Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....Dealer Response

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #21
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!
 
ODDYSEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Close but not quite IMO.

If in the above situation the dealer had a need to start the stereo? Absolutely not their fault then. Bringing the car in for an oil change, and they CHOOSE to start the stereo? Their fault. Did they need to use the remote start? No. They hit the button anyway.

If I have a problem with my TV. The maid comes in to clean that day. She screws with the TV and it starts a fire? Her fault. WTF is she doing messing with the TV in the first place?
I forgot to add about the radio analogy that if the dealership gets blamed for the radio coming on when the car started... assuming it was already on before.



For all of you saying about using the remote start was not required etc etc.

Pay attention to the above comments from the Dealer... the key fob did NOT have a remote start button... which is most likely to assume is was wired to the unlock button.

Also, those who say a car in gear cannot overcome an e-brake or go that far. I have had a few manual tranny cars that would most definitely take off, e-brake or not. Once it gets cranking in gear, it can take off on it's own. Hence the reason for the safety features for installing remote starts.

Also keep in mind the original owner did not install the remote start correctly, and did in fact by-pass the safety features, therefore your arguements of "it shouldn't do that" are no longer valid, because "it shouldn't do that" on a properly installed system. Which this clearly was not.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________

ODDYSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #22
Riptide
6th Gear Member
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2014 GT
Location: Montaner
Posts: 6,194
Default

If it wasn't a button on the FOB and was wired to work when he hit the unlock button then the owner is completely screwed. Unless state laws place it on the dealer no matter what then what little the OP had in his "court" so to speak has been blown out of the water.
__________________
WILL WORK FOR MUSTAKE
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #23
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 263
Default

Listen, it's his car and the guy can do whatever he wants to do with it. As long as nothing is illegal and doesn't put lives in danger while in motion, what's the problem with it? He knows how it works, and he didn't install it to run over people on its own. The dealership should have asked about the modification. Your employee did it, therefore you are also responsible for it. Going around and points fingers on a message board is highly unprofessional. Whatever happened to "customer is always right"

You know, I'm quite sick of this. You, general managers and whatever you want to be called, do not have any sympathy towards anyone. The only thing you look out for, is your big overinflated salaries and bonus checks. Once you sell a car and meet your quota, you could give a **** about that customer anymore. Only on a few occasions, have I met owners and managers willing to go beyond the norm to make you feel satisfied. You sir, what you're doing is quite childish. If you claim to be who you are, shame on you. Instead of trying to figure out the problem and offer a solution, you do NOTHING but spit back at your customers.

Last edited by ssimaniac; 03-26-2010 at 01:09 PM.
ssimaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #24
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 263
Default

Also, to all of you talking about the key FOB not having a button or something....what the hell? So each time the guy presses the unlock button, the car automatically starts and runs over curbs straight into ponds? Really? How come it's never happened to him before? I mean, he installed it. Yet out of no where, dealership presses it once and voila you got yourself a fish in the tank.
ssimaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #25
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member
 
hawkeye18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 2012 GT Prem.
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 627
Default

So... the e-brake was on... and, as per the owner's manual of the vehicle, the car was left in gear... the key fob didn't have a button that said "start" and so the tech couldn't have known that it was going to start...

Official opinion: **** JUST GOT REAL SON!
__________________
2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS
Delivered 07MAR11
hawkeye18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #26
ShaneM
5th Gear Member
 
ShaneM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 2012 CO Boss 302 #0333
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,397
Default

And you would think a dealer employee would know the diff between a remote start button (from what has been said i gather its a separate fob) and the Ford key fob considering he is bound to have had some training. The OP here needs to go to an attorney. You need legal help. Even if you say fault is shared 50/50, the dealer owes you half what your car was worth IMO.
ShaneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #27
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member
 
Lv XLR8N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 404
Default

I was just saying I would find it odd that an unlock button would also serve as remote start button. It has to be more complicated than that to remote start a car dont ya think?
__________________

2010 Ford Mustang GT Premium, Grabber Blue, (401A) Premier Interior Char /w Grabber Blue Stripe, 5-Speed, 3.73 rear.

Mods: Roush Off-Road exhaust, Koni STR.T's, Steeda HD Mounts, Steeda Sport Springs, UMI Adj PHB, StopTech 14" Big Brake Kit...

Looks: GT500 Spoiler, Roush Fascia w/fogs, GT500 19" Wheels...
Lv XLR8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #28
ShaneM
5th Gear Member
 
ShaneM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 2012 CO Boss 302 #0333
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,397
Default

OP stop talking about it here, you can only hurt your case, get a lawyer. You will find one somewhere willing to take the case for a percentage of the winnings and you won't have to put anything out upfront. Hell, the lawyer that stuck it to Ford on the Firestone tire recall is in my local town, he does stuff on a percentage of winnings scale, i can get you his number.
ShaneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #29
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member
 
VRFlip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 2010, Ford, Mustang GT Premium w/ Track Pack
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 416
Default

He's called 20 attorneys none of them wanted the case. If he did find one to take the case, they'd charge him more than he's out of pocket now, and since there's no other damages or ambulances to chase, no lawyer will want any part of this.
__________________
2010 GT Premium w/ TrackPack | Tillman 93 All-Out Tune | MagnaFlow Magnapack 16574 | UMI Poly/Roto LCA 1057 | K&N Drop-in Air Filter | GT 500 Spoiler, Rear Valence, and Mudflaps | %20 Tint | G2 Caliper Paint |

VRFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #30
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 2007 Windveil Blue
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,143
Default

So the dealership claims that one of their techs tried to unlock the car and set off this chain reaction of doom as a result of a faulty remote start.. the end?

Hardly seems like an appropriate response to shift ALL responsibility to the owner.

If this was not a Ford factory fob, why was the tech messing with the remote? (Can we get pics of this remote, or a model number to look up the part)

Is there not protocol in place to use the KEY to unlock the DOOR (especially when faced with aftermarket remotes).. ??
__________________

Last edited by Fred Malibu; 03-26-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Fred Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #31
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!
 
ODDYSEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,101
Default

ssimaniac, you are making yourself sound like an idiot. Read the entire thread on both threads before you come here calling names.

Your philosphy of "its his car he can do whatever he wants" is absolutely correct, but that means if he does something and it breaks (or drowns) his car, then is is 100% HIS problem, not the dealerships problem.

It is all over the internet about remote starts and bypassing the safety features, it says simply.. if you bypass the safety features and something happens, you are liable. End of story.
__________________

ODDYSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #32
NDN GQ
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2009 Ford Mustang GT Premium 5MT
Location: Georgia
Posts: 179
Default

Itís amicable that Brandon Ford came out here to clear up the story but in my opinion if they just point the finger back at the owner, they forget heís only going to say 'they hit the start button and drove it into a pond'. That bit of the story will carry a lot further than all the bullet points they mentioned. Itís one of those things where both of them should try to work something out for the sake of negative press.
__________________

NDN GQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #33
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODDYSEY View Post
ssimaniac, you are making yourself sound like an idiot. Read the entire thread on both threads before you come here calling names.

Your philosphy of "its his car he can do whatever he wants" is absolutely correct, but that means if he does something and it breaks (or drowns) his car, then is is 100% HIS problem, not the dealerships problem.

It is all over the internet about remote starts and bypassing the safety features, it says simply.. if you bypass the safety features and something happens, you are liable. End of story.
So if you destroy my property, I'm responsible for it? Bro, you need to get some logic straight before you can go ahead and insult others. You already used so many wrong examples to show your logic. Please stop. They are responsible as much as he is. You don't go around "trying" out things because you think you know how it works. This guy has no class, coming on here trying to resolve an issue. You resolve an issue with your customer, not on a message board. Get it?

Sheesh
ssimaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #34
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 2007 Windveil Blue
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,143
Default

So the dealership claims that one of their techs tried to unlock the car and set off this chain reaction of doom as a result of a faulty remote start.. the end?

Hardly seems like an appropriate response to shift ALL responsibility to the owner.

If this was not a Ford factory fob, why was the tech messing with the remote? (Can we get pics of this remote, or a model number to look up the part)

Is there not protocol in place to use the KEY to unlock the DOOR (especially when faced with aftermarket remotes).. ??
__________________
Fred Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #35
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!
 
ODDYSEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimaniac View Post
So if you destroy my property, I'm responsible for it? Bro, you need to get some logic straight before you can go ahead and insult others. You already used so many wrong examples to show your logic. Please stop. They are responsible as much as he is. You don't go around "trying" out things because you think you know how it works. This guy has no class, coming on here trying to resolve an issue. You resolve an issue with your customer, not on a message board. Get it?

Sheesh
Sheesh.. change your attitude. You are rambling on about stuff without obviously reading the entire story.

What you are all failing to grasp is, it doesn't matter what the dealership touched, pushed, did, etc. The dealership followed the manufacterers guidelines. The owner neglected to inform them of a remote start, neglected to inform them of safety systems bypassed, and therefore they are not responsible.

And yea ssimaniac, if I do something stupid, I fully expect to be responsible for it.
__________________

ODDYSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #36
timmbo
3rd Gear Member
 
timmbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Location: TN
Posts: 671
Default

The reason why this is a slam dunk for the dealer is the key word "bypassed". The FACT is that the factory safety system was bypassed by the owner, not the dealer, not the factory. Period. The dealer is no more required to ask the owner for this type of mod as well as whether or not the car has a rocket powered ejection seat. I feel sorry for the guy I really do. But no judge is gonna rule against the dealership for what happened.
__________________


2006 GT Convertible - 29k mi - B326 Stroker - FRPP Hot Rod Cams - Brenspeed Tune - FRPP 4.10s -Pypes Headers/Off Road H - Borla Stinger Axlebacks - Hurst Billet Comp Shifter - Shaftmasters Alum Driveshaft - Roush Rear Springs - Me? I'm a ASE Master Truck and Auto Tech *Daily beater- 94' Toyota Xtra cab 2wd Orig owner. 250k mi*

Last edited by timmbo; 03-26-2010 at 01:37 PM.
timmbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #37
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!
 
ODDYSEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbo View Post
The reason why this is a slam dunk for the dealer is the key word "bypassed". The FACT is that the factory safety system was bypassed by the owner, not the dealer, not the factory. Period. The dealer is no more required to ask the owner for this type of mod as well as whether or not the car has a rocket powered ejection seat. I feel sorry for the guy I really do. But no judge is gonna rule against the dealership for what happened.
Exactly.
__________________

ODDYSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #38
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODDYSEY View Post
Sheesh.. change your attitude. You are rambling on about stuff without obviously reading the entire story.

What you are all failing to grasp is, it doesn't matter what the dealership touched, pushed, did, etc. The dealership followed the manufacterers guidelines. The owner neglected to inform them of a remote start, neglected to inform them of safety systems bypassed, and therefore they are not responsible.

And yea ssimaniac, if I do something stupid, I fully expect to be responsible for it.
I understand. And I also understand your "If I did something stupid, I'd be responsible" but HE didn't do it. THEY did. There's a difference. Like I said as much as he failed to notify them, they shouldn't have messed with something they didn't know how to operate. It happened on their lot, on their hands. They should offer a solution, not this. 50/50. That's how you make a customer happy. That's called customer loyalty.
ssimaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #39
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbo View Post
The reason why this is a slam dunk for the dealer is the key word "bypassed". The FACT is that the factory safety system was bypassed by the owner, not the dealer, not the factory. Period. The dealer is no more required to ask the owner for this type of mod as well as whether or not the car has a rocket powered ejection seat. I feel sorry for the guy I really do. But no judge is gonna rule against the dealership for what happened.
No one is defending the guy. It's his fault. Yes. We all agreed. But at the same time, THIS dealership was involved in it. Their tech did it. It wasn't the guy that did it by himself. They should offer some solution to him, something. But coming on a message board is classless by the dealer.

That was my point anyway. I don't care what others are saying. They should pay, 50/50.
ssimaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #40
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!
 
ODDYSEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimaniac View Post
I understand. And I also understand your "If I did something stupid, I'd be responsible" but HE didn't do it. THEY did. There's a difference. Like I said as much as he failed to notify them, they shouldn't have messed with something they didn't know how to operate. It happened on their lot, on their hands. They should offer a solution, not this. 50/50. That's how you make a customer happy. That's called customer loyalty.
That is how I felt after reading the owners posts. I agreed, the dealer has it.. the dealers responsibility.

until....

I learned that the owner purposely bypassed the safery features, and didn't notify them, and what appears to be no start button (assume it was a lock/unlock button).

But either way, his insurance is covering it, so I don't see why the big deal anyway
__________________

ODDYSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:44 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2007, brake, car, dealer, dealership, drives, drove, ford, make, mustang, parking, pond, response, service, started

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Fordģ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup