Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 OEM 10GB Jukebox waste of time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:41 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

Default 2010 OEM 10GB Jukebox waste of time?

So I've been going through the options on how to play music in my 2010.

I have the NAV system which comes with the 10GB hard disk.

Like many of us I have music on CD and I've purchased albums and singles from Amazon and iTunes.

Here is my summary of the choices:

Bluetooth Playback from my iPhone:

Works ok with the following caveats: No Album Art, No Voice Based control over playlist/artist, can't skip tracks, phone has shorter battery life due to usage.

iPod connected to the USB port:

Works fantastic (and sounds better) with the following caveats: No Album Art, Chance of theft when leaving with the valet

Data DVD with MP3 and M4A:

Works great (plus you get Album Art) with the following caveats: Playlists are really folder bound. When you want a song in more than one playlist you need to put it into multiple folders. Any older iTunes files have to be upgraded to iTunes + in order for it to work. Have to reburn a disk each time you get creative.

JukeBox:

Only can import from Audio CD with 10 to 16 tracks per disk. It would take me DAYS to actually use the jukebox. All of my downloads would have to burned to Audio CD and then imported. Any downloaded singles would not be recognized by the GraceNote database and would have to manually named and would be missing Album Art.

At this point I am going with an iPod through the USB connection and living without the album art. The DVD option is really slick and eliminates the need to worry about the iPod being stolen when I valet. I only wish I could transfer my audio files from the DVD to the jukebox.

Am I the only one that find the JukeBox a total joke?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:52 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I have the NAV as well.

I haven't actually tried to do any of the methods except for iPod through the USB. I have so much music that any of the other methods seem to be problematic for me. I have a 160GB iPod which is probably 85% full and most of it is music and audio books. I wish the iPod album art worked and further, it would be really cool if the screen would show music videos, even if only when sitting still. I know the music video issue is probably because of legal problems, but why not let it show movies/videos when you are stopped?

As for the Jukebox, since you have to rip from a CD I cannot see the usefulness of it. They should let you upload via memory stick on the USB at least. I don't have time to be messing around with burning CD's, then taking them out to be ripped.

Better yet, I saw an aftermarket system (I think it was the Kenwood Vault?) that allowed you to use software on you home PC and while your car is sitting in the driveway/garage, you just wifi the music right to the vault/on board drive. Now that is freaking cool and very user friendly!
Old 02-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

can I plug an iphone in with its USB? Will it know to go to the ipod function? Can it be hooked up to USB for music and connected via bluetooth for calls? Or is it only one function.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:59 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

Thunder:

Yes you can have the iPhone/iPod Touch do USB and BlueTooth. The primary issue I have with using my iPhone over USB is that I sync my iPhone every day and my music content is always changing. Everytime you sync your iPhone/iPod SYNC has to re-index the content in order to prepare for your voice commands. Thus the experience will be:

Get in the car.
Not be able to listen to your music for 3-8 minutes while it indexes (varies on how much content you have on your iPhone)
On short drives the experience is totally unacceptable as I will have arrived before any music starts playing.

The best solution for using your iPhone/iPod Touch (in my opinion) is using the BlueTooth Streaming AND this cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Matias-Blocker...dp/B001QZPO5Y/

This cable allows you to block SYNC from talking to your iPhone/iPod Touch over USB but allow you to charge it. The result is a charged iPhone/iPod Touch and you have avoided the re-indexing nonsense.

Last edited by douglasland; 02-13-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

almost sounds easier to just buy a cheap nano. That way I can just leave it there except when I want to put new songs on the ipod. As you noted, the sound is better going from a hard wire than over bluetooth.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:02 AM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

That's what I've settled at for the moment.

I just don't like that fact that the iPod can be stolen when I valet the car. Yes I can lock the console but I have to give the valet the key so that pretty much defeats the purpose.

I also wish I had album art.

That being said the voice recognition continues to amaze me that it understands what I am saying even when I have to top down.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:57 AM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by douglasland
That's what I've settled at for the moment.

I just don't like that fact that the iPod can be stolen when I valet the car. Yes I can lock the console but I have to give the valet the key so that pretty much defeats the purpose.

I also wish I had album art.

That being said the voice recognition continues to amaze me that it understands what I am saying even when I have to top down.
Only car I ever let be valet is the yukon, after seeing ferris bueller's day off, and all the youtube vids of valets taking sports cars and running them super hard, I either take the yukon or park the vette my self and it will be the same with the mustang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjG8OIieOOw
Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

I use the jukebox and really like it... I basically take the songs I would normally listen to on sat radio and slowly have been putting them in the car. Sure it takes a little bit to get everything on there. But we have sat radio for free for 6 months in our cars, so I use that as I am putting cd after cd into my car. Now I have a couple very good playlists in my car and never have to worry about other devices.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:51 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lax07
I use the jukebox and really like it... I basically take the songs I would normally listen to on sat radio and slowly have been putting them in the car. Sure it takes a little bit to get everything on there. But we have sat radio for free for 6 months in our cars, so I use that as I am putting cd after cd into my car. Now I have a couple very good playlists in my car and never have to worry about other devices.
We have SAT Radio?

Just kidding..... I have never been into SAT Radio. I haven't even tried it on the Mustang. I will keep the service though, because I like the traffic and movie times functions.

How many people actually use SAT Radio? I'm just curious.....
Old 02-14-2010, 06:05 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by douglasland
So I've been going through the options on how to play music in my 2010.

iPod connected to the USB port:

Works fantastic (and sounds better) with the following caveats: No Album Art, Chance of theft when leaving with the valet

Data DVD with MP3 and M4A:

Works great (plus you get Album Art) with the following caveats: Playlists are really folder bound. When you want a song in more than one playlist you need to put it into multiple folders. Any older iTunes files have to be upgraded to iTunes + in order for it to work. Have to reburn a disk each time you get creative.
Microsoft Sync supports playlist files that can be located the root of your drive. The play list then has the folder name and the track and it works great. I added the instructions on how to create them on the Microsoft Sync website last year.

Last edited by 8178A; 02-14-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 OEM 10GB Jukebox waste of time?