Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....Dealer Response - Page 2 - MustangForums.com



2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
S281 E
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location:
Posts: 4,469
Default

Thanks for the info and your side of the story.
S281 E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!
 
ODDYSEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,103
Default

I may be the minority, but after reading both sides of the story.. I gotta say, I agree that it is NOT the dealers fault or responsibility.

Why would you bypass th safety system on a REMOTE START in a MANUAL car. First, I wouldn't even take the chance.

But if the owner of the car installed it bypassing the safety, the E-Brake was up and the remote start button was actually the unlock button on the key-pad... then how is it their fault?

Blaming the dealership would be the same as blaming them for you messing up the install of you car stereo and it catches fire because they turned on the radio. Again, not their fault.

It would be nice if they would recognize the impact on the owner of the Mustang, and possibly offer them an incentive to purchase another car from them... but to accuse the dealership of any wrong doing I think is completely wrong.

You live and learn from your mistakes... the install of the remote start system was a mistake, and the owner will live and learn.
ODDYSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
ShaneM
5th Gear Member
 
ShaneM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,397
Default

So we are to believe that a mustang parked with the emergency brake on not only started completely with no one giving it throttle, but had enough power to overcome the park brake, jump a curb, tear down a fence AND still had enough force behind it to hit the water and not just sink the front but submerge the entire car?

Seriously? I have thought my 5 speed was in neutral before and hit the key, not only will the car not start because it stalls first, but it certainly had no chance of overcoming the parking brake. Now what i have seen is this.

when i was in high school my manual trans car would not start one day so i left it and went to football practice. When i came back on of my buddies though it would be funny to put the car in the middle of the track around the football field. He got it there alone by REPEATEDLY hitting the starter and using the torque from the starter with the car in gear to provide forward momentum. My money says not only did the service gut hit the remote start, but he held it down. i simply can't see someones car starting in gear, with the brake on, and not stalling immediately. Something is still not sounding right IMHO.
ShaneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Riptide
6th Gear Member
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montaner
Posts: 6,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODDYSEY View Post
Blaming the dealership would be the same as blaming them for you messing up the install of you car stereo and it catches fire because they turned on the radio. Again, not their fault.
Close but not quite IMO.

If in the above situation the dealer had a need to start the stereo? Absolutely not their fault then. Bringing the car in for an oil change, and they CHOOSE to start the stereo? Their fault. Did they need to use the remote start? No. They hit the button anyway.

If I have a problem with my TV. The maid comes in to clean that day. She screws with the TV and it starts a fire? Her fault. WTF is she doing messing with the TV in the first place?
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
07gtdude
2nd Gear Member
 
07gtdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Crestview, Florida
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneM View Post
Seriously? I have thought my 5 speed was in neutral before and hit the key, not only will the car not start because it stalls first, but it certainly had no chance of overcoming the parking brake. Now what i have seen is this.
I guess it all depends. Same thing happened to me. I thought it was in nuetral and released the clutch. My mustang lurched forward pretty hard, about 10 feet I would say. My e-brake was on too. Luckiliy I was in a empty parking lot, thank goodness no pond was in front of me, lol.
07gtdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
Art161
4th Gear Member
 
Art161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,495
Default

Occasionally a business will do something for a customer that the business is not required to do. How about it?
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #17
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneM View Post
So we are to believe that a mustang parked with the emergency brake on not only started completely with no one giving it throttle, but had enough power to overcome the park brake, jump a curb, tear down a fence AND still had enough force behind it to hit the water and not just sink the front but submerge the entire car?

Seriously? I have thought my 5 speed was in neutral before and hit the key, not only will the car not start because it stalls first, but it certainly had no chance of overcoming the parking brake. Now what i have seen is this.

when i was in high school my manual trans car would not start one day so i left it and went to football practice. When i came back on of my buddies though it would be funny to put the car in the middle of the track around the football field. He got it there alone by REPEATEDLY hitting the starter and using the torque from the starter with the car in gear to provide forward momentum. My money says not only did the service gut hit the remote start, but he held it down. i simply can't see someones car starting in gear, with the brake on, and not stalling immediately. Something is still not sounding right IMHO.
Maybe someone should chime in on how a remote start system works before we jump to this conclusion.

On a side note, at least we have more facts to work with now. If the technician hits the unlock button and the car starts, how would he have known unless the car owner told them? After reading the dealer's response, the car owner may be SOL in this situation. I doubt this will ever make it to court. No wonder the car owner was willing to give up so easily. He knows he's at fault.
Thrashard340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #18
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member
 
Lv XLR8N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 404
Default

Your forgetting, that remote starters are designed to crank for a desired length of time once receiver gets the signal from the remote. However I am unsure if a no start, does it still continue to crank till it runs? It would have to have one hell of a powerful starter to make a car move enough with an ebrake on, and in gear.

My personal opinion is both parties are at fault. Car owner for bypassing saftey equipment, and dealer that triggered the remote start reguardless if he knew it had one or not. I doubt the remote itself was designed to start the car by holding down the unlock button. How the remote was handled to unlock the car is the focus.

Thats my 2...
Lv XLR8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #19
Riptide
6th Gear Member
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montaner
Posts: 6,195
Default

That's kinda how I feel about it at this point as well. A shared responsibility type of thing.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #20
deekum1627
6th Gear Member
 
deekum1627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, moving to arizona soon
Posts: 7,386
Default

i do agree both are at fauly if he had a remote start that was made for a manual car then this would of never happended. and the dealer should be playing with thing on someones car if they dont know what it is
deekum1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hesitation after replacing radiator DrunknRuckus 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang 5 08-23-2015 10:05 AM
2008 v6 transmission weirdness antipeterleague 2005-2014 Mustangs 5 08-18-2015 01:50 PM
Fuel pump not priming!! HELP drumhedd2005 2005-2014 Mustangs 2 08-13-2015 09:59 AM
Groaning noise coming from rear when turning right 92 5.0stang 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang 4 08-13-2015 06:46 AM
FORD FRENZY!!! Milan Dragway-September 12th Milan Dragway Members Rides and Car Show Section 0 08-12-2015 03:43 PM


Tags
2007, brake, car, dealer, dealership, drives, drove, ford, make, mustang, parking, pond, response, service, started

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.