Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hiding Sirius Satellite Stub

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:21 PM
darkfox2002
1st Gear Member

Default Hiding Sirius Satellite Stub

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or if anyone has thought of this but I thought I would post anyways just incase no one had. I have a portable Sirius unit in my car and if you're like me then you probably hate the little antenna stub that you have to place on the back of the car. Well today I got an idea so I removed the stub and placed it on the inside of the trunk lid and what do you know I still get a signal. So if anyone else hates the look of it you can try that too and see if you still get a signal.

Last edited by darkfox2002; 03-25-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 PM
darkfox2002
1st Gear Member

Its dark out but I took the best pic I could.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:38 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

mine is on my rear deck just behind the head rests. i still get awesome signal.

i stuck some velcro on the underside of the head and it stays put.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:29 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The rear parcel shelf for 24/7 reception...
Old 03-26-2010, 01:52 PM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

I have the factory antenna stuck on the middle of the trunk. What's the easiest way to remove it?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:10 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I too have the factory Sirius antenna on my trunk lid. Is it just stuck on with 3M tape? I thought they drilled a hole through mine....no? I'd have to look when it's not raining outside.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:14 PM
balls8302
1st Gear Member

mine is not factory, all wires hidden. mounted antenna dead center on the wiper cowl. full signal all the time. goes down to two bars outta three only when wipers are on full speed. i'll get pics here in a few.
sportster 5 with direct connect, no fm transmitter. power is connected in the consol but i'm goin to hard wire sometime soon i think

Last edited by balls8302; 03-26-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Formula
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
I too have the factory Sirius antenna on my trunk lid. Is it just stuck on with 3M tape? I thought they drilled a hole through mine....no? I'd have to look when it's not raining outside.
There are holes in it.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:01 PM
WVPony

According to what I've read about satellite radio, Sirius has 2 kinds of signals--the actual signal from the satellite (which MUST HAVE line-of-sight between the antenna and the orbiting satellite to work) and separate terrestrial signals--which are similar to police radio "repeaters" and is available in larger cities. I suspect that the signal you're getting is from the "Terrestrial" signal. This signal would work from inside the trunk. But when you get away from the city you'll have nothing.

I may be wrong about this, but I'd suspect this is the case. If I'm wrong, I'm moving my antenna inside the trunk immediately!!!! Don't really like the look of it. Although I was happy that I was able to place my antenna on the inside rear deck with little or no signal loss.

BTW, Sirius's satellites are not geostationary ones like those used by Direct TV, Dish, etc. That means instead of orbiting in the same position at all times, they (there are 3 of them) are constantly in motion in a pattern that always keeps at least one satellite over the US at all times.

"Sirius uses a trio of Loral FS1300 satellites in unique elliptical orbits in an effort to avoid the problems posed by geostationary satellites. The orbits, shaped like lopsided figure eights, allow the satellites to appear higher in the sky than XM’s, cutting down on the potential for a listener to be out of range of a satellite signal -- and allowing Sirius to have a much smaller number of repeaters." If you're interested in a diagram go to: http://www.heavens-above.com/orbitdi...sp?satid=26390 This is a diagram of Sirius 1 -- there are 2 more up there now and they all work together. The third one is less than a year old--that's why your Sirius signal may seem to have gotten better (working even with some tree leaves in the way) this past year.

I know...probably too much info...but I do find the subject rather interesting. It also means that when you set out a home antenna for Sirius you don't really "aim" it at the satellite (because the multiple satellites are constantly moving). What you are really doing is "exposing" your antenna to the satellites. This is the exact opposite of Direct/Dish TV satellite antennas.

Last edited by WVPony; 03-26-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: More tech info added

Quick Reply: Hiding Sirius Satellite Stub