Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any issue with buying a car that sat on the lot almost 1 year?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:38 AM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

sounds like the dealership is taking you for a ride and you better jump off quickly. With the fact that the 5.0 is coming out, if you wanted this car, I couldn't possibly imagine this car selling for more than $31k, the dealership has to take a loss because of the fact that it sat for almost a full year and, why in the hell does it have 100 miles? This deal is total bulls***, get out of there and run. I could justify you paying this price for the 2011 5.0, which comes out in the next couple of months
Old 03-14-2010, 11:16 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I wouldn't pay over $25K for a 2010 period!
I don't care if it's loaded or have the foot massage and expresso machine option in it.
That's Ford's problem if people don't wanna pay up for these...

I just bought an 09 motorcycle (new, leftover stock) for $11K, it retails for $14.5K.
It's over 30% in savings! Yeah for me.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Argetni
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
I wouldn't pay over $25K for a 2010 period!
I don't care if it's loaded or have the foot massage and expresso machine option in it.
That's Ford's problem if people don't wanna pay up for these...

I just bought an 09 motorcycle (new, leftover stock) for $11K, it retails for $14.5K.
It's over 30% in savings! Yeah for me.
There is no way any dealer is going to go 9k under invoice that would be financial suicide. They could send a car to auction and not lose more than 1k.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:02 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

The car is over priced. I would not pay $33k for a leftover car. Hell, last year, left over '09s were going for $27-28k range if you can play hardball. Better rebates will be coming out soon and when you negotiate the price, rebates shouldn't be factored in because it comes straight from Ford paying the dealership. I could of gotten an '09 car comparable to mine except it has the comfort package for around $24,500, "new" except it was a demo car.

For $33k, I'd hit up the '11, screw the '10 unless you're happy paying that much for for a car that has sat around for a year.

Last edited by alkemist; 03-14-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:13 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

It isn't a leftover until they are sitting on the lot next to a 2011. 2010 mustangs are almost a completely different car than a 2009 so big discounts were to be expected. The change from 09 to 10 is much more drastic than 10 to 11.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Argetni
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
The car is over priced. I would not pay $33k for a leftover car. Hell, last year, left over '09s were going for $27-28k range if you can play hardball. Better rebates will be coming out soon and when you negotiate the price, rebates shouldn't be factored in because it comes straight from Ford paying the dealership. I could of gotten an '09 car comparable to mine except it has the comfort package for around $24,500, "new" except it was a demo car.

For $33k, I'd hit up the '11, screw the '10 unless you're happy paying that much for for a car that has sat around for a year.
I just left a voicemail for the salesman telling him the deal is off. I am also going to call him first thing in the AM to confirm he got the message.

I had some water in my basement last night that I need to deal with $$$ so I just told him that, easier that way and burn no bridges.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:17 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Argetni
There is no way any dealer is going to go 9k under invoice that would be financial suicide. They could send a car to auction and not lose more than 1k.
You keep saying this but in FL you pick those up below $30K for sure.
Not picking at you, every State is different I guess, but I have the feeling you can better $33K.
Even if you have to go out of State to deal with a more friendlier dealer, you'll win.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Argetni
1st Gear Member

Not picking at you, every State is different I guess, but I have the feeling you can better $33K.
Even if you have to go out of State to deal with a more friendlier dealer, you'll win.
Yeah the mustang was the official car of Guidoville NJ at one point! Replaced by the M3 now.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:50 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

It really depends on whether you take the special financing or not. The awesome prices that some people are posting include what the dealer is knocking off + the Ford rebates. If you prefer the 0% financing the Ford Rebates will not apply.

I agree rebates will get bigger over the next couple of months to get rid of the remaining 2010's ... but as inventory dwindles so does selection. So it's a Catch 22 .. the car on the lot is the perfect color and has perfect options ... could be gone as the rebates go up ... and you have to settle for something you don't exactly want to take advantage of the prices. Or you could take the current discounts and get the car you want.

Last edited by dmhines; 03-14-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Argetni
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
It really depends on whether you take the special financing or not. The awesome prices that some people are posting include what the dealer is knocking off + the Ford rebates. If you prefer the 0% financing the Ford Rebates will not apply.

I agree rebates will get bigger over the next couple of months to get rid of the remaining 2010's ... but as inventory dwindles so does selection. So it's a Catch 22 .. the car on the lot is the perfect color and has perfect options ... could be gone as the rebates go up ... and you have to settle for something you don't exactly want to take advantage of the prices. Or you could take the current discounts and get the car you want.
Another fine point the car would have gone for $31410 if had taken the standard 5.5% loan then you get 3k cash rebate but over 60 months it would have cost like 6k more than 0%. So yes if you have cash to buy with you can do very well.

Quick Reply: Any issue with buying a car that sat on the lot almost 1 year?