Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any issue with buying a car that sat on the lot almost 1 year?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:05 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Salespeople also get demo cars to drive around this could be one of them
Old 03-14-2010, 02:26 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

It's not unusual for a new car to have 100 miles on it. Especially one that's been on the lot for a year.

With that said I can tell you my car had been sitting for 9 months, had about 30 miles, and I got it for $25,800 in June 2008. Sticker was about $31k and invoice was $28.8K.

If you want a 2010 wait awhile. I have a feeling big incentives will be coming out. Anyone buying a new GT will want the 5.0 and a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay, no matter what it cost the person selling it.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:34 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I recently did a little sneaky internet searching at local ford dealers here in L.A.(used phony names & phone numbers & made a new e-mail address specifically for this purpose-hahaha). I was offered fleet prices on any GT I wanted at most dealerships & even e-mailed back & forth to drive prices further down. I found a premium GT with only the track pack option, MSRP was a little over $33K & without too much haggling I was able to get the price down to a little over $28K(of course without the special financing Ford is offering). You realize most dealerships will offer customer loyalty rebates(around $1,000-$1,500 in most instances) if you have purchased a new Ford within the past 10 years I believe(not 100% sure about the time frame). The xplan isn't the end all be all, although most dealerships will only give you certain purchase incentives that they won't combine with other offers. I actually waited about 3 weeks before I started responding to the dealership's internet departments and they were practically kissing my tush(lol) to make a sale. All about patience & making what may seem ridiculous seem reasonable . And, no, I'm not going to replace my '06 anytime soon, but I was curious, as many others are as to what 2010s are really going for.

Last edited by 05gtdriver; 03-14-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:51 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I really doubt the 10's will fly off the lot as fast as the '09s. First it's an 45th anniversary edition, so it made it special to the mustang community. Second, there was a $3k rebate at the time. 3rd the body style change. It's much drastic as mentioned between 10-11, and unless the buyer has been out in the dark or prefers the '10, everyone else is going to want to jump on the 11 and there will be 10's sitting on the lots dime a dozen, not to mentioned pre-owned mustangs.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:22 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Dealers won't have much reason to discount 2011's until the 2010's are off their lots.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argetni
There is no way any dealer is going to go 9k under invoice that would be financial suicide. They could send a car to auction and not lose more than 1k.
I wish I knew where you keep coming up with this $8k and $9k under invoice you keep tossing around. If the sticker is around $36k, you can bet that invoice on it is around $30k; no more; probably less. And even if he took invoice for the car, he STILL makes money. When you kids gonna learn?
Old 03-14-2010, 05:55 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I wish I knew where you keep coming up with this $8k and $9k under invoice you keep tossing around. If the sticker is around $36k, you can bet that invoice on it is around $30k; no more; probably less. And even if he took invoice for the car, he STILL makes money. When you kids gonna learn?
It takes a few times getting burned to figure it out. At least it did for me. Last time I got burned by a dealer I was buying a new 1993 T-Bird. They really knew how to play my strings. After that I got wise to their jedi mind tricks. Seems like yesterday.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:00 PM
FutureS197

OK, so you decided against it, but for anyone that searches this thread in the future:

I've bought a new car that sat for a year and there are only 2 major problems I had. 1) Forget about checking for flat spots on the tires - make them change the tires. Aside from flat spots the sidewalls will have started deteriorating. 2) Have them put a new battery in. It would have run dead at some point or multiple times and years have been taken off its life.

Last edited by FutureS197; 03-14-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Nuke, assuming you and your skills can go scoop up 2010's for $11K off MSRP as you suggest, why not go do this and sell them? I'd happily pay $26K for a $36K GT. My son would love it in a couple years.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:40 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
Nuke, assuming you and your skills can go scoop up 2010's for $11K off MSRP as you suggest, why not go do this and sell them? I'd happily pay $26K for a $36K GT. My son would love it in a couple years.
Ummm, my sister and I were looking at '09 new GT's that they just brought up from Florida for around MSRP $35k and she hard balled the guy down to about ~$28k. I would of jumped on it if it had the features I wanted. Didn't want to pay extra for a glass roof that I'm not very fond about.

Things are possible if the dealer is desperate enough, and this was dealing with the sales manager too. We could see the desperation on his face.

Timing and market conditions help substantially.

Quick Reply: Any issue with buying a car that sat on the lot almost 1 year?