Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hot rod cams or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 05:48 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Another clip to add to the mix. Love the cams. Definitely an attention getter everywhere. Butt dyno and third gear chirps says this car is fun to drive.

[youtube]wa48iiUm75E [/youtube]
Old 02-27-2010, 07:47 PM
twilson1918
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=timmbo;6845539]Another clip to add to the mix. Love the cams. Definitely an attention getter everywhere. Butt dyno and third gear chirps says this car is fun to drive.

That sounds dirty as well. Did all of you have a shop install them or would this be something the "average" person could tackle?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:45 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
Another clip to add to the mix. Love the cams. Definitely an attention getter everywhere. Butt dyno and third gear chirps says this car is fun to drive.

[youtube]wa48iiUm75E [/youtube]
lol I'd love to get cams with such a noticable lope, but I am already pushing it with the dual cut outs.. cams would just be tooo much for my car rofl
Old 02-28-2010, 05:06 AM
mds08
1st Gear Member

I also have the Hot Rods for since they came out and I'm at 331 hp and 331 tq. on a Dyno
Jet. I have FRPP cai,BBK udp,delete plates,BBk Shorties with high flow X pipe, Dynotec driveshaft, and 410's with the help of Mac mufflers. It sounds freaking awesome and runs perfect with no regrets on any of my mods.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:07 AM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Timmbo awsome vid. I too can't say enough bout the Hurst billet shifter. I've got 10,000 miles on mine and it's still rock steady / firm.

My FRPP CAI just showed up yesterday. I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Pypes LTs and catless mid pipe... I can wait a bit to save up some more cash for the Hot Rods... Mine is a DD and I'm racking up about 20,000 / year on it... How are Hot Rods in stop and go with a manual? Anyone care to comment?

I've read the PDF on the installation. Looks pretty straight forward. Any installation issues?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:36 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by twilson1918
That sounds dirty as well. Did all of you have a shop install them or would this be something the "average" person could tackle?
Well I'm a pro mechanic for 20 years. This is a job you need to be on your toes for. It's not that it's phyically hard but you need to make sure you torque things right and in proper order. I recommend the special tools but others have done without at great risk. If you haven't done much internal engine work I would let a pro do it.

Originally Posted by robs
Timmbo awsome vid. I too can't say enough bout the Hurst billet shifter. I've got 10,000 miles on mine and it's still rock steady / firm.

My FRPP CAI just showed up yesterday. I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Pypes LTs and catless mid pipe... I can wait a bit to save up some more cash for the Hot Rods... Mine is a DD and I'm racking up about 20,000 / year on it... How are Hot Rods in stop and go with a manual? Anyone care to comment?

I've read the PDF on the installation. Looks pretty straight forward. Any installation issues?
Sounds great man. Stop and go isn't too bad with a stock driveshaft. After I installed my Shaftmasters one piece alum driveshaft I noticed a little more bucking right before coming to say a stop sign. Nothing against Shaftmasters. It's just there shaft is that good and solid lol! Follow the FRPP cams .pdf to the tee, get the proper tools meaning the valve spring compressor and cam chain wedge and you'll be golden. I had no trouble selling mine on Ebay when I was done. Got about 70% of what I spent on them but figured that into the cost of the job.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:23 PM
gafireman
1st Gear Member

I installed mine myself....took about 6 hours with the help of a friend. I only used the wedge and didn't need the compressor. Like timmbo said, just take your time and torque everything to specs and in the correct order!
Old 02-28-2010, 04:15 PM
twilson1918
2nd Gear Member

How much are the cams themselves or wheres the cheapest place to buy them? or can you only buy them from ford racing? and for install, i think when i was looking at these for my 05 brenspeed quoted $550 for install.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:05 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

Here is another video to help you make your decision.

twilson1918- If you have any mechanical skill at all you'll do fine with the install. Just follow the Ford service Manual and you'll do fine with the install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qXU80da8hc
Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by twilson1918
How much are the cams themselves or wheres the cheapest place to buy them? or can you only buy them from ford racing? and for install, i think when i was looking at these for my 05 brenspeed quoted $550 for install.
I've got a search saved on ebay. Cheapest so far is about $750+shipping. That's still a bit on the high end

Quick Reply: hot rod cams or no?