Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind shield wipers vs GEM MODULAR

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:28 PM
jetjock007

Question wind shield wipers vs GEM MODULAR

2006 MUSTANG v6, manual, 62k mileage, owned for 4 years

so I was driving and my windshield wipers took it upon themselves to just start wiping my dry windshield. The switch was off but they just randomly activated themselves. Then my keyless entry was given me problems and not working. So I took it to Mike Shad Ford.

The next morning I get a call from Ford and I need to replace my GEM MODULAR. Total cost equaling $640, which includes $280 for labor. Well I told them that I purchased the extended warranty. See I leased this car originally brand new and then bought it out of its lease last summer. When I bought it, I went ahead and financed it and specified I want the warranty to cover anything and everything since it was a used car. I dont sell cars and do the financing for them, so I am not the expert...aka, I am losing faith with Ford.

Well needless to say, not to keen on Ford because apparently I bought the warranty that is the BASE and it is limited to covered parts. https://www.fordwarrantys.com/baseCare.cfm . I thought I had bought the PREMIUM CARE, at least that is what I told the guy doing the paperwork and deal. https://www.fordwarrantys.com/premiumCare.cfm .

So I talked with a friend that is a mechanic long distance away and he said it should be something easy I can replace myself and fix.

So, question is..

How do I get this part ?....
What is part number ?....
Where is cheapest place to buy?
Is one GEM better than another?....
Where is it located in car?...
How easy is it to change?...

apparently it is a box that you just unplug the old one and plug in the new...i saw some other forums out on the web, but they were not that helpful. any help is appreciated....i just dont have the money to fix something like that. If you can answer any of these questions...thank you so much for any help.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've never heard of a GEM MODULAR. But I have heard of the infamous water leak (see the TSB in the stickies) that often results in all kinds of electrical gremlins via corrosion of the SJB (Smart Junction Box). If that's your problem, consider $640 a break. Others here have had the water leak issue damage quoted as high as over $6,000.00 (yeah, you read that right; six THOUSAND)...