Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery keeps dieing

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:22 PM
teejay76
1st Gear Member

Default Battery keeps dieing

I have a problem with my battery that keeps dieing. My battery first died about a month ago after letting the car sit over the weekend. I checked for the obvious like the usual things that could've been left on but found nothing. There was a large amount of corrosion on the positive battery terminal though. Nevertheless I purchased a new Optima yellow top battery because I plan on upgrading my sound system in the future and installed it. Well I thought by changing the battery and cleaning the corrosion off my terminal (was also charging @ 14.2 V) that the problem was solved which it seemed to be up until I let the car sit over the weekend again. Now the car has a dead battery again (new Optima) nothing left on.

My next option is to take to car back to the dealer. Before I do does anyone have any suggestions on what can be killing my battery. I did have underdrive pullies and a new head unit installed well over a year ago but the car was fine up until a month ago.

[

Last edited by teejay76; 09-11-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Slick61
1st Gear Member

have heard the shaker system amps can continue to draw power after shutoff. As a result, I always go into the menu & shut the shaker system off, then shut the radio off, before turning the key off.

I had an 18 month old battery die on me in a similar fashion, but mine sits in the garage most of the time, except for 1 or 2 days a week. After I got a new battery, the first thing I did was order a battery tender, which keeps the battery topped off til needed.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i just had mine die a few times now car is only 2 yrs old, the factory battery is crap. so i got a red top optima well worth the money. the car really starts nice now better then ever.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

You say the charging voltage is 14.2 volts. At what rpm? Take a reading at around 2000 rpm. If the voltage is over 15 volts, you might be frying your battery.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Mine did this and it ended up being my own fault. I bought a power converter that plugs into the console power plug. It's one of those that converts that plug into a normal house outlet plug. I charge up my iPhone on it. Well, I left it plugged in to the console and left the power switch on to the converter box. It kept draining the battery. Now ever since unplugging it after every time I use it, the battery never dies any more.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:20 AM
teejay76
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
You say the charging voltage is 14.2 volts. At what rpm? Take a reading at around 2000 rpm. If the voltage is over 15 volts, you might be frying your battery.
Voltage was tested @ idle.

I took the new battery (Optima yellow top) back to Autozone to get checked out. Battery was dead but fine.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:23 AM
teejay76
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slick61
have heard the shaker system amps can continue to draw power after shutoff. As a result, I always go into the menu & shut the shaker system off, then shut the radio off, before turning the key off.

I had an 18 month old battery die on me in a similar fashion, but mine sits in the garage most of the time, except for 1 or 2 days a week. After I got a new battery, the first thing I did was order a battery tender, which keeps the battery topped off til needed.
I have the shaker 1000 but replaced the headunit over a year ago with the Pioneer F-90BT. Either way I'm going to take the car back to the dealer because the positive battery terminal is corroded and needs to be replaced.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I managed to kill an optima red in a year, if I let it sit more than about 5 days that usually spells doom for my batteries. I have the shaker 500 and turn off the stereo now before turning off the car although I have no idea if this is helping me or not. Ive read elsewhere about people needing a higher output ALT. with udp's installed but cannot really say that'll help. When/If I install my UDP I'll probably go with a bigger ALT. as well.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 AM
teejay76
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
I managed to kill an optima red in a year, if I let it sit more than about 5 days that usually spells doom for my batteries. I have the shaker 500 and turn off the stereo now before turning off the car although I have no idea if this is helping me or not. Ive read elsewhere about people needing a higher output ALT. with udp's installed but cannot really say that'll help. When/If I install my UDP I'll probably go with a bigger ALT. as well.
I've never powered off my radio before shutting off the car but I no longer have the stock shaker 1000 headunit. I've also had my udp's and my Pioneer HU installed in my car for over a year without any problems, but I'll try powering off my radio before turning my car off to see if it helps.

Last edited by teejay76; 03-10-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:04 AM
hiltsy845

teejay76 - the optima red top batteries are intended for use as the primary (engine cranking) battery. save the yellows for reserve capacity as a second battery (isolated with a solenoid of course)

Quick Reply: Battery keeps dieing