Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Consumption Stats

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
Yeah, yeah...

I keep meticulous records on all my vehicles, hoping whoever buys them after me appreciates it, knowing how well I take care of them.
Same here. I have an excel spreadsheet with date/mileage/cost of any maintenance or modification I do. I hate wondering "when did I change my front brake pads?". I started doing this with my last daily driver and it was very helpful. I also keep all my receipts but it's easier to look at a spreadsheet.

Last edited by Adam; 02-11-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:13 PM
PSU Ben

Hey, you're not alone! If it's any consolation, I too am an engineer = P

Here's my stats:
Driving season ending December 31, 2009 (my DD so she does see snow) / purchased August 29
Days in service: 124
Total Fuel spend: $1,156.75
Total Fuel (gallons): 443.423
Total Miles Driven: 10,033.2
Avg Gallons/Day: 3.5760
Avg Gallons/Fill: 13.4371
Avg Cost/Fill: $35.05
Avg Fuel Price: $2.609
Avg MPG: 22.6267
Avg Fuel Cost/Mile: $0.12
Avg Fuel Cost/Day: $9.32

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
So I just finished running the stats for my fuel consumption for the 2009 Driving season (I put my car away for the winter here in MI... November 7th it went into hibernation).

Since I'm an engineer, I'm huge on numbers, stats, and such. That said, since I logged all my fill-ups, with receipts (I'm borderline OCD like that), here's some interesting data on my vehicle. If you have some on your car, post up!

Driving Season ending November 7, 2009
Days in service: 207
Total Fuel spend: $1,200.21
Total Fuel (gallons): 459.073
Total Miles Driven: 10,077.4
Avg Gallons/Day: 2.2177
Avg Gallons/Fill: 12.7520
Avg Cost/Fill: $33.34
Avg Fuel Price: $2.616
Avg MPG: 21.95163
Avg Fuel Cost/Mile: $0.12
Avg Fuel Cost/Day: $5.80
Old 02-11-2010, 07:25 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I don't have an Excel spreadsheet but I DO SCAN all my work receipts, purchase receipts in and keep them
Old 02-11-2010, 07:41 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSU Ben
Hey, you're not alone! If it's any consolation, I too am an engineer = P

Great minds think alike... in stats, records, and silver stripes.

Last edited by FordEngineer; 02-11-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Hey i love the silver Stripes, but I wish I had time to do all of calculations, But props to you guys! I know I get 19.4 MPG around city driving and some HWY!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

I've got the maintenance spreadsheet going with mileage/cost/item serviced.

I've got a phyiscal notebook labeled "2010 Mustang" with every little piece of related ephemera & all receipts to my ride and ancillary purchases. Original window sticker included

I've got a "2010Mustang" directory on one of my partitions with hundreds of megabytes of data (includes some 300+ files in 70+ subfolders). This has everything 2010 Mustang related (PDFs of Ford documents such as the owner's manual, TSBs, scanned copies of receipts, pictures, vendor information, catalogs, "how-to" info, etc.)

Plus I've got plenty of gas receipts with the MPG written on the back of each.

What I don't have is the current mileage at each fill. Now that I've seen the great data which FordEngineer and PSU Ben posted -- I'm pissed I didn't do this from day 1!

For me, this is partially what makes owning a car easier and more enjoyable overall: instant access to needed knowledge about its history and what you've done to it. Like AJ mentioned, I too started doing this with my last ride.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:37 PM
PSU Ben

'ditto' I keep a folder in my car with pictures, stats, window sticker, bought just about every dealer brochure, etc. May come in handy when I take it to some Mustang shows, you never know. What I'm trying to find now is a nice 1:18 scale model that isn't a convertible. Haven't found one yet.

Originally Posted by 7up
I've got the maintenance spreadsheet going with mileage/cost/item serviced.

I've got a phyiscal notebook labeled "2010 Mustang" with every little piece of related ephemera & all receipts to my ride and ancillary purchases. Original window sticker included

I've got a "2010Mustang" directory on one of my partitions with hundreds of megabytes of data (includes some 300+ files in 70+ subfolders). This has everything 2010 Mustang related (PDFs of Ford documents such as the owner's manual, TSBs, scanned copies of receipts, pictures, vendor information, catalogs, "how-to" info, etc.)

Plus I've got plenty of gas receipts with the MPG written on the back of each.

What I don't have is the current mileage at each fill. Now that I've seen the great data which FordEngineer and PSU Ben posted -- I'm pissed I didn't do this from day 1!

For me, this is partially what makes owning a car easier and more enjoyable overall: instant access to needed knowledge about its history and what you've done to it. Like AJ mentioned, I too started doing this with my last ride.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSU Ben
What I'm trying to find now is a nice 1:18 scale model that isn't a convertible. Haven't found one yet.
They make 'em in the standard "Hot Wheels ®" size (is that 1:64? I'm not a Hot Wheels aficionado.) You may already have known this -- see the 7th picture here:

Tiny 2010 Mustang

I got one for the holidays from the g/f -- as did the poster of the above message. But I suppose they're a bit small for car shows.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Zoom_H
1st Gear Member

i don't go nearly as detailed as you FE, all I do is write down miles driven prior to the fillup, and write down the mpg for that fillup, all on the receipt.

I think I'm averaging around 23mpg overall in 50/50 stop-n-go/highway driving, higher mpg during summer and lower during winter.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

how are you guys getting such good MPG's?

I'm running 14.5-15 mpg...period. I do drive fairly sprited I guess
Originally Posted by Zoom_H
i don't go nearly as detailed as you FE, all I do is write down miles driven prior to the fillup, and write down the mpg for that fillup, all on the receipt.

I think I'm averaging around 23mpg overall in 50/50 stop-n-go/highway driving, higher mpg during summer and lower during winter.
I used to do the data tracking in Excell, but everytime I deploy the wife invariably fails to keep any reciepts or mileage when I'm gone.

so I have gaps...sucks

Quick Reply: Fuel Consumption Stats