Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

add SYNC to 2011 base model

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 AM
mbyers

Figured I would put in an update on what I decided; in case others read this thread.

I went ahead and ordered the Premium, so everything was all there. I found a Ford dealer on eBay that was selling cloth seat covers for ~$90 (they were talking those off and putting leather on peoples cars). So I figured I had that out if need be.

Once I made that leap, I added the Pony package as well. Which got me fogs lights that I wanted; and Automatic heads lights which I have gotten to use to having. I picked that over the MCA because the Pony fender badge matched my 64 1/2; and I prefer the look of the polished wheels over the painted ones.

For the little time I have it, the SYNC is nice. However, it doesn't work well all the time. I have found other forums talking about a Microphone Upgrade Kit, so I might look into that. Didn't find anyone that did it on Mustang yet though.
There are also times the voice and phone buttons on the steering wheel don't do anything when I press them, but that might be the radio.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Hey all, sorry for being MIA lately. Been crazy busy.

There IS a microphone change that was made in late MY2010, where the microphone moved from the top of the rearview mirror to the headliner. This prevented noise interference problems when traveling at fast speeds (wind noise from top of windshield), or from when the defroster is on at a high fan speed.

I'd check with a dealership and see if they're willing to do this as a warranty repair if you're having VR problems with your current mic. I'm not sure if there's a TSB or Service Procedure in place for it--I'll have to check Monday when I get back in the office, however it's going to be a pretty hellacious week, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to report back.

As for inoperative functions--that is very concerning to me. If you can give me examples, as well as what type of mobile phone you're using, and let me know if you have the latest SYNC software installed (from the Owner area of the SyncMyRide.com website), that will help.

As for the traffic info, that should NEVER cut out like that. Has it done it since? If it has, let me know when you had this happen, as well as the mobile phone number you were using, and I can go back and look at what happened in order to get it fixed. (Send me a PM if you'd like)

I'll do whatever I can to make that right. Sorry it's been a less-than-perfect experience!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:31 AM
mbyers

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
Hey all, sorry for being MIA lately. Been crazy busy.
Just glad you're still around and can help us.

There IS a microphone change that was made in late MY2010, where the microphone moved from the top of the rearview mirror to the headliner. This prevented noise interference problems when traveling at fast speeds (wind noise from top of windshield), or from when the defroster is on at a high fan speed.
Where on the headliner did they put your mic? Doesn't look like there is much room between the overhead console and the visor.

As for inoperative functions--that is very concerning to me. If you can give me examples, as well as what type of mobile phone you're using, and let me know if you have the latest SYNC software installed (from the Owner area of the SyncMyRide.com website), that will help.
Almost always I pressing the Voice button just after getting the car. When I get no response, even holding the button doesn't do it. After a few presses, it will take it. I think it doesn't matter if I remote start the car or not, but I do remote start it often. This is just trying to get to the "please say a command", it hasn't even tried the phone yet. I believe it doesn't even look for the phone until I say "phone"; I say that because I will get the "I don't see a phone, let me try to connect". Not sure why it has to do that when the phone was on the entire time I walk up to the car, but I figure the bluebooth search happens at certain intervals? That brings up another oddity: after it finds the phone it goes to the Phone menu and I have to repress the voice button to say "call x"; would be nice if it went back to the listening mode.
The Phone button seems to not work well for hanging up the phone. When I'm in the Phone menu it seems to do stuff, but havne't played with it. So when I finish the call, I press the Phone button to hangup. When that didn't work I read that you have to hold it. So I held it. Seems like I have to hold it forever. I watch multliple seconds count down before it hangs up. I did leave the button alone once and noticed it hung up when the line goes dead. So I think pressing the button isn't doing anything, I think the line goes dead and it hangs up.
I did check the SYNC version last weekend and it said I had the latest (v3.1 I believe). That is when I signed up for the Traffic.

As for the traffic info, that should NEVER cut out like that. Has it done it since? If it has, let me know when you had this happen, as well as the mobile phone number you were using, and I can go back and look at what happened in order to get it fixed. (Send me a PM if you'd like)
I only tried the traffic twice, but that was two times in a row. It was about 8:15am ET, I'm not sure which day last week but believe it was no later than Wednesday. The phone is a Samsung Solstice SGH A887 via AT&T. I'll PM my phone number. I'll also try again.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:21 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Okay, I just looked at the logs, and it looks like everything (at least from the console side) worked as it was supposed to... There were a few errors that make me ask: Were you AT work when you asked for traffic to work (or in very close proximity?)
Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 AM
mbyers

I tried again yesterday at ~8:20am ET and got the same thing. It connected, heard a "modem" noise and heard about one syllable of a word from the lady, then it switched back to the Sirrus station.
All three times I was about 2 miles from home, heading to work. So about 25 minutes away from work, or about 18 miles away.
There was probably nothing to report, but I would expect to hear at least a few words from her.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 AM
mbyers

Tried twice yesterday (8/3/10) around 8:20am and it worked!!!
Not sure why.
The prior day I was noticing that "Volume" was showing up on the radio at random times. Found that wiggling the Volume **** on the stereo (not turning it) made the same thing happen. I wiggled it hard and it hasn't done it again. While the traffic lady was giving my instructions I played with the Volume and that didn't disconnect. I touched the buttons on the steering wheel and it did. I'm starting to wonder if I have loose wiring for the steering wheel controls. And maybe that caused the lady to cut-out on my 3 other attempts? Although it seems very strange that she cut the exact same way.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mbyers
I tried again yesterday at ~8:20am ET and got the same thing. It connected, heard a "modem" noise and heard about one syllable of a word from the lady, then it switched back to the Sirrus station.
All three times I was about 2 miles from home, heading to work. So about 25 minutes away from work, or about 18 miles away.
There was probably nothing to report, but I would expect to hear at least a few words from her.
Yes, you should have heard something from her. We don't leave our users high and dry, without some kind of feedback!

However, the 'modem' noise you talked about: was it a quick 'ring' noise (like the kind you hear through the phone when you dial someone's number and it connects and starts ringing) or more of an actual data-transfer noise (buzzing, hissing, etc--like an old-school dial-up modem)? This helps me narrow it down. I'll look up your session data to see what the reason for disconnect was (e.g. whether the traffic service ended the call, or whether the termination originated from the car--which could indicate a bad connection like you said).
Old 08-05-2010, 06:14 AM
mbyers

I heard both kinds of noises. Not sure if I hear the phone call sound just before or just after she is asking me were I'm going (i.e. the ring sound when connecting to services or when she is trying to find my position). But the last one I hear is the dial-up modem data transfer like sound. After that I hear some dead air (i'm assuming that is when its looking up the info, then I heard her start to say something (hear a part of a word), then it just ended and went back to the radio. So when it ends, is the time she is about to explain what traffic she found.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:21 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

For what it's worth, I am trying to do the same thing with my '11 GT. Closest I've come is finding out that Ford makes a SYNC accessory kit which allows you to do a retrofit install. It's $448. http://www.partscheap.com/Ford_Musta...z-14d212-a.htm I might do it because I really like it, my girlfriend has it in her '10 Fusion.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:02 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

FordEngineer: Is it possible to add the rearview camera to my car and integrate it into the existing rearview mirror? The dealer says not due to sync but I don't see how that can be since it is an option from the factory?

Quick Reply: add SYNC to 2011 base model