Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


add SYNC to 2011 base model

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #101
crazietj
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT
Location: IN
Posts: 21
Default

Do you guys remember which wires you spliced into for the diagnostic port? The wire colors are different, so I spliced into the ones in the picture and my acm would turn on and off. The door chimes stopped working too. So I unhooked them for now.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
crazietj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:43 AM   #102
redrocks
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT 'vert
Location: SC
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazietj View Post
So i ran the 2 wires from the switches down to the hmi plug. Cut the 2 that are to go to pin 4 and 6 and spliced them in. I double checked the wires. And everything seems good. I'm not sure why they are not working. Unless it's because the sync module is fro a 13? But I would think the wires are still the same.
Not sure what you mean by "pin 4 and pin 6"--thought that the HMI connector only had 4 pins. Did you check the resistance on the new wires at the HMI end as you push the steering wheel buttons? It should change as listed in hdvalente's old post.

It's possible that the '13 has different steering wheel buttons, and therefore is wired differently--have you looked at a wiring diagram for a '13? The sync module I'm using now is from a '12 and works fine, FWIW.

As for the mike, on my car I didn't spend much time with the "kit" mike, but it didn't work when I tested it. The "factory" mike on the rearview mirror worked fine using the same wires. I suppose it's possible they're electrically different somehow.
redrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #103
crazietj
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT
Location: IN
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocks View Post
Not sure what you mean by "pin 4 and pin 6"--thought that the HMI connector only had 4 pins. Did you check the resistance on the new wires at the HMI end as you push the steering wheel buttons? It should change as listed in hdvalente's old post.

It's possible that the '13 has different steering wheel buttons, and therefore is wired differently--have you looked at a wiring diagram for a '13? The sync module I'm using now is from a '12 and works fine, FWIW.

As for the mike, on my car I didn't spend much time with the "kit" mike, but it didn't work when I tested it. The "factory" mike on the rearview mirror worked fine using the same wires. I suppose it's possible they're electrically different somehow.
Pin 4 and 6 coming out of the steering wheel then down to the hmi plug. I will test the resistance and see if it's any different. I will have to find the wiring diagram for the mic in the head liner and see if how it wires up. When looking at the mic from the 09 sync kit it was completely different than the headliner mic. I am also going to test a different acm that i know came out of a sync car and see if I get anything.
crazietj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #104
redrocks
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT 'vert
Location: SC
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazietj View Post
Pin 4 and 6 coming out of the steering wheel then down to the hmi plug. I will test the resistance and see if it's any different. I will have to find the wiring diagram for the mic in the head liner and see if how it wires up. When looking at the mic from the 09 sync kit it was completely different than the headliner mic. I am also going to test a different acm that i know came out of a sync car and see if I get anything.
My original ACM was non-sync, and the system worked fine when I first installed it. I've since replaced it with a 6-CD unit, but didn't affect sync at all.
redrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #105
crazietj
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT
Location: IN
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocks View Post
My original ACM was non-sync, and the system worked fine when I first installed it. I've since replaced it with a 6-CD unit, but didn't affect sync at all.
Ok. So that would narrow it down to the mic or the wiring is different for the 13. I will mess with the mic tomorrow and see if I can get it to work
crazietj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #106
crazietj
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT
Location: IN
Posts: 21
Default

No luck on replacing the mic. As for the wiring. I have not been able to find a clear answer on it either.
crazietj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #107
crazietj
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT
Location: IN
Posts: 21
Default

Made some head way. I got the mic to work. The 13 sync module is a bit different that the 12s. I had to re pin the plug for sync at pin 18 for mic in+ and switch pin 5 to mic in -. Still no buttons working though. The pins are the same. So it maybe a resistance issue. Or still a wire different somewhere.
crazietj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #108
crazietj
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT
Location: IN
Posts: 21
Default

After a bit of research, I found on the ford parts site the buttons from 10-12 share the same motorcraft part numbers. The 13-14s are different. I tested the resistance of my switches and they are the same as you guys posted. On the diagrams for the 13 the resistance is way different. I'm guessing it is the switch that is causing the issue. I have a 13 switch on the way and will test it once i get it.
crazietj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #109
Pares1
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Vehicle: 2013 ford Mustang Conv.
Location: PR
Posts: 4
Default

did you figure the color of the wires for the 2013 to the dlc port? mym is working but not the answer button it is not connected yet
Pares1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #110
crazietj
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT
Location: IN
Posts: 21
Default

I put it on the back burner for a bit. I have not got it working. I ordered a 13switch but they sent me one without the sync stuff on it.
crazietj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #111
Ddude122
 
Ddude122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 2014 Mustang gt
Location: California
Posts: 4
Default

Hey guys can one of you quickly summarize what to do to make basic bluetooth and streaming work on a base mustang using a 09 kit.
Ddude122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:58 AM   #112
Ddude122
 
Ddude122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 2014 Mustang gt
Location: California
Posts: 4
Default

Sorry forgot to mention I have a base 14
Ddude122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #113
cruisin5268d
3rd Gear Member
 
cruisin5268d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 2013 GT/CS Convertible & 2010 GT Premium
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddude122 View Post
Sorry forgot to mention I have a base 14
Sure....

It's extremely simple. Hell, it even walks you through it. Have you tried yet, or read the manual?
cruisin5268d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #114
Stang With No Name
 
Stang With No Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Base
Location: Florida
Posts: 17
Default

Hi folks. I know this thread hasn't been active in 4 months but I figured I'd try to get help here before I started a new thread.

A friend installed the 09 Sync Kit in my 2014 Mustang V6 Base. All of the hardware seems to work except the HMI. None of the buttons on it seem to work. As I understand from this thread the voice command button might not do anything without flashing an update to the ASM. But the "OK" and "End call" buttons don't work either.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks!
__________________
A 'STANG WITH NO NAME
2014 Black Mustang V6 Base Coupe. 6-speed manual. '09 Ford Sync Kit.
"It felt good to get out of the rain" -America
Stang With No Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #115
mbyers
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1964 1/2 and 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 46
Default

I think those buttons won't work; without the flash (from what I recall following this thread). Not 100% sure about the '14s, but on the 11's, the buttons from that entire side of the steering wheel aren't there so they aren't active in the head unit.
__________________
1964 1/2 Convertible / Guardsman Blue / D code 289 4V
2011 Coupe / Pony Package / Kona Blue / V6 (ordered 5/18/10, built 6/11, arrived 6/22, delivered 6/25)
mbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #116
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member
 
GLOCKer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 2014, Mustang, GT
Location: Georgia
Posts: 276
Default

I'm a little late to the party here, so please forgive me if I missed this and it's been asked...

I've got the most basic of base 2014 Mustang GTs. I don't have Sync or Satellite Radio. If I add the Sync module, can I add a satellite receiver for integrated control of my stereo?

If I add Sync, can I add the Raxiom stereo from AM and have Satellite radio through that?
__________________
-Mods:Window Tint, MMD Hood Struts, SR Performance Strut Tower Brace with GT Badging, Eibach Sportline Springs, SR Performance Short Throw Shifter, SVE Shift ****, Matte Black Fender Hashes, Matte Black 5.0 Emblems, FRPP GT500 Axle-back Exhaust minus resonators, Boss 302 Coil Covers, Boss 302 Wheels, AntennaX Antenna, Sound Tube Delete, Roush Front Splitter, FRPP TracKey
GLOCKer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #117
Stang With No Name
 
Stang With No Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Base
Location: Florida
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyers View Post
I think those buttons won't work; without the flash (from what I recall following this thread). Not 100% sure about the '14s, but on the 11's, the buttons from that entire side of the steering wheel aren't there so they aren't active in the head unit.
Thanks mbyers. You're right. It requires a flash to make the HMI work. My mistake. I misread the post about the HMI on my first readthrough. D'oh on me.
__________________
A 'STANG WITH NO NAME
2014 Black Mustang V6 Base Coupe. 6-speed manual. '09 Ford Sync Kit.
"It felt good to get out of the rain" -America
Stang With No Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #118
Stang With No Name
 
Stang With No Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Base
Location: Florida
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
I'm a little late to the party here, so please forgive me if I missed this and it's been asked...

I've got the most basic of base 2014 Mustang GTs. I don't have Sync or Satellite Radio. If I add the Sync module, can I add a satellite receiver for integrated control of my stereo?

If I add Sync, can I add the Raxiom stereo from AM and have Satellite radio through that?
GLOCKer, unfortunately I don't know. Maybe someone more technically minded can help you with that. I asked a friend with more technical experience than me (but not a forum member) to perform the install. He added the Sync module to the base stereo as that was all I wanted. I use my phone for navigation and I don't have satellite radio. Not very helpful, I know, but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.
__________________
A 'STANG WITH NO NAME
2014 Black Mustang V6 Base Coupe. 6-speed manual. '09 Ford Sync Kit.
"It felt good to get out of the rain" -America
Stang With No Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:10 AM   #119
mbyers
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1964 1/2 and 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 46
Default

GLOCKer, I too cannot offer any help about the satellite radio. When I started this thread, way back, I was trying to decide between Base and Premium, and one of my biggest things was Sync. Satellite radio wasn't part of my wavering; as such it wasn't part of this thread. You might want to start a new thread for that specific topic; that way, being a new you might get more traffic.
__________________
1964 1/2 Convertible / Guardsman Blue / D code 289 4V
2011 Coupe / Pony Package / Kona Blue / V6 (ordered 5/18/10, built 6/11, arrived 6/22, delivered 6/25)
mbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #120
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member
 
GLOCKer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 2014, Mustang, GT
Location: Georgia
Posts: 276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyers View Post
GLOCKer, I too cannot offer any help about the satellite radio. When I started this thread, way back, I was trying to decide between Base and Premium, and one of my biggest things was Sync. Satellite radio wasn't part of my wavering; as such it wasn't part of this thread. You might want to start a new thread for that specific topic; that way, being a new you might get more traffic.
Sounds good!
__________________
-Mods:Window Tint, MMD Hood Struts, SR Performance Strut Tower Brace with GT Badging, Eibach Sportline Springs, SR Performance Short Throw Shifter, SVE Shift ****, Matte Black Fender Hashes, Matte Black 5.0 Emblems, FRPP GT500 Axle-back Exhaust minus resonators, Boss 302 Coil Covers, Boss 302 Wheels, AntennaX Antenna, Sound Tube Delete, Roush Front Splitter, FRPP TracKey
GLOCKer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:14 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2010, 2011, add, adding, base, cost, electronics, ford, gt, labor, mustang, package, premium, sync, vehicle

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup