Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 04:28 PM
jmp6889928

Default Seat swap

I have a 2014 Mustang Premium currently. 3.7L with a lot of handling mods and some engine mods for track days. The list of mods is long and extensive and the car handles extremely well along with big brakes all around and GT500 sways and Ford Motorsport struts with Steeda springs. A Fays2 Watts link on the rear and full PU bushings. Much more done to the car and it's at about 368 HP and is light, hence the reason I chose the 6 cylinder version, not to mention the engine sitting behind the front axle axis also helps tremendously.

I HAD another 2014 Mustang standard that had a lot of the parts listed above. In November of 2016, this car was hit from behind at 50+ mph while sitting at a stoplight, driving me up under an SUV and needless to say, it destroyed the car,

My insurance company sold me the wrecked 2014 Mustang and the wrecked car, along with some of the parts listed above, had complete Recaro interior-front and rear seats. I really want to put these seats into my current Mustang but there is a problem in installing them.

The wrecked car was a standard seat car-manual adjustments on the seat bases and no air lumbar control. The current car has electric leather seats and the air lumbar control.

The question for this long diatribe is:

I want to remove the Recaro front seats from their bases and install them onto the electric bases and make them work. I tried just a direct swap with the standard manual bases, and while the electronics plugs are the same plug, the wiring is not. When I plugged them in, it caused all kinds of weird electrical problems on the dash and throughout the car.

Has anyone removed seats from the actual base, and can I make this work?
Old 05-03-2018, 04:29 PM
jmp6889928

By the way, I'm pretty new to this particular forum but I'm a veteran on several other forums for other vehicles. I'm an ASE certified master (although I don't do it for a living) and can understand whatever you tell me. I'm wondering if it's just going to be easier to rearrange the plug to make it work.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:21 PM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmp6889928
By the way, I'm pretty new to this particular forum but I'm a veteran on several other forums for other vehicles. I'm an ASE certified master (although I don't do it for a living) and can understand whatever you tell me. I'm wondering if it's just going to be easier to rearrange the plug to make it work.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
So... since you're a vet AND an ASE Certified Master (Tech, not Jedi, I assume) these may be stupid questions:
1. Have you utilized the "SEARCH" function?
2. Have you compared PIN OUTS for both seats so you understand WHAT is different?

The SRS systems may be different in ways you're not sure of, possibly making the vehicle extremely unsafe in the event of another accident (God Forbid), should the seat swap work.

That would be my main concern. Safety. Especially given the circumstances. Are the exterior materials not transferable? We buy and install new covers on all kinds of high end vehicles at my shop. Hellcats, Z06s, Shelbys, etc. so that should be the easiest and quickest fix. I'm not familiar enough with the base models VS Recaros to know if that's a possibility.

Good luck man, glad you're okay!
Old 05-03-2018, 07:02 PM
jmp6889928

Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger
So... since you're a vet AND an ASE Certified Master (Tech, not Jedi, I assume) these may be stupid questions:
1. Have you utilized the "SEARCH" function?
2. Have you compared PIN OUTS for both seats so you understand WHAT is different?

The SRS systems may be different in ways you're not sure of, possibly making the vehicle extremely unsafe in the event of another accident (God Forbid), should the seat swap work.

That would be my main concern. Safety. Especially given the circumstances. Are the exterior materials not transferable? We buy and install new covers on all kinds of high end vehicles at my shop. Hellcats, Z06s, Shelbys, etc. so that should be the easiest and quickest fix. I'm not familiar enough with the base models VS Recaros to know if that's a possibility.

Good luck man, glad you're okay!
Thanks much for the reply. I have not looked at the pin out as of yet but I'm with you as I want to make sure the airbags are correct and work as designed.

I was hoping someone had done this swap already and had a quick fix idea for it. I can trace the plugs but it's a pain in the rear. It might be the only option, but I would really like to retain the power seat base that's on the original seats in the car now.

Obviously, Ford puts the seats on the seat bases, so it can be done, It might be easiest to just rearrange the pins and make it work with the manual seats. It's not like I move the seats around much anyway, so basically, once set, it's done.

I'll look at the pins and see what does what. I'm pretty sure it can't be more than probably just 2 pins for the power and ground for the electric motors for the standard seats.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:55 PM
jmp6889928

Tonight, I removed the DS seat and examined the pins in the electric heated leather premium seats. There are 2 power pins on the top on the outside on both opposing sides of the 12 center pinholes and 2 grounds on the outside underneath the power pins. Both of the hots are constant 12V as they control the actual seat motors and are on all the time for adjustment.

In the center 12 pinholes, only the upper 6 are utilized. One of the holes becomes hot when the ignition key is turned on. The next two must be a return circuit because they are not hot. The remaining three are for the seat belt sensor.

The Recaro seats only have the 3 pins for the seat belt sensor. Both have the same yellow air bag separate plugs which are identical on both seats.

I need to find out what the return circuit is on the chassis plug and if someone has a complete wiring diagram, I would be most grateful. I can either fake it out with a jumper or perhaps a resistor would be a better way to go. Without the diagram, I don't know what it's back feeding.

If you have a link or could possibly email a wiring diagram for the chassis that shows the actual seats, I would be most grateful.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:36 PM
jmp6889928

Wow....I guess no one has ever done this seat swap or no one want's to even approach it with any ideas.

Sorry to have bothered. I'll find a different forum that might be willing to even chat about it.

Enjoy1
Old 05-13-2018, 06:29 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Lets just move along and get back to the subject of the seat swap issue! Thanks
Old 05-13-2018, 07:34 PM
jmp6889928

So, my posts have been removed by a moderator because they didn't like the fact that I wouldn't lay down and take the crap from one of them. Imagine that. I'll move along to another forum.

Enjoy because I doubt anyone really is.