Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sadly, got in a real bad accident yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:23 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Default Sadly, got in a real bad accident yesterday!

Hey guys so on my way to a family event yesterday, I was completely stopped at a red light when some guy hit me from behind at 45 mph's. Caused me to hit a car in front of me which hit a car in front of them which cause them to hit a car in front of them, so a total of 5 cars. My airbags went off and my back is completely messed up as well as some of my front.

My real question is, what do I do insurance wise? Do I try to push them to get the car fix, or should I make them total it? I have 1000s of dollars in mods, so how does that work with insurance? Like my bumpers, chin spoilers, spoiler, louvers, mufflers, all that good stuff is gone? So will insurance cover that?

Any advice would help, I need every penny I can get so I can get something real soon!!

Here are some pics...a very sad day

Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 AM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

That looks totaled, but no one online can determine that as well as an appraiser/adjuster. I'd take it to three shops on my own (preferably high end) and get estimates. If they exceed half the value of the car it will probably be totaled.

Generally, airbags + that kind of damage = totaled.

To answer your question: if you have receipts, there will be no issues. If you don't, it might be a little more difficult to get retail on all of your parts that were damaged (or not damaged if it's totaled), but you will still get the money for them.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:42 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

I had a hard time watching those photos, especially the last one.
Looks like it's totaled to me.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Peshields
2nd Gear Member

If the airbag popped, I'd push toward the side of having it totaled out. I dont know about everyone else, but I WILL NOT buy a vehicle thats popped its bags and had them repacked. I'd imagine there are plenty of other buyers out there like me. Also, since it's someone else's fault, their insurance can buy you a new car! As the above poster said, unless you have receipts for your parts, you may have a hard time getting anything for them.

Sucks man, glad you're ok!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Well, I don't have receipts for most things because a lot of them were bought off craigslist and the forums. Should I go and take off parts that are salvageable before the insurance adjuster gets there or leave them on and try to get money for them? Any tricks or hints that can help in my case in talking to the guy?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Peshields
2nd Gear Member

lol.. they are scratching the **** outta that rear valance.... not that it matters for that one anymore...
Old 03-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Peshields
2nd Gear Member

you could try to negotiate with the mods on the car, if you can't get anything for the parts then ask them to let you try to salvage them.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:08 AM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

I hope you beat whoever hit you to death
Old 03-21-2010, 11:23 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loudnlow
I hope you beat whoever hit you to death
My thoughts exactly. Man those pics are painful to look at hope everything works out for you.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 AM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Damn, sorry to hear about that. I don't know anything about insurance with accidents (never been in one thank God), so sorry to say, I can't help you with that, but I sure hope everything works out for you.

Quick Reply: Sadly, got in a real bad accident yesterday!