Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

add SYNC to 2011 base model

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:41 AM
hdvalente

Since I'm still playing with the SYNC modules I just connected the red wire directly to the positive terminal of the battery. The HMI gets power from the plug out of the main wiring harness (comes with the 2009 kit).

Once I get the other parts this coming week I'll make the final installation and post pictures.

I will still try to get the rear mirror with mic to work with SYNC, even if I have to wire it directly to the SYNC wiring harness that comes with the 2009 kit.
If it doesn't work at all, I will hide the mic that comes with the 2009 kit (9R3Z-19A391-A) into the top light console, making small holes in the plastic where I locate the mic.

So if you want basic functionality with SYNC all you need is the 2009 SYNC kit.
The standard radio buttons works fine with it, changing the source for playing music (bluetooth phone or USB), using phone features like making/receiving calls (mic worked both with 2009 and 2012 SYNC modules) just no voice commands. At least that was my experience with them so far.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:51 AM
hdvalente

I believe this is why the steering wheel SYNC buttons don't work:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=710&viewfil...Navigation.pdf

If you go to page 13 it shows the SYNC buttons connected to the ACM only with Navigation option. The two wires 6 and 4 (steering wheel) go to the audio system (page 5 = APIM module) when without Navigation, with SYNC options.
I'll have to find the location of this APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) and get the two wires connected to the SYNC main wiring harness.
I'll post my results here.

Last edited by hdvalente; 03-17-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:34 PM
hdvalente

So after looking at the wiring diagrams, the APIM is actually the SYNC module itself.
I'm trying to find the wiring coming from the steering wheel to connect them to the SYNC main wiring harness.

I found this link where you can download the complete 2011 Mustang Wiring Diagrams:
http://www.dndgeek.com/documents/For...ngDiagrams.pdf
Old 03-17-2013, 06:34 PM
45ANNGT

Did you plug on the 2009 sync kit harness directly to your ACM connections? I have been trying to compare the wire diagrams from 2011 base to Premium ACM and 2009 sync kit. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:12 PM
hdvalente

Originally Posted by 45ANNGT
Did you plug on the 2009 sync kit harness directly to your ACM connections? I have been trying to compare the wire diagrams from 2011 base to Premium ACM and 2009 sync kit. Thanks.
Yes I did plug the 2009 wiring harness directly to my base ACM connections and it works perfectly (just no voice commands).

The Premium ACM has an additional socket on the back of it and the 2009 SYNC harness doesn't have this additional connector. Not sure if it needs it or not.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 PM
hdvalente

After testing all wires where the ACM is located vs the two wires inside the steering wheel (sync functions) I couldn't find them.

Inside the steering wheel the sync wires are: blue and yellow.
When no buttons are pressed they show resistance betwwen them of 1,114 k ohms.
Voice button pressed: 51.5 ohms
Phone button pressed: 508 ohms
OK button pressed: 334 ohms

I checked the HMI buttons and got very close readings.

So using the sync steering buttons will work with the 2012 sync module (APIM). As I mentioned earlier, the 2009 sync module will not accept any commands from the HMI.

The J1 connector on the ACM has two wires missing (terminals 16 and 17) where the sync button wires should have been landed at.

I traced from the J1 connector back to the steering wheel and finally found where they are missing. There is a connector on the lower left side of the steering wheel and the wires are simply not there.

I'm going to order the connector pins, and wire the two missing sync wires back to J1 connector (also adding a couple of pins at J1).
If it doesn't work by landing at J1, then I will wire directly to the 2009 sync wiring harness where the HMI would be connected to.

Bottom line, ACM flash will never work in this case because the wires for the steering wheel sync buttons are not there.

Once I get everything connected and working I will post the results.

I tried to upload some pictures but it asks for a web page link. Is that the way it should work??
Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 PM
hdvalente

Originally Posted by hdvalente
After testing all wires where the ACM is located vs the two wires inside the steering wheel (sync functions) I couldn't find them.

Inside the steering wheel the sync wires are: blue and yellow.
When no buttons are pressed they show resistance betwwen them of 1,114 k ohms.
Voice button pressed: 51.5 ohms
Phone button pressed: 508 ohms
OK button pressed: 334 ohms

I checked the HMI buttons and got very close readings.

So using the sync steering buttons will work with the 2012 sync module (APIM). As I mentioned earlier, the 2009 sync module will not accept any commands from the HMI.

The J1 connector on the ACM has two wires missing (terminals 16 and 17) where the sync button wires should have been landed at.

I traced from the J1 connector back to the steering wheel and finally found where they are missing. There is a connector on the lower left side of the steering wheel and the wires are simply not there.

I'm going to order the connector pins, and wire the two missing sync wires back to J1 connector (also adding a couple of pins at J1).
If it doesn't work by landing at J1, then I will wire directly to the 2009 sync wiring harness where the HMI would be connected to.

Bottom line, ACM flash will never work in this case because the wires for the steering wheel sync buttons are not there.

Once I get everything connected and working I will post the results.

I tried to upload some pictures but it asks for a web page link. Is that the way it should work??
So, I got everything connected and working today.

1- SYNC module from 2009 kit will not work with voice commands. The unit itself needs initial programming;

2- I installed a SYNC module from a 2012 Mustang (got at eBay) and got the voice commands to work. I added the two missing wires from the steering wheel back to the 2009 wiring harness (didn't work landing on the J1 audio connector) and it worked like a charm;

3- Got the rear interior mirror (auto-dimm, mic and compass) connected using a Ford wiring harness that I purchased (CR3Z-17K745-BA) but had to add male pins (bought at DIGI-KEY) to the receiving connector (right side going up from SJB) since it only had +/- for the sunvisor lamps. I ran the two wires for the compass back to the instrument cluster but it didn't work (probably needs programming). The microphone and auto-dimm worked fine. I had to run a wire all the way from the trunk to get the reverse information back to the mirror (it turns off the auto-dimm when in reverse). Pin 6 at BCM (body control module) didn't work so probably needs programming as well. So I tied the wire to one of the 12V+ going to the reverse tail lights. Works fine!

Voice commands are really a plus to the operation. And my SYNC module has the Mobile apps installed so I can command Pandora, iHeart Radio, all from voice commands or from the radio buttons. It shows the artist/song, everything. You don't need the phone to operate. Very cool.

I will be selling some stuff that I ended up purchasing in duplicate or didn't use:
1- Interior rear mirror - auto-dimm + mic;
2- 2009 Sync module;
3- 2009 HMI
4- Original steering wheel radio buttons (without SYNC buttons)

That's it! I'm very pleased with the results.

And thank you iq2002! The detailed information of your install was very important to my decision to go ahead and install SYNC in my Mustang.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:48 AM
45ANNGT

Great job! Which wire did you use to to power off of SJB? Also do you have the part number of the pins you ordered from digi key? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 AM
hdvalente

Originally Posted by 45ANNGT
Great job! Which wire did you use to to power off of SJB? Also do you have the part number of the pins you ordered from digi key? Thanks.
Following the wiring diagram (page 2 - Power Mirrors), I connected the mirror to pin 16 on the big connector (C2280D), which is the BLUE wire on it.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1046&viewfi... Box (SJB).pdf
http://juchems.com/ServiceManuals/in...er Mirrors.pdf

Part number for the male pins (www.digi-key.com):
A104905-ND
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...9&y=11&cur=USD

Part number for the female pins (www.digi-key.com):
A101884CT-ND
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...4CT-ND/2700941
The female pins I used at the connector on the bottom left of the steering wheel to get the SYNC buttons back to the 2009 wiring harness (where HMI was supposed to be connected to).

You will also need this crimper tool (works very well):
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103683

Last edited by hdvalente; 04-01-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
hdvalente

Good news. I did a couple of Vehicle Health Reports using SYNC and now my Mustang VIN is listed as the owner of the SYNC module.
The initial VIN from the wrecked one was asking to confirm the VIN information so I deleted it from my account (I had both VINs registered to my SYNCMYRIDE.COM account). Perfect!

Quick Reply: add SYNC to 2011 base model