Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy to buy a 2010 GT instead of pre-ordering a 2011 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:34 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ryan T.
There are just some insane deals on the 2010 GT's left on dealer lots right now. I also have the $750 Ford Brochure coupon and I know Ford is offering 0% financing as well.

I know the 5.0 is going to be fantastic, but is it worth a 5-6k bump over the 2010? These numbers are assuming that Ford doesn't offer much in the way of incentives for awhile on the 5.0.
Yes, you would be crazy to get a 2010 now! There won't be market-adjustments to inflate the 2011 GT like the early GT500's IMO. The Mustang GT is a mass-produced car(the 5.0 replaces the 4.6, not an option to the 4.6) and not a special-edition (ie. Shelby) so an X-Plan PIN number should apply (invoice pricing).

There will be rebates on the 2011 once Ford dumps the remaining 2010 Mustangs - however long that will take!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 PM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
ts not confidence, its called money. you got 15-20 grand lying around for an engine? Not saying you dont have the money to do it, but the few guys that are close to that power leverl have sank 100k into the car easily too
I've noticed that most owners that have high-horsepower cars don't plan for them to be at that level. If one were to plan on it from the beginning, it would be a LOT more affordable than "stepping up" power levels.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 PM
swat 79
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
I do get your point.

The 2V 4.6 was not much of a mill... Good in a Lincoln but a joke in a Mustang.
Then they corrected that engine with going to 4 valves with better flowing heads.
After that, you get 3 valves.
So it's like: "Meh", "Yeah!", "meh".
And now "Yeah!" again with the 5.0
Yeah that's what I was trying to get at...but the "meh" Yeah! "meh" makes a lot of sense, I hadn't looked at it that way.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:40 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by breathegood
For all the pro-'11 guys out there that are arguing that the 5.0 is a better starting platform, please keep in mind that it also running 11:1 compression. That's great for right out of the box HP, but boost is going to be severly limited on the stock internals. Intakes, programmers, and headers are likely to produce similar gains on the 5.0 as on the 4.6, but to be able to run any kind of boost, you are going to have to cough up some $$$ to lower the compression ratio. The 4.6 3V has been well proven to love boost and it's realatively cheap and easy to get them to produce A LOT of horsepower.

I say vanity is the only reason to hold out for the '11 unless you plan on keeping it unmolested. A clearance priced '10 GT can be made to outperform an '11 and still have $ in the bank.
You seem to be forgetting the new GT350. It's blown. Only huffing 4 or 5 psi and that puts it over 500HP. Also, it is not cheap to get a 4.6 3V to the same power levels as the upcoming 5.0. The money spent on a supercharger/turbo plus installation will already throw you over the price difference of the '10 & '11 and you get none of the other little niceties of the '11; the uprated suspension, brakes, transmission, etc.

And vanity has nothing to do with wanting the twenty-'leven GT considering it and the '10 "look" identical other than the 5.0 on the fenders and a slight change to the rear valence. It's nostalgia, not vanity. Those of us who have been in the world for a while have been aching for the 5.0 to return for 16 years! Now that it's back, we'd be crazy not to jump at the opportunity to get it. For those of you that weren't alive when the 5.0 was or were just learning how to crawl/walk, its return is no big deal. For those of us in the know, yeah, it's kind of a big deal.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

2011 would be my vote for all the reason everyone has mentioned above.... Be patient. I know you are all excited, but don't let your haste let you make a mistake.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:25 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

this is simple to me: i have waited since 95 for the 5.0 to come back..2010 never!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Ryan T.

Originally Posted by Boozshey
2011 would be my vote for all the reason everyone has mentioned above.... Be patient. I know you are all excited, but don't let your haste let you make a mistake.
Yeah I definitely hear you, but it's not so much a matter of patience as cost. If I lived outside the snow-belt and could drive it year round, no doubt I'd trade in my Subaru and order a 5.0 for 30k+ tomorrow. However, as it's a summer ride, I have to be a little more conscious of cost since I'm not a super wealthy guy. To that end I've been checking out used 'stangs, and the value sweet spot seems to be in the 2006-2007 MY, where you can get a nicely optioned GT for ~17k. That might be a better option than the 2010 bare-bones for ~$24k, even though I do like the new body style a bit better.

So many choices!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:57 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rwf0011
The only downfall with the 2010 is the 5 speed instead of a 6 speed.
With skip ****, oops, I mean shift, I would not really consider that a downfall. I would rather have the 5 speed that lets ME choose the gear I want, not the car. When I want the car to decide my gear for me I will buy an auto. I realize that if you drive it hard skip shift wont interfere, but a manual is bought for driver control.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:25 PM
thedarkside
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ryan T.
Yeah I definitely hear you, but it's not so much a matter of patience as cost. If I lived outside the snow-belt and could drive it year round, no doubt I'd trade in my Subaru and order a 5.0 for 30k+ tomorrow. However, as it's a summer ride, I have to be a little more conscious of cost since I'm not a super wealthy guy. To that end I've been checking out used 'stangs, and the value sweet spot seems to be in the 2006-2007 MY, where you can get a nicely optioned GT for ~17k. That might be a better option than the 2010 bare-bones for ~$24k, even though I do like the new body style a bit better.

So many choices!
It sounds like money is an issue to you, I know it was for me :/

I picked up my one owner 2006 GT premium, with the interior upgrade, in mint condition with only 40k miles, plus the mods I wanted, just a couple weeks ago for only $15,240! 2006-2007 is definitely the value sweet spot
Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Ryan T.

Originally Posted by thedarkside
It sounds like money is an issue to you, I know it was for me :/

I picked up my one owner 2006 GT premium, with the interior upgrade, in mint condition with only 40k miles, plus the mods I wanted, just a couple weeks ago for only $15,240! 2006-2007 is definitely the value sweet spot
That's definitely part of it, yeah. I mean, you could buy TWO of your cars for the price of a base 2011 5.0! I've always just been conditioned that used cars are a better value I ...hard to get away from.

Quick Reply: Crazy to buy a 2010 GT instead of pre-ordering a 2011 5.0?