 2011 base model