Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Distance Driving Comfort??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:12 PM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zoom_H
for long steady cruising, i just hold the wheel right at the 5 or 7 o'clock position (right or left hand), right next to the bottom vertical bar on the steering wheel, very comfy to me
See, thats the problem...i don't like keeping my hands low on the steering wheel. I feel like i have less control of the car that way. Personally, I am used to the 9 and 3 position...extremely uncomfortable for me with the way the steering wheel is shaped.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:25 AM
bboyatomik

As for long trips I haven't tried cruise control yet. I need to pedal to keep myself awake, anywhere from a one hour to a five hour drive.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:19 AM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

I dont like cruise control for the sole fact I feel disconnected from the driving experience some how. From test drives I have found the driving position to be a bit low and set back. But Im used to driving a yukon xl which towers over most other vehicles. I feel the same in the vette. The only thing that I found annoying is I like to ride with my elbow resting out the open window and the driving position of the mustang makes that feel kinda strange (but its the same in the vette too) my 95 didn't do this.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:30 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder
I dont like cruise control for the sole fact I feel disconnected from the driving experience some how. From test drives I have found the driving position to be a bit low and set back. But Im used to driving a yukon xl which towers over most other vehicles. I feel the same in the vette. The only thing that I found annoying is I like to ride with my elbow resting out the open window and the driving position of the mustang makes that feel kinda strange (but its the same in the vette too) my 95 didn't do this.
The problem with the window sills is that all manufacturers have had to redesign them to comply with side impact safety requirements. Since steel is much safer than glass in a wreck, the window sills have moved up. This is why almost every vehicle nowadays has a high belt line. C&D noted in its muscle-car comparo that the Mustang was the only one of the three that it was even sort of possible to ride with your elbow on the window sill in. The other two cars' sills were so high that it was impossible to put your elbow there without some sort of lasting nerve damage.

tl;dr blame the gub'ment, not Ford.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Good to hear they redesigned the airbag seats. I like the standard seats in my 2007. The early optional airbag seats not so much.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:33 AM
wise_jonny
1st Gear Member

I drove from New Jersey to Tennessee (15hrs) then from TN to New Orleans(6-7hs). Then from New Orleans back to jersey(20hrs). I had no issue with comfort and was driving 15hrs on average. =D

I just love long trips
Old 03-16-2010, 09:59 AM
USAF in Germany
2nd Gear Member

I'm satisfied with the comfort of the seats, but I find myself adjusting my grip on the steering wheel. I like driving w/ my elbow on the window sill and it's hard for me to stay in that position. The only other factor is the stiffness of the suspension. As long as the roads are decent, the car is silky smooth, but then again I am not used to a sports car. It's definately not as comfortable as my wife's Volvo, but that isn't a fair comparison either. If I lived in Mississippi or Louisiana, the ride may suffer a little.. No offense to those of you from those great states.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
The problem with the window sills is that all manufacturers have had to redesign them to comply with side impact safety requirements. Since steel is much safer than glass in a wreck, the window sills have moved up. This is why almost every vehicle nowadays has a high belt line. C&D noted in its muscle-car comparo that the Mustang was the only one of the three that it was even sort of possible to ride with your elbow on the window sill in. The other two cars' sills were so high that it was impossible to put your elbow there without some sort of lasting nerve damage.

tl;dr blame the gub'ment, not Ford.
Thanks for that info. I guess its not required on SUVS since they are higher. Which is why I can do that comfortably in the xl.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:02 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder
Thanks for that info. I guess its not required on SUVS since they are higher. Which is why I can do that comfortably in the xl.
Bingo!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 PM
bboyatomik

I always advocate saftey rather than looking cool, am I the minority here when it comes to always having BOTH relaxed hands on the wheel all the times. Especially during the longest trips.

It's counterintuitive, but I do this because thats how I would drive as if I just bought the Mustang. I've had my 07 V6 Automatic for almost 3 years.

Quick Reply: Long Distance Driving Comfort??