Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

add SYNC to 2011 base model

Old 02-07-2010, 08:52 PM
mbyers

Default add SYNC to 2011 base model

I have looked through the forum and didn't this specific question.
Can SYNC be added to the base model 2011 V6 (i.e. non-Premium)?
Will be ordering the 2011 and I really want SYNC, but am not interested in leather.

I realize I would have to swap the Head Unit to the Shaker 500, but what about the rest of it? Looking at the forums it seems there is another module that is needed.
And what about a microphone? I'm sure that is needed.

Has anyone ever done this?
Have a parts list?

Thanks in advance for any help you an provide.

Last edited by mbyers; 02-09-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

as far as I know no one has done this. You might as well buy the premium with sync. If you don't buy a head unit with voice commands... Adding sync after would be very hard and very costly
Old 02-07-2010, 10:14 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mbyers
Can SYNC be added to the base model 2011 V6 (i.e. non-Premium)?

You may want to ask/PM FordEngineer about this; he is involved in the design/implementation of various electronic & entertainment systems in our cars.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Hey D code, go with the premium, less hassle in the long run!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

i'd say go premium and do a seat swap to cloth if you don't want leather. that'll probably be the cheapest and easiest thing to do
Old 02-08-2010, 12:37 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

After getting the premium, I'll NEVER go back to the base model. Premium is so much more perty.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:06 AM
mbyers

Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

7up, I was thinking the same think. I figured I try the forum first. I have since PM'd FordEngineer; wish me luck.

10GTSTANG, understood. Because of finances I will be using this as my year round car. Which means Upstate NY winters :-( Had leather on a car in 2000 and it was cold in the winter. I know I can add heated seats, but it would still be cold at first. I don't know if the remote start would help. The remote start on my Malibu will automatically turn on the rear defogger, so maybe remote start on the Stang will automatically turn on the seats? A topic I didn't search for yet...

sdsguy, I was considering that option. So glad someone else said it out loud :-)

SirKnigthTG, I agree. I do like everything about the Premium (other than leather), makes it nicer. It is just that I can live without the other items. So I'm weighing the cost in all of this as well. Probably going to come down to: 1) no SYNC and save money; or 2) live with leather and spend a more; or 3) spend even more and add heat & remote start.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

I will tell you from experience... I am in MD right now and we are having a horrible winter... I previously had a G35x (the all wheel drive version)... When it snows you better be prepared not to go very far... I have turned my mustang on once since friday and that was to take my gf to get her car and I put it back...
Old 02-10-2010, 09:39 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sdsguy
i'd say go premium and do a seat swap to cloth if you don't want leather. that'll probably be the cheapest and easiest thing to do
Took the words out of my mouth.

There is a lot to SYNC besides the radio head ('ACM' in engineerspeak). There's an actual module (black box) that lives above your glovebox that's the real 'brains' of SYNC, a GPS module (used for the free turn-by-turn directions, traffic, and such) that's above that, just below the surface of your dash near the windshield, a microphone in the rearview mirror, steering wheel controls, USB port and Line-In jack in your center console, and bluetooth antenna. Not to mention all the wiring harnesses that need to be installed at build-time to connect it all together, as well as to your car's CAN bus (internal network), with modulation, so things like 911 Assist, Vehicle Health Report, and certain parts of Traffic, Directions, and Information can work.

All of that stuff bought separately (materials alone) may be more than the upgrade cost to the Premium version. Not to mention the labor to install it (if you have it done at a dealership). I will say that, having looked through the service manuals for the 2010 Mustang, there isn't a section that covers aftermarket installation of SYNC.

As I've said in other posts, I wouldn't say adding or changing OEM equipment is impossible, but I wouldn't try to do it. And I know how it works. Think about that.

I'll say that I do have the heated seats, and it's nice when it starts to get chilly out. However, like Lax07 said:
Originally Posted by Lax07
When it snows you better be prepared not to go very far...
There is some truth to that statement. Make sure you take it out to a large parking lot and get familiar with how it handles in snow before you try it out on the roads. Light rear end + lots of HP + RWD + Snow = Not the same experience as a regular car.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mbyers
I have since PM'd FordEngineer; wish me luck.
Your PM reply was sent, BTW. Didn't want you to think I forgot about you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: add SYNC to 2011 base model