Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have aftermarket rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Default Anybody have aftermarket rotors?

hey guys. well i went to a car show and had my mustang IN the actual show. and was horribly embarrassed cause of this loud irritating squeek coming from a wheel, that i got from an accident over a year ago (last january.) ive had it looked at 3 times and nobody seems to be able to fix it, so i was gunna try and just replace whole sections rather than pinpoint specific parts. so i was wondering if anybody has any aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors and how you like them? on ebay they claim to have a 35% more stopping power and stuff. anny info you guys could share?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

I would recommend slotted over drilled rotors. Drilled rotors will begin to form hairline cracks moving outwards from the drilled holes. Although, drilled rotors do look very nice.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 AM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

I went with the Baer Decelerator Rotors and hawk HPS pads. Braking is a little better, but it looks 1,000 times better!

Before:

After:

Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I have EBC slotted and dimpled rotors on the gt. I have really been pleased with the look and function of these.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I have ATE grooved rotors on the Maxima (fronts only), along with Hawk HPS pads all around. No noise, and they don't seem to have developed any grooving caused by dirt after over a year of use, so I think you'd be happy with them.

Sam Strano carries both of these items, and I'm about to order a full set for my '08.

Norm
Old 05-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
... horribly embarrassed cause of this loud irritating squeek coming from a wheel, that i got from an accident over a year ago (last january.)...
I had a similar problem (from the sound of it) in which there was a squeaking coming from the rear end, that had to do directly with the rotation of the wheels. At first I assumed it was the brakepads, but then after those were replaced, I still heard the squeaking!

It was later determined that the squeak was a result of a dented rear axle which was moving the calipers around, thus causing the noises.

How bad was the accident? Were you hit on one side? Foot on brake at the time of impact?

I would have never guessed the rear axle was damaged because my car was riding pretty well, but that noise just wouldn't go away. Perhaps you have a similar quandary.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fred Malibu
I had a similar problem (from the sound of it) in which there was a squeaking coming from the rear end, that had to do directly with the rotation of the wheels. At first I assumed it was the brakepads, but then after those were replaced, I still heard the squeaking!

It was later determined that the squeak was a result of a dented rear axle which was moving the calipers around, thus causing the noises.

How bad was the accident? Were you hit on one side? Foot on brake at the time of impact?

I would have never guessed the rear axle was damaged because my car was riding pretty well, but that noise just wouldn't go away. Perhaps you have a similar quandary.
when i got in the accident it was raining so the road was slick, and i was heavily accelerating on a turn... im never doing that again. my rear end lost traction and i spun out and was thrown into a curb and onto the sidewalk. my driverside hit the curb but the sound comes from my passenger side. in the accident i broke my old 16 inch wheels, rear axle, driveshaft, and emergencey brake lines. i dont recall but im sure i was braking at the time.

they replaced my rear axle, and wheels. when i took it back for the squeek they said it was my brake pads so i took it to another shop and they changed my pads and said that should fix it. the noise continued so i took it back to the ford dealer, they looked it over and said it was my driveshaft so they replaced that. the noise continued so i had another place look at it and they said its my pads just settling in.

so nobody is helping me and theyr trying to find whatever is easiest and cheapest for them. whenever they put it on a lift the noise goes away, so they think they fix it, but then about 3-4 days, the wheels settle, then it returns.

the noise changes, depending if im applying the brakes it gets faster and louder, if im just cruising its a very rythmic squeek and not much change, when i turn left, the pressure of the mustang makes the squeek louder, if i turn right, the mustang releives pressure on the passenger side and the squeek can be almost silent.

i would just change the whole rear axle, but i am planning to do a motor swap within this year, so i dont want to spend 1500 on a rear axle when im going to upgrade again later.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Tpjb57

Default what about centric

what about Centric cross drilled and slotted rotors, lifetime warranty, zinc finish only $270 for all four rotors? anybody have any experience with these?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Anybody hava the Granetelli rotors? They look really cool but Ive heard bad things about Granitelli.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:42 AM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Rotor isn't going to have anything to do with the squeak you are experiencing. It sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me.

Quick Reply: Anybody have aftermarket rotors?