Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used GT500 vs 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I know years down the road, that GT500 will be worth more than that 2011 GT.....because it has Carol Shelby's name attached to it.
It would be a no brainer for me.....GT500 all the way!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

wow... thats the first Legend Lime GT500 I have seen. I would have to think go for that one, better in every way, and its already taken its biggest hit in value.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:28 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

odd man out here, but i say 2011 gt w/ f.i. very safe bet that thing will make a good bit more power than a stock 07-09 gt500 plus will work circles around the handling of it, not to mention the superior interior, oh yeah and googles better mpg and insurance
Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I can understand the insurance, and mpg, the handling, not so much, but the power is already known.... 412 vs 500. Neither is rated in RWHP

Though I just saw you said with F.I. Its not really fair to justify a descision by changing the rules and adding mods to the new car. If we want to play that game, the 6K or more he will spend on a supercharger when they become available would probably get him a little over 500hp, where as the same money into a GT500 would probably get him into the 600+ easy range, probably more near the 700. Also, in comparison, suspension and handling components are dirt cheap.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:10 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

ok, so take stock for stock, 2011 gt vs 07-09 gt500, im willing to bet its still a very close call on numbers. there is no official data out on the 2011, and the stock gt500 isnt a whole lot faster than the gt, half a second maybe in the 0-60? and hands down its no secret the 2011 kills it on handling, i have heard nothing but great things about the 2010 trac pack option. and yes, 5.0 w/ supercharger vs 5.4 w/ supercharger, that 5.0 equipped with the whipple or whatever the best is at the time will be a higher number producing machine then the eaton 5.4 in the 07-09 gt500. we can sit and throw on upgrades all day, weather it be bolt ons, int upgrades, whatever. apples to apples, the new 5.0 f.i. will be faster than the last gen 5.4 f.i. its only what 83 hp behind anyway? pretty impressive for being a na motor plus being smaller. so the OP does have a vaild question and issue because he understands the advantage the 2011 already has. lets not make this a game of "well i can throw x amount of money at my choice to make it faster than yours" its a simple understanding of where the advantage is here
Old 03-19-2010, 11:23 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

if you want performance (only reason to look at a GT500 right?) then GT500 without hesitation.

if 400 crank hp is enough for you (don't lie to yourself, it won't be ) and you're really concerned about a warranty then get the 2011 GT.

problems with the '11 GT, the dealer knows they have something new and hot and probably won't deal till the 2012's are coming out. kinda like how the Camaros are for the moment. it's also a new motor so if you do want to mod it you'll have to wait a while for parts and to see what the weak points are unless you want to be the guinea pig also look at all the issues with the '05 GT's compared to the '09 GT's. there's going to be issues with the first run of a new setup, no way around it. the value will also drop like a rock once the new model year comes out. GT's are too high of a sales volume car to hold their value.

pro's with the '11 GT, it's brand new full warranty, you're the only one who's abused it

problems with the GT500, who drove it before you? did they rag it out? financing will be at a higher APR since it's a used car.

pro's with the GT500. fast stock fully built motor and fuel system just begging to have the boost raised better brakes, someone else already got powned by the depreciation it'll depreciate at a slower rate than any GT's due to the lower sales volume. best front end out there for a mustang IMO.

honestly if I had it to do all over again I'd be in a used GT500 instead of my GT, oh well. the thought had never crossed my mind when I was shopping since the GT500's were $45k-$50k at the dealer new but now they're $34k-$38k used. my GT was $29k out the door new, I would love to go back in time and just spend the extra few grand, already spent that on the supercharger kit. the GT with the blower and some more mods I'll be just as happy but with the GT500 I'd have some more upgrades stock and the better front end.

do the right thing man, gt the GT500
Old 03-19-2010, 12:41 PM
MRGTX
1st Gear Member

Interesting discussion here...

My take is that you can't go wrong either way...but I would stick to the '11 GT as it will almost definitely be a more balanced drive...and honestly, it will probably be almost as fast as an older GT500 after a few mods.

Also, there is something to be said for the subtlety of a GT. You can actually drive a GT and leave it in a parking lot without people walking up to it, etc. Some people would like the attention that the GT500 would recieve but the slightly lower profile of the GT is a major plus if you're looking for a fast daily driver, IMO.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:54 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by funtimesalways
ok, so take stock for stock, 2011 gt vs 07-09 gt500, im willing to bet its still a very close call on numbers. there is no official data out on the 2011, and the stock gt500 isnt a whole lot faster than the gt, half a second maybe in the 0-60? and hands down its no secret the 2011 kills it on handling, i have heard nothing but great things about the 2010 trac pack option. and yes, 5.0 w/ supercharger vs 5.4 w/ supercharger, that 5.0 equipped with the whipple or whatever the best is at the time will be a higher number producing machine then the eaton 5.4 in the 07-09 gt500. we can sit and throw on upgrades all day, weather it be bolt ons, int upgrades, whatever. apples to apples, the new 5.0 f.i. will be faster than the last gen 5.4 f.i. its only what 83 hp behind anyway? pretty impressive for being a na motor plus being smaller. so the OP does have a vaild question and issue because he understands the advantage the 2011 already has. lets not make this a game of "well i can throw x amount of money at my choice to make it faster than yours" its a simple understanding of where the advantage is here
Good points and not to get off topic but 1/2 a second to 0-60 is a pretty big difference.
The more I think about it, I'm leaning towards the GT500. If I spend 37k on a GT the minute I drive away with it, it will be worth about 28K, whereas if I buy a slightly used GT500 for 36K, it will still be worth atleast that much if not more for a good while.
There is much to think about though and I appreciate all the opinions.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:55 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
If it was closer to me, I'd save you the decision and buy it myself...As everyone else said, GT500
I wish SOMEONE would buy it and put me out of my misery!
Old 03-19-2010, 01:12 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
I wish SOMEONE would buy it and put me out of my misery!
One thing is for sure, there will be plenty of 2011 GTs to pick from, but not so much for the GT500.
They are a special breed and you don't see them as regularly like a GT.
Apparently Ford thought so too and that's why the new 2010+ has the Angle Eye front end look of the GT500......but it still doesn't make the GT a Shelby GT500!

If you concerned about it parked in your parking lot, buy a good quality car cover. Right now, I can't get my Mustang in my garage so that is exactly what I did. My car still looks brand new!

Quick Reply: Used GT500 vs 2011 GT