Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....updated!!

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #41
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006, Ford, Mustang 4.0L v6

Legally speaking you have all the power. Well mostly. Until they hand you over the keys they are legally responsible for the car. So basically this mishap created a situation that they legally have to resolve with you. If they try to put any of this on you, lawyer up. If they had knowledge of the starter, which they clearly did they have no legal standing. It's basically become if they don't meet your needs you can sue them through the ground. I don't know for sure but I believe you could have filed charges right then and their for destruction of property. Time to talk to one of the three lawyers in my family. Their good to know especially for tickets and strange situations like this.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/
Old 03-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #42
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Bullitt #6451

subscribing to see what happens

wow...so did the guy know you had the remote start? or is he just a retard who hit the wrong button several times?

kind of a iffy situation though IMO. Yes, they are liable for damages that may occur while in their possession...but this occured due to a improperly installed remote start. You can argue it either way. but then that leads into the question of why the hell was someone remote starting your car?

2006 F-250 Lariat CrewCab 6.0 PSD | 2008 Expedition EL Limited
7" Donahoe Racing Lift w/ 35" BFG's | Bone Stock
Old 03-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #43
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 09 GT 5 spd

Interested to see how this plays out. Thats sucks man.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #44
onegoal
Banned

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Wow. With the bad economy and all I wouldn't be shocked if they try and bull s*** you. I would assume their insurance would give you the bluebook vaule.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:49 AM   #45
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Charger RT AWD

WTF?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #46
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006, Ford, Mustang 4.0L v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoal View Post
Wow. With the bad economy and all I wouldn't be shocked if they try and bull s*** you. I would assume their insurance would give you the bluebook vaule.
A good lawyer would argue for 80-90% of the original price of the vehicle and probably get that. Still he may be months away from any clear solutions if the dealership isn't going to be cool about it(probably won't be cause it means more red). Technically he can go after whoever installed the starter as well(hope it wasn't him). He didn't leave the car without the e brake on it was the dealership. They pressed the button twice should prove they didn't press the wrong button. They were trying to start the car with the remote start for some reason and they failed to put the e brake on that equals "FAULT/LIABILITY" which can be proved even if it was accidental.

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Last edited by X3xMONGOOSEx3X; 03-21-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:40 AM   #47
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to deekum1627

wow sorry man that really sucks well they better let you look at whats on the lot and let you pick anything out. good luck

thats why i like my remote start if the car is in gear it wont start the car.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:46 AM   #48
loots06
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT

That aint right! I hope you get a new car. Post their phone number so we could all give them a call for you.
Shaftmasters 3.5 Aluminum DS, Whipple HO 10 PSI, FR handling Pack w/GT 500 Strut Mounts, FR K sprngs, MGW STS, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, Spec 3+ Clutch, Roush Facia/Spoiler, 9 Bar grill, Agent 47 Mirrors, Borla Stingers, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, Adjustable Panhard Bar, Interceptor guages, and someother stuff

Last edited by loots06; 03-21-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #49
nite
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
You can contact your insurance company and tell them you want to subrogate. This means they will pay your claim minus your deductible. Then your insurance company will collect from your Ford dealers insurance for you. After they are paid you will get your deductible back.

The main benefit to subrogation is your insurance company (and their legal team) deals with your dealers insurance company. You also don't have to wait to get your car repaired or replaced. Usually a check will be cut right away.

Sorry this happened to you. I've had to subrogate twice in my life and it's the only way to handle another insurance company imo.
+1. this is definitely the way to go. get your check, get a new car and let your insurance co. deal with lawyers and whatnot.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #50
iDance
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 GT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by loots06 View Post
That aint right! I hope you get a new car. Post their phone number so we could all give them a call for you.
That's absurd. Just let them deal with it.

Sign Shop Owner
I will trade stripes / signage for parts.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #51
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005
Send a message via AIM to Boozshey

You do really like Brandon Ford don't you?

Last edited by wilkinda; 03-21-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: See last post of mine in this thread
Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #52
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Have you heard anything back from the dealer?
18" "Fanblade Wheels"
CORSA Performance exhaust
Brenspeed 87 octane performance tune
MGW Shifter
Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #53
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT

wow. I don't think I could even start my car with my key with the car in gear because it won't turn over unless I push in the clutch. Strange indeed.

2008 GT Coupe Premium
Dark candy apple red, light graphite Leather, manual, C&L Racer Intake, 3.55 Axle, 18" polished aluminum wheels, M&M caster/camber plates, Koni Sport shocks/struts, Steeda Sport springs, UPR bump steer kit, Steeda X5 ball joints.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #54
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinda View Post
Thats ridiculous. I don't think they have even begun to talk yet over any options or monies and you want to try and pull this crap? Sounds like high school antics to me....

We all have opinions don't we?

IMO the dealer should of never let him leave wondering what they would do.

A reputable person would of taken steps necessary to start rectifiying the situation right away. A reputable dealership would be expected to too.

The dealer is playing games right now. They know what the right thing to do is. However, they are giving the appearance of a typical dealer. Screw the customer for whatever they can.

This thread looks very bad for Brandon Ford in Tampa, FL. And for their service department.

They have already had a chance to "make it right" and failed. The customer shouldn't be put through this.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #55
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 Shelby GT500

wierd stories for starters...never heard of a car taking off on it's own like that. Typically don't manuals just lunge and stall since it's not getting fuel?

They're going to say it's your fault because it's an aftermarket car starter that was imporperly installed and you did not notify them of it's proper usage. The most they are going to do is consider the car totalled and pay off your loan. You don't really have any grounds to sue them for any "real" money...no one was hurt, you can't claim any serious emotional distress...maybe you could try financial loss if you know what to claim...but still, in the scheme of things that's not real money. Pretty much you're going to have to start fresh, new car, new loan...

Sorry dude...truth sucks....but it is how it is...

I would definately make them cover all costs though...seeing as how it's their fault and not yours your insurance shouldn't have to cover anything and you shouldn't be paying a deductible.

08 Vapor GT500
Mods: $10K and counting

Last edited by distantsoldier; 03-21-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #56
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Wouldn't they have training for all service personel on how to drive customers cars? Including how to park them? The Ford manual is very specific. It says to engage the parking brake. I would think a dealer would be obligated to follow Fords written instructions on the use of a Ford vehicle while it's in for service.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #57
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 BOSS 302

I dont understand why people would think new car. If some old lady slams into your car and totals it, her insurance isnt going to give you a brand new car..... There going to give you a check for the appraised value compared with comperable vehicles for sale in you area. As for your argument of the value of mods.... There going to tell you to either attempt to take them off the car before they pick it up, or at best you can argue for a depreciated value of the cost of the item.

KBB has a value on the car of about 13,800 with a few options added and assumming 70,000 miles.

My Boss Page

2008 Superchaged GT (SOLD)
Dyno Sheet and vids here
My Page Here
Old 03-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #58
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 GT, 07 Ford Mustang GT-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWalton View Post
I dont understand why people would think new car. If some old lady slams into your car and totals it, her insurance isnt going to give you a brand new car..... There going to give you a check for the appraised value compared with comperable vehicles for sale in you area. As for your argument of the value of mods.... There going to tell you to either attempt to take them off the car before they pick it up, or at best you can argue for a depreciated value of the cost of the item.

KBB has a value on the car of about 13,800 with a few options added and assumming 70,000 miles.
I only have 33,000 miles. Most of my mods were electronic things like my radar detector, alarm-remote start, 2 amplifiers, subs, capacitor, speakers. So those things will be ruined. I would think since the car completely went under water...meaning you couldn't see it at all any more, that it would be totaled out. But if not and it can be fixed. I'd be more than happy to have MY car back. I spent a lot of time and money modifying my car the way I wanted it. I'm gonna really hate having to re mod another car. I'm going back to the dealer Monday morning to get a rental vehicle. I think I have to pay for it myself unless they decide to cover it. Since unfortunately I didn't get rental reimbursement with my insurance policy.
They did have video cameras back there, so hopefully it was angled right to catch it. I don't have pics, since my car is under water. I'll keep the post updated.

08 Mustang GT
07 BMW 328i
13 Ninja 300 Bike
07 Mustang GT RIP
Old 03-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #59
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 BOSS 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydawg003 View Post
I only have 33,000 miles. Most of my mods were electronic things like my radar detector, alarm-remote start, 2 amplifiers, subs, capacitor, speakers. So those things will be ruined. I would think since the car completely went under water...meaning you couldn't see it at all any more, that it would be totaled out. But if not and it can be fixed. I'd be more than happy to have MY car back. I spent a lot of time and money modifying my car the way I wanted it. I'm gonna really hate having to re mod another car. I'm going back to the dealer Monday morning to get a rental vehicle. I think I have to pay for it myself unless they decide to cover it. Since unfortunately I didn't get rental reimbursement with my insurance policy.
They did have video cameras back there, so hopefully it was angled right to catch it. I don't have pics, since my car is under water. I'll keep the post updated.

Well changing the miles, gave you leather, shaker, and premium wheels, you look to be at 18,000 Still not a new stang by any means, but hopefully covers what you still owe.

Edit: Just looked around where you live and they seem to be going for 18500 to 24000 in your area, so I would expect no less then an offer in that range.

My Boss Page

2008 Superchaged GT (SOLD)
Dyno Sheet and vids here
My Page Here

Last edited by JDWalton; 03-21-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #60
BruceH
5th Gear Member

luckydawg,

Keep us updated. I'm hoping for the best outcome. Pretty sure your car is totaled. Hopefully your insurance company expedites things. Both of the times I had to subrogate my insurance rep cut me a check on the spot. I hope it goes the same for you.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:49 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2008, 2011, 427r, brandon, car, date, drove, ford, gt, lake, mustang, pond, release, remote, start