Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

add SYNC to 2011 base model

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:12 PM
iq2002

Originally Posted by Krisheinold
If you contact your dealer and they say they can do it i will def be doing this mod. I had a ford fusion before my mustang and i loved sync. I may have to contact some dealers around here to see if they would want to try it out
I'm going to try to do some research first and see if I can program it on my own (through the USB and not through a VCM like the install manual states).

The module itself as I understand now is a base system that can be configured to the car's specific accessories. I believe now that it's fairly an universal computer compatible with most ford stereos and programming is required to make adjustments, say whether the voice controls will come from an HMI unit or from the steering wheels. Configuration would become more complex if you added navigation, rear view camera, sat radio, etc. In other words, in the assembly line the module is just another piece of hardware, but upon completion of the car a sync technician would program it to the car's specifics (probably using a VCM)

The inclusion of the VIN I pressume is not only to keep track of the software installations per car model for feedback and data but also to restrict installation on car models where sync comes as part of the package. I mean, why would anyone opt for the factory built in sync and pay thousands more right? This argument of course is flawed for the factory sync is much MUCH better than the sync kit and if Ford is smart they would not only promote the sync kit for all current car models but also on much older ones as well. For the moment I'm assuming that they've been so concerned in making sync a new car selling point that they haven't had time to retrofit it in all their cars.

Maybe I'm complaining too much here. I'm very grateful this kit exists in the first place The USB and the Bluetooth alone are completely worth the trouble and the voice command would just knock it out of the ballpark altogether. And I am asking too much. Especially when with my previous car I was just thrilled to have power windows and a working CD player

Last edited by iq2002; 04-25-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Krisheinold

Any new updates?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 AM
iq2002

Any new updates?
I've been busy with some personal matters lately but here's where I'm at

I logged into the SYNC website with my Ford Owner account (if you own a ford you should have one) and it told me that my VIN was invalid and that I should download the "SYNC status checker" into a USB drive, hook it up to my sync and run diagnostics. The USB then should record something from it, and then upload it to my SYNC account thus validating my VIN.

After several attempts I couldn't get it to download so I talked to the Support guys and guess what, they ask for the VIN first and then say that I don't have SYNC. I tell them that I had it installed and they say that it's not possible. I played dumb and told them my bad. I thought I had it. I didn't want to press the issue further with the rep for they had my information and wasn't sure the legality of this issue. I don't suppose they'll sue me for modding my own car! But sure as hell they don't need to support my sync.

Anyhow, if anyone else has a better luck downloading the diagnostics checker program and post it for share on the web for me to download I would appreciate it. I don't see why an "invalid" VIN should keep me from downloading the file. Otherwise I'll try to tackle this at a later date. I've been thinking of adding new steering wheels and try to incorporate the SYNC buttons from there anyways.

I'm going to take my time on this one. I'm in no hurry and I know it's possible. To tell you honestly I'm pretty happy with it right now and I don't have many reasons to go gunho for it.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Krisheinold

It's not illegal. The car is yours and you bought the sync kit. They just won't give you support unless you get a hold of someone nice enough to.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 PM
iq2002

It's not illegal. The car is yours and you bought the sync kit. They just won't give you support unless you get a hold of someone nice enough to.
i did enough research on the matter. updating the sync on my own is plain impossible. downloading the sync status checker seems to be just a a big issue even with the regular sync customers. support seems to be poor. my job is IT and i tapped my usual sources for some ideas but nada. i tried everything short of hooking up the usb cable directly to the computer while sync was active in the car. i may try that down the road...

anyhow i found another thread running along in this forum regarding the same sync kit but for 09 and 08's. they pretty much talked about the same issue as I - no talk button capabilities. Some where successful in getting theirs programmed thru small shops. so to your question, yes i believe it will work if you can get someone willing to program it. they'll need the VCM and the IDS program/account like the sync kit install instructions talk about.

as for me, i also found that the mic works without the HMI. all it needed was just to reset the sync and pair the phone from scratch. i can answer and dial out using the stock phone button from the radio. to be honest, i was bothered by the appearance of the HMI and that was why i was looking into integrating some steering wheels with the sync buttons. since i have access to phone and usb i'm set. i don't think i'll try to get the voice commands.

what MIGHT happen in a year or two is that there will be enough follow up on computer geeks more expert than i that will hack the system for customization and whatnots. apparently hacking is already occurring and ford is welcoming it. i may take a another crack at it then.

for the time being take my word for it. i'm damn sure that programming will work. and even if it doesn't, usb and bluetooth for $60? and you get to control it all from your stock radio. it doesn't get any better than that. like i mentioned before, splicing into the SJB is different for the 10+. i'll leave you with some pics now.

taking the center console is a cinch. you need it to take the stereo out and run the usb cable.

the sync fits above the glove compartment like it would have if it had been installed by factory. there's an addon you can buy for the 2010+ but i just used tie ins.

the SJB box. the power you need is behind that white level.

JSB box tapped.

this spot is really perfect for the HMI. i took it down now.

my attempt at enjoying the bluetooth connection in combination with my ipad. i used a "big" sticky pad on top of the dashboard. the ipad case is a "Snugg" but any flip case would do.

Last edited by iq2002; 05-04-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

Thinking back on my 09 Sync installation, I think the programming process the Ford dealer went through must have registered my car with Ford showing that my car had Sync installed. When I went to Syncmyride.com and signed up, it asked for my VIN and it registered. Then I went through the process with the blank USB drive detecting the Sync rev level in my car and it updated my status on the website. Seems like if the VIN was registered with Ford during the programming process it would know my rev level too but maybe they check it just to make sure before you down load an upgrade. I’ve upgraded my system with at least 3 or 4 upgrades and the upgrades worked fine.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 AM
jims777

Congrats on the install, iq2002. You've tempted me into ordering the kit. I have a couple of questions, mostly revolving around how well this integrates with the radio LCD. Right now I'm using a bluetooth transmitter plugged into the line-in in the center console and the only thing that really bugs me is the radio LCD always just shows LINE.

I see in one of your pics the radio says "SYNC" and it looks like it says "bluetooth media" or something. If you were to stream Pandora from your phone or tablet, it wouldn't have any way of knowing the song title to display, right? And also you wouldn't be able to control/navigate to the next track over the bluetooth connection?

And does playing songs over the USB connection from a thumbdrive or whatever display the song title on the LCD? I would think it would since it does for MP3 CDs.

Last question, does the SYNC kit display text messages from your phone on the radio LCD? Not a deal breaker by any means, but that would be awesome.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM
iq2002

Originally Posted by jims777
Congrats on the install, iq2002. You've tempted me into ordering the kit. I have a couple of questions, mostly revolving around how well this integrates with the radio LCD. Right now I'm using a bluetooth transmitter plugged into the line-in in the center console and the only thing that really bugs me is the radio LCD always just shows LINE.

I see in one of your pics the radio says "SYNC" and it looks like it says "bluetooth media" or something. If you were to stream Pandora from your phone or tablet, it wouldn't have any way of knowing the song title to display, right? And also you wouldn't be able to control/navigate to the next track over the bluetooth connection?

And does playing songs over the USB connection from a thumbdrive or whatever display the song title on the LCD? I would think it would since it does for MP3 CDs.

Last question, does the SYNC kit display text messages from your phone on the radio LCD? Not a deal breaker by any means, but that would be awesome.
Let me see if I can answer all if the questions without losing track

I haven't played with Pandora but when I stream music through my iPhone the LCD displays simply says "Bluetooth Streaming". No titles or time. The nice thing however is that I can navigate the music though the stock stereo. I press the right and left arrow just like when navigating though my CD and the phone complies. Likewise if I change or skip songs from the phone it works as if you had a pair of Bluetooth speakers connected to the phone. I'm pretty sure Pandora will work the same.

For the USB connection, yes you guessed correctly. Song displays just fine. Keep it in mind that this works only for Alpha-numerical titles. If you have songs in say in Japanese it will not display properly. The Mp3 will play nonetheless.

My only gripe about the USB connection is that you cannot navigate it like you would with a CD burned with MP3 files. I don't know if you've tried but if you burn a CD with mp3's the stock radio can play them. Skipping through folders you simpy press the up or down arrow from the radio. With the USB feed you can't do that. The music is read and played alpha- numerically per song title only. Even if you organize the USB with multiple folders SYNC will index and organize your music just like iTunes. I wish I could skip folders

Lastly the TxT feature seems to be part of the programming so no, I cannot see or receive texts.

One added feature of the stock radio controls I found is that I can use the numerical buttons to dial out! So if you remember the phone number you don't need to whip out the phone to make calls.

I hope I answered all the questions. I do recommend getting it. Definitely worth at $60 on eBay.

Last edited by iq2002; 06-06-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

Sync indexes all the USB files so you can access them by track name, artist, album, playlist, etc. using the voice feature. Of course all of that control is lost without the voice feature.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:02 AM
hdvalente

Originally Posted by iq2002
I've been busy with some personal matters lately but here's where I'm at

I logged into the SYNC website with my Ford Owner account (if you own a ford you should have one) and it told me that my VIN was invalid and that I should download the "SYNC status checker" into a USB drive, hook it up to my sync and run diagnostics. The USB then should record something from it, and then upload it to my SYNC account thus validating my VIN.

After several attempts I couldn't get it to download so I talked to the Support guys and guess what, they ask for the VIN first and then say that I don't have SYNC. I tell them that I had it installed and they say that it's not possible. I played dumb and told them my bad. I thought I had it. I didn't want to press the issue further with the rep for they had my information and wasn't sure the legality of this issue. I don't suppose they'll sue me for modding my own car! But sure as hell they don't need to support my sync.

Anyhow, if anyone else has a better luck downloading the diagnostics checker program and post it for share on the web for me to download I would appreciate it. I don't see why an "invalid" VIN should keep me from downloading the file. Otherwise I'll try to tackle this at a later date. I've been thinking of adding new steering wheels and try to incorporate the SYNC buttons from there anyways.

I'm going to take my time on this one. I'm in no hurry and I know it's possible. To tell you honestly I'm pretty happy with it right now and I don't have many reasons to go gunho for it.
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and also got my first Mustang a week ago.
I have a 2012 base model and I purchased a few items to try to get the SYNC working on mine. Sync buttons for the steering wheel, SYNC kit, SYNC module bracket and SYNC auto-dimm mirror w/ compass.
I was able to download the "SYNC status checker" even after having my VIN not recognized.
I shoud get all the parts this week but I was wondering if you were able to add the voice capability to your SYNC or not.
Thanks

Quick Reply: add SYNC to 2011 base model