Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should i pay for this 427R?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I like its hood scoop.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 PM
KingB21
2nd Gear Member

that is a sweet car.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:27 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
I have some sound advice here from a guy who has personally owned 53 cars. If this is the car you want DO NOT lose it haggling over a thousand dollars..
+1. It seems the guy is pretty intent on 29, dont lose it trying to haggle if it is the car you want. Buyers market or not, someone WILL pay 29 for it. So ask yourself, would you rather that someone be you, or another happy buyer.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

You only live once, go for it!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:13 AM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

Personally I would try to haggle a little...27K, 28K...but if it was obvious that this guy just was not going to have it I would just go for it!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

I do not think $29,000 is a bad buy considering what you are getting. Not to mention you don't see a lot of these cars around so they do have a collectible status to them. The only problem I see is that you are going to have to go back to work to get that new engine compartment up to par and looking as good as your old car.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Here are four universal rules that, if followed closely, will make you a better negotiator.

Rule No. 1: Never Want the Deal Too Badly. You never can get a bargain on something you really, really want. Once the other side sees you are desperate to have something, they will make sure you pay top dollar for it. In any negotiation, the loser is always the player who needs the deal more than the other player does. Your goal in any negotiation is to persuade the other guy that he needs the deal more than you do, and that you are prepared to walk away from the table at any time and look for better deals.

Rule No. 2: Never Give Up Something Without Getting Something in Return. Never agree to something, even something you don't care much about, without getting something from the other side in return. You may be tempted to give up something because you want to appear proactive, friendly or nice. But negotiators are funny people -- whenever you do that, they don't see it the same way you do. Instead, they think you are weak, or that you need the deal more than they do. So they start bargaining harder by asking for even more "freebies" from you. Before someone will negotiate fairly with you, they must respect you -- and they won't respect you if you make it too easy for them.

Rule No. 3: Never Agree to Something That Doesn't Make Sense. Never get so caught up in the momentum of getting a deal done that you forget why you are doing the deal in the first place. If the other side asks you to give up something that will make the deal no longer worthwhile to you, tell them so -- and offer up a compromise that will give you what you need while addressing the other side's (legitimate) concern.

Rule No. 4: Know When to Stop Negotiating. Like any game, negotiations don't go on forever. The longer it takes to get a deal done, the more likely it is that the deal will never happen. At some point, the benefits to be gained by haggling over small points are outweighed by the negatives -- when that point has been reached, and you've got a good deal you can live with, don't try to "gild the lily." Get the deal done, and move on.

As a ROUSH guy myself, I believe the car is worth 29K & you are very close to violating RULE #4...
Old 02-17-2010, 09:54 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

very nicely written and precise....

hopefully this morning i took care of our deal and didnt violate rule #4....

we spoke this morning and among what i said was that i know what the car is worth and i do understand that 29k (his asking price) is a good deal and agreed to it....

im giving something by agreeing to the 29k but i will need something in return....he will probably need to drive the car from Tallahassee down here to central florida so my bank can inspect the vehicle and sign papers all there face to face....i also need him to contact my loan manager to answer questions about the title, original purchase price, and whatnot....

i believe that by agreeing to his asking price, he will be more willing to cooperate and do what is needed within reason to get this deal done...

hopefully i havent given too much....
Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Congrats. I dont think you gave in to much. Some things are not negotiable no matter how hard you try. Apparently this guy wanted payoff and would not take less. It was obviously not negotiable. Everyone seems to agree that even at 29 it was a good deal, so enjoy it.

Besides, if most of them are in the $33-35 range and you are getting this one for 29, then just look at it as the seller already did a pretty good job of negotiating on your behalf
Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

NICE... glad to see you understand & you're putting the advice to good use!

He will indeed be likely to agree to your request, given that you're offering him the price he's asking... although technically, before offering the price, you should have proposed that the deal depends on him doing EXACTLY that.

Quick Reply: What should i pay for this 427R?