Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

add SYNC to 2011 base model

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:04 AM
mbyers

Originally Posted by FWP!
For what it's worth, I am trying to do the same thing with my '11 GT. Closest I've come is finding out that Ford makes a SYNC accessory kit which allows you to do a retrofit install. It's $448. http://www.partscheap.com/Ford_Musta...z-14d212-a.htm I might do it because I really like it, my girlfriend has it in her '10 Fusion.
I had come across that as well. It is officially listed as only being for '08 & '09. I think they did that because '10 had it as an official option. Since the radio head units changed in '10, I'm not sure how that '09 kit will mate up to it. The concern would be the plugs on the back of the radio. If they are the same (pin outs as well), then it might just work.
Also, be sure to look close at the features with the kit. I do not think you will get all the SYNC features that are built into the '10 & '11. I'm sure you will not get traffic, but I do not know about the music. I think you just get the bluetooth headset stuff. And if that is true, you might be better off looking at something aftermarket.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 PM
iq2002

I'm happy to report that the 2009 sync kit works with the 2010 Base Mustang

I was cautious on making the purchase until I saw an add-on made by Pac-Audio that was compatible across the 2005-09 and the 2010+ Mustangs (see ISFD571). Being fairly certain that the back ends were the same my only concern was programming the module. But as the install manual states, the programming is an update thus it should have a working version already installed. I ended up buying one for cheap so I thought I should gamble it and it turned out great.

Granted that the features of the sync kit is nothing compared to the sync package, I'm still very happy and it's better than any after-market I could find.

Oh and I haven't had a chance to test everything yet. I still need to wire the mic and call button to the smart junction box (it started raining so I stopped the installation) but Bluetooth and USB works like it should. I'll post pictures given the chance I get it fully working
Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Krisheinold

Originally Posted by iq2002

I was cautious on making the purchase until I saw an add-on made by Pac-Audio that was compatible across the 2005-09 and the 2010+ Mustangs (see ISFD571). Being fairly certain that the back ends were the same my only concern was programming the module. But as the install manual states, the programming is an update thus it should have a working version already installed. I ended up buying one for cheap so I thought I should gamble it and it turned out great.

Granted that the features of the sync kit is nothing compared to the sync package, I'm still very happy and it's better than any afteTr-market I could find.

Oh and I haven't had a chance to test everything yet. I still need to wire the mic and call button to the smart junction box (it started raining so I stopped the installation) but Bluetooth and USB works like it should. I'll post pictures given the chance I get it fully working
I registered specifically for this thread. I have a base 2011 and was looking at the sync accessory kit. What have you found out?!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

Granted that the features of the sync kit is nothing compared to the sync package, I'm still very happy and it's better than any after-market I could find.

I have the 09 Sync in my 09 that was only avalable as a dealer installed option. The first part of the installation was easily done by the Ford dealer, e.g mounting everything and getting the basic functions working. The second part also done by the dealer was pretty complex and involved a PC interface device that was plugged into the car’s service port and a PC. The PC was connected to the Sync USB port and the PC connected online to Ford, they had to input my VIN number and it did some programming of some type. It works really great and over the years I’ve done a few software upgrades as they have become available.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:38 PM
iq2002

Originally Posted by Krisheinold
I registered specifically for this thread. I have a base 2011 and was looking at the sync accessory kit. What have you found out?!
I installed the sync kit myself. It was a risk management. About 95% of it is exactly the same as the installation PDF. Granted minor adjustments were made to accommodate the new interior design (ie taking the stereo out). The biggest adjustment was tapping the SJB for mic and accessory power. I had to study both the 05 and 11 SJB wiring diagrams to reciprocate the PDF instructions for the new model.

Below is all that you get:
Bluetooth both for phone and media devices
USB connectivity fot both thumb drives and iPods (I've reading up on some f-150 owners that are putting in 120gb hard drives!)
And all that controlled by the voice command.

You won't get traffic or apps or navigation. If you want that I think you're better off with a premium or after market double dins. The biggest plus of a sync system for me is the voice control. I stare at computer screens all day so I wasn't about to install another one in my car.

Downside is that I can't update my module (maybe my next project) but as far as I see no amount of updating will help the no-navi sync get any better than now.

On the side note: I haven't gotten to get it all working completely. The talk button isn't working for some reason but I'm fairly certain it's a wiring issue and not to do with the sync module. I'll answer any questions you may have and I'll post pics once I get it all working.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

I installed the sync kit myself. It was a risk management. About 95% of it is exactly the same as the installation PDF. Granted minor adjustments were made to accommodate the new interior design (ie taking the stereo out). The biggest adjustment was tapping the SJB for mic and accessory power. I had to study both the 05 and 11 SJB wiring diagrams to reciprocate the PDF instructions for the new model.

Below is all that you get:
Bluetooth both for phone and media devices
USB connectivity fot both thumb drives and iPods (I've reading up on some f-150 owners that are putting in 120gb hard drives!)
And all that controlled by the voice command.

You won't get traffic or apps or navigation. If you want that I think you're better off with a premium or after market double dins. The biggest plus of a sync system for me is the voice control. I stare at computer screens all day so I wasn't about to install another one in my car.

Downside is that I can't update my module (maybe my next project) but as far as I see no amount of updating will help the no-navi sync get any better than now.

On the side note: I haven't gotten to get it all working completely. The talk button isn't working for some reason but I'm fairly certain it's a wiring issue and not to do with the sync module. I'll answer any questions you may have and I'll post pics once I get it all working.

It has been a few years since my Sync was installed, but as I recall the voice part did not work until Ford did the programming stuff that I mentioned above. Have no clue if it relates in any way to what you are doing but it was part of the standard installation to install Sync back then on a 09 Shaker 500. Seemed odd to me that the PC was attached to the service port and the Sync USB port and the VIN number was involved.

Note the programming step listed here http://www.partscheap.com/Ford-Musta...z-14d212-a.htm Here is more detail on the programming http://www.partscheap.com/v/vspfiles...nc_6-18-08.pdf

Last edited by 8178A; 04-24-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 PM
iq2002

Originally Posted by 8178A
It has been a few years since my Sync was installed, but as I recall the voice part did not work until Ford did the programming stuff that I mentioned above. Have no clue if it relates in any way to what you are doing but it was part of the standard installation to install Sync back then on a 09 Shaker 500. Seemed odd to me that the PC was attached to the service port and the Sync USB port and the VIN number was involved.

Note the programming step listed here http://www.partscheap.com/Ford-Musta...z-14d212-a.htm Here is more detail on the programming http://www.partscheap.com/v/vspfiles...nc_6-18-08.pdf
I agree with you. Today after work I quickly took a multi-meter and ran through the cables all the way from the module to the HMI and found no continuity issues. Either the chip in the HMI is broken or you're correct. I was beginning to lean towards the latter and you've confirmed it thank you.

So more work left to do! The voice command is totally worth the trouble in my mind. For the time being I'll just enjoy the USB and bluetooth (which were the minimum goals I was aiming for anyways).
Old 04-25-2012, 06:10 AM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

I agree with you. Today after work I quickly took a multi-meter and ran through the cables all the way from the module to the HMI and found no continuity issues. Either the chip in the HMI is broken or you're correct. I was beginning to lean towards the latter and you've confirmed it thank you.

So more work left to do! The voice command is totally worth the trouble in my mind. For the time being I'll just enjoy the USB and bluetooth (which were the minimum goals I was aiming for anyways).
You might ask your Ford dealer if they can program the Sync for you but I’m not sure about the impact of the VIN number requirement and what that does with a 2010 car.

For me the Sync voice commands are what ties all the hands free stuff together. The voice control works amazingly well with the phone directory and control of the USB port. For the USB drive I find that making named play lists with Windows Media Player and then copying the play lists to the USB drive works really well. Of course you must have the matching folders and music on the USB drive. The Bluetooth streaming works very well too for Windows Phone music and phone nav maps. I’m using a HTC Trophy Windows Mango phone. It worked well with my old Windows XV6800 phone too.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Krisheinold

If you contact your dealer and they say they can do it i will def be doing this mod. I had a ford fusion before my mustang and i loved sync. I may have to contact some dealers around here to see if they would want to try it out
Old 04-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I really dislike sync. I have a Android/Galaxy phone with all of the latest updates, when I get in the car sometimes it syncs to my phone, sometimes it does not. Sometimes it drops out at random. When syncing, it has to babble "sync is connecting to your phone and is reminding you that 911 assist is turned to off", Instead of giving a beep and letting you use your phone. The noise rejection is so poor I can only use it when I'm stopped. None of the text features work and many of the features that do work, like the phone book, are disabled while driving. There is nothing sync does that a $35.00 blue tooth headset cannot do better. btw, any blue tooth headset will work with the "voice recognition" capability in my Galaxy phone. I finally just turned it off.

BTW, here is the privacy policy in my sync manual:

Vehicle Health Report Privacy Notice:

....Ford may collect your cell number ...and may also collect additional vehicle information. Ford may use this information for any purpose. (Including voiding your warranty?) If you do not want to disclose your cell phone number or other vehicle information, do not run this feature or set up your vehicle health report profile at syncmyride.com.
sync is a Microsoft product, giving them your cell # and driving habits is not on my list of stuff to go along with.

The Shaker 500 in also crap inho. I like the controls but did not like the base and the mids and highs seemed muffled. I replaced the factory amp with a Sony amp, and the door subs with the Shelby subs. I replaced the 6x8s in the doors with Pioneer speakers and it sounds pretty good now. I do like the ability to control an Ipod with the steering wheel controls, and the fact the Ipod can stay in the console.

Quick Reply: add SYNC to 2011 base model