2005 - 2014 MustangsDiscussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration
Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!
How to upgrade your 2010+ Mustang with new shift boots?
we were asked by the Admin to put together a write-up documenting the process of upgrading the boots and armrest on the Mustang.
First of all - why do it? Here's why, a sample pic from another car:
And, more specifically, on our cars:
So, now that the "why bother" is out of the way, let's get to the "how-to".
1. Remove the shift **** by unscrewing it counter-clockwise.
Remove the console trim piece by opening the rear cover and then pulling up on the entire piece. It is held in with push-clips only. Once unclipped, unplug the traction control/hazard/trunk release button and then lift the console trim piece off.
Flip the console trim piece over and see how the factory boot is clipped to the chrome shift trim ring. Remove the shift boot by unclipping all of the clips, working in a single direction (such as front to back).
2. Remove the plastic square ring from the shift boot by using a prying tool, such as a putty knife or flathead screwdriver.
3. If you are going to reuse the factory shift ****, also remove the round ring at the top of the shift boot.
4. Remove the stock hand brake boot by pulling up around the base of the boot and pulling it off of the stock handle. Begin the installation of the new boot by gluing the boot centered on the "back" of the trim ring (see picture).
5. Glue the boot to the front of the trim ring, as to leave the sides unglued. Glue one side entirely to the trim ring, then the other side. Trim excess as needed.
Reinstall by pulling boot over handle, then pressing ring into slots in console.
And now what we know why bother, how to do this, you probably want to know how much?
here's a real masterpiece! Our C5 items, showing 3 different colors, 3 different materials and 2 different finishing styles. The materials and colors are red perforated, charcoal solid and charcol carbon fiber vinyl. The finishing styles are two-tone and stripes. The end result? You be the judge.
I sent you guys an email a couple months ago and never got a response (which always disturbs me). I would like one similar to the Mazda one shown below (except w/o the perf) to match the white stripe on the seats. How much $$ for that?
All-Out 93 Tune | Koni STR.Ts | Steeda Sport Springs | SVT Strut Mounts | Steeda Panhard Bar & Brace | 19" SR Chrome 5-spokes | GT500 Rear Spoiler | Painted Tail Panel Blackout | Roush Rear Valance | CDC Dead Pedal | Magnapacks | Homelink | Rockford-Fosgate Sub | Pioneer Premier Speakers | GT Visor Decals
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware
corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford
Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor