Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....Dealer Response

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #41
Riptide
6th Gear Member
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2014 GT
Location: Montaner
Posts: 6,194
Default

A key detail is how the remote start was setup to be initiated. We don't know that KEY piece of info. Was it a separate button on the FOB? Or was it like has been recently stated and was wired right in with the unlock key on the FOB.

These are critical details IMO and we just don't know.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________
WILL WORK FOR MUSTAKE
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #42
TPony
6th Gear Member
 
TPony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2006 GT Vert
Location: Aldie, Virginia
Posts: 11,791
Default

Interesting read. This is definitively a good case that needs to be resolved in court.
__________________
El Boricua. Roush Fascia/chin/scoop, DD 18X9 w/NT555 255/45/18, GTA Axlebacks, GT500 spoiler/pedals. Interior billet upgrades, seq, eng dress up, chrm valve cvrs, BBK Shorties, Steeda LCA, GMS CAI SCT X3, Brenspeed 93, drilled/slotted rotors.
TPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #43
howarmat
s197 Junkie
 
howarmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT
Location: next to Nancy :)
Posts: 15,867
howarmat howarmat howarmat howarmat
Send a message via AIM to howarmat
Default

this thread is going nowhere fast.....
__________________
~Matt

"Shadow" 2005 Black GT Stick 1 of 368
its not stock


Every new day is the beginning of the rest of our lives together
howarmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #44
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT
Location: CA
Posts: 397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimaniac View Post
Listen, it's his car and the guy can do whatever he wants to do with it. As long as nothing is illegal and doesn't put lives in danger while in motion, what's the problem with it? He knows how it works, and he didn't install it to run over people on its own. The dealership should have asked about the modification. Your employee did it, therefore you are also responsible for it. Going around and points fingers on a message board is highly unprofessional. Whatever happened to "customer is always right"

You know, I'm quite sick of this. You, general managers and whatever you want to be called, do not have any sympathy towards anyone. The only thing you look out for, is your big overinflated salaries and bonus checks. Once you sell a car and meet your quota, you could give a **** about that customer anymore. Only on a few occasions, have I met owners and managers willing to go beyond the norm to make you feel satisfied. You sir, what you're doing is quite childish. If you claim to be who you are, shame on you. Instead of trying to figure out the problem and offer a solution, you do NOTHING but spit back at your customers.
But the way that it was installed does put lives in danger. This incident is a good example of if you bypass safety measures what can go wrong.

Why should the dealer have to ask? This was such an unusual modification and done in such a way that no dealer would suspect this modification was ever made. Dealers primarily deal with unmodified cars. Modified cars are the exception. If this modification was going to impact the way things are done out of the norm, then the car owner should have mentioned it. Owning a manual transmission car, you are taught to leave the car in gear while parked in case the emergency brake fails. Under this pretense, why would you install a remote starter in a manual transmission car anyways?

I'm not exactly a proponent for dealership service either. I take all my cars to a trusted mechanic that I have known for years and will not overcharge me. I also do believe that most dealerships will try to milk you out of your hard earned $'s in any way possible. However, given the facts stated from both parties would indicate more to me that the car owner didn't do his due diligence in communicating this unusual modification to the service writer when he should have.

"Customer is always right is overrated." If you spent any considerable amount of time working in retail business, you would not have this assumption. There was a time when "the customer is always right", however, over time...too many consumers that have abused this philosophy for personal gain have ruined it for those who truly deserve it.
__________________
The Car: 2012 Mustang GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo, 3.73, spoiler delete, Comfort Package.

GT500 Axle Back, resonator delete.
Thrashard340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #45
Full Force
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 99 F350
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10
Default

Look at it this way, if you were doing a side job on the car would you pay for it? I doubt it, yes the dealer has more money, but if buisnesses gave in to everyone with a problem they would REALY be making nothing, I have done alot of stupid things in life and blame myself, the problem with alot of people in this country is they want to blame someone but themselves for everything...

BTW, I am not a newbie but have not been here in a while, so I had to make a new name due to forgetting password and new email address...
Full Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #46
alkemist
5th Gear Member
 
alkemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT
Location: Pineapple under the Sea
Posts: 3,113
a1kemist
Default

Really.. I think these threads are just beating a dead horse now. Let them duke it out and deal with it. There is responsibility on both parties. Not really our beeswax anymore. There is still the missing crucial piece to the puzzle, but IMO, I'm sick and tired of all this arguing.
alkemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #47
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!
 
ODDYSEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
this thread is going nowhere fast.....
I usually don't get involved in threads like these but....

This is like a good mystery "who done it" movie... we want to get the facts, and reconstruct the crime, and find out who did it!

We need the key fob evidence!
__________________

ODDYSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #48
howarmat
s197 Junkie
 
howarmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT
Location: next to Nancy :)
Posts: 15,867
howarmat howarmat howarmat howarmat
Send a message via AIM to howarmat
Default

there are pics of the supposed keyfob in the other thread....i will dig them up
__________________
~Matt

"Shadow" 2005 Black GT Stick 1 of 368
its not stock


Every new day is the beginning of the rest of our lives together
howarmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #49
howarmat
s197 Junkie
 
howarmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT
Location: next to Nancy :)
Posts: 15,867
howarmat howarmat howarmat howarmat
Send a message via AIM to howarmat
Default

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...ss-clutch.html
In this thread stonr did the research on the car alarm/remote start that lucky used. and i agree with what stonr said about using the panic to find the car if you dont know where its parked
__________________
~Matt

"Shadow" 2005 Black GT Stick 1 of 368
its not stock


Every new day is the beginning of the rest of our lives together
howarmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #50
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert
 
157dB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Vehicle: 2007 Pony Package
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 13,322
Default

Finally the trurth comes out....
No wonder he had to pay the tow truck charge....
Or did he?
__________________
NON PUMKIN JACKER
http://www.mustangforums.com/forum/5...-this-car.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos View Post
You and that darn manual! If you like it so much, maybe you should marry it!
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #51
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member
 
PNYXPRESS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Vehicle: early 2000, 1991, 2008
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 2,580
Default

I find issues with what Mr Hammond said about the e-brake. I have yet to find a starter out there, especially a stock one, that is powerful enough to crank over and start an engine against the e-brake holding the drive wheels. If they did set the ebrake it was half-assed.
__________________

1991 2.3L I4
1996 3.8L V6
2000 3.8L V6
2008 4.6L V8
PNYXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #52
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!
 
ODDYSEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS View Post
I find issues with what Mr Hammond said about the e-brake. I have yet to find a starter out there, especially a stock one, that is powerful enough to crank over and start an engine against the e-brake holding the drive wheels. If they did set the ebrake it was half-assed.
Ah ha! See it is all falling into place. And I was correct on my assumption that it is not the dealers fault.
__________________

ODDYSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #53
v braaten
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2004 mustang gt
Location: ca
Posts: 114
Default

If the dealer doesn't offer some sort of compromise this guy will never set foot in their dealership again and he'll spread smack to all his friends and they won't go there either. The dealership will lose more than just one customer. I think it's more like an 80/20 split; with the customer responsible for the majority because he didn't inform the service dept. of his modification. Also, why the hell would somebody in Floride need a remote start. It must be for those freezing winter mornings when he's too cold to go out and warm up his car. And, why would anybody put a remote start on a manual transmission anyway. Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
v braaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #54
darwin06
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 06 ford mustang
Location: NY
Posts: 37
Default

Why is it every time the Idiot does an idiot thing even after a warning is offered the manufacturer and or dealer are to blame. We cannot fix stupid no mater the $ spent, the idiot in the end should not profit from his Idiot actions and we as thinking customers should not be stuck with paying more in price of insurance to compensate for every such act of idiocy. We assume sole responsability if we use the car outside the intended purpose and beyond it's designed limitations and safety protocols. If he were to let someone borrow the car and it did the same thing would the friend and relative be expected to foot the bill for the loss? The service tech could not have predicted the outcome of the unexpected result of pressing a button intended for another action.

I feel for the guy but I would not grant him any reward for his willful actions if I were judge nor would I require the Dealer to make any consessions to assist the guy.

What the dealer does or does not is up to him, and his good nature as charity.
__________________
Racing done, no more fun...or is it?
darwin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #55
Art161
4th Gear Member
 
Art161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT
Location: California
Posts: 1,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
this thread is going nowhere fast.....
Yes, probably not as fast as the Mustang's entry into the pond.

Anyway, I wrote to my State Senator suggesting that the California Vehicle Code be changed to prohibit remote start devices that could start a vehicle while it was in gear. The introduction of new bills is closed for this year, but he said he would consider it next year. Kind of sad to ask the government to regulate something that should be common sense.

BTW, lucky this happened in FL, and not in CA. In CA there would probably be a dozen environmentalists checking to see if the pond water was contaminated, if any endangered species were harmed, and on and on.
__________________
2007 Mustang GT Coupe Premium
High Performance White/Dark Charcoal Leather
Automatic Transmission
Rear Spoiler Delete
Interior Sport Appearance Package
MGW EJECT Power Point Plug

If you pursue perfection, you will never attain your goal. You may, however, achieve excellence.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #56
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator
 
wilkinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Vehicle: 2011 Shelby GT500
Location: Lithia, FL
Posts: 3,321
Send a message via AIM to wilkinda
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneM View Post
And you would think a dealer employee would know the diff between a remote start button (from what has been said i gather its a separate fob) and the Ford key fob considering he is bound to have had some training. The OP here needs to go to an attorney. You need legal help. Even if you say fault is shared 50/50, the dealer owes you half what your car was worth IMO.
Go back and read what the dealer stated. Now go read the thread the owner stated.... you will see he never states the info the dealer stated, nor has he really tried to deny fault of his own. So why should we think the dealer should be in any way responsible??

If I loan you my car with bad brakes and don't tell you they are bad and you try to stop at the intersection and get t-boned....will you pay me half the value of my car because i didn't tell you the brakes were bad and because i didn't feel like having them fixed properly??
__________________
USAF (Retired) / Gas Turbine Controls Systems Engineer (Current)

Current:
* 2013 Shelby GT500 in custom 1 of 1 color | SVTPP Pkg | Glass Roof | Red-line Hood Struts | BBR Shorty Antenna | Expel Ultimate Clear Bra
* 2012 Ford Explorer Limited - Tuxedo black
wilkinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #57
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator
 
wilkinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Vehicle: 2011 Shelby GT500
Location: Lithia, FL
Posts: 3,321
Send a message via AIM to wilkinda
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS View Post
I find issues with what Mr Hammond said about the e-brake. I have yet to find a starter out there, especially a stock one, that is powerful enough to crank over and start an engine against the e-brake holding the drive wheels. If they did set the ebrake it was half-assed.
the recovery team that fished the car out of the pond verified the dealer story that it was in fact engaged...unless you claim conspiracy and they told the diver to set it when he went down to set the chains to pull it out.

Again because it is a dealer rep speaking HE MUST be lying right??
__________________
USAF (Retired) / Gas Turbine Controls Systems Engineer (Current)

Current:
* 2013 Shelby GT500 in custom 1 of 1 color | SVTPP Pkg | Glass Roof | Red-line Hood Struts | BBR Shorty Antenna | Expel Ultimate Clear Bra
* 2012 Ford Explorer Limited - Tuxedo black
wilkinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #58
Riptide
6th Gear Member
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2014 GT
Location: Montaner
Posts: 6,194
Default

These are bad analogies. Your friend HAS to use the brakes. A remote starter OTOH is a choice to use.
__________________
WILL WORK FOR MUSTAKE
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #59
alkemist
5th Gear Member
 
alkemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT
Location: Pineapple under the Sea
Posts: 3,113
a1kemist
Default

The crucial piece of the puzzle is missing and I doubt the tech/porter that started the car up will ever get to tell their story on here.

I don't know why everyone is getting all worked up. The general public will never know the complete story and truth. Am I being cold by saying I really don't care and it's their private business after finding out more about the story? And yeah, I know, I don't have to read these posts, but why keep dragging it out.
__________________

Silver Mustang Registry #1185
Roush Front Fascias, Roush Chin Spoiler, Roush Rear Wing, Roush Louvers, Roush Strut Tower Brace, Nine Bar Grille, 15% Llumar Tint, SLP Loudmouths, Nitto 555 285/40/18R & 255/45/18F on Black 18" FR500's, FRPP 4.10, BBK CAI, 93 Brenspeed Tune, 5spd Automatic

"I'd rather be a comma than a full stop"
alkemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #60
FutureS197
 
FutureS197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1991 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
Location: MA
Posts: 11
Default

Most states have a booby trap law. For example if you suspect robbers might enter your front door when you go on vacation you can't set a trap to go off if it is opened. If you do anyone that is harmed by the trap including a burglar can sue you for damages.

This is the equivalent of what happened here. The owner essentially set a trap that went off when the employee at the dealership used perfectly acceptable way of opening the car door - the unlock button of the remote. He hit the button and the vehicle took off, good thing he or someone else was not standing in front of it.

Has anyone here gone out to their car and found the trunk open? It happens sometimes when the button gets pressed just being in your pocket. What if the owner set off the remote start in this same fashion when a mother was pushing a baby carriage in front of it?

THE SYSTEM SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN INSTALLED THIS WAY. Some people have said he can do what he wants with his car as long as he isn't hurting anyone, well maybe there should be a law that makes it a criminal offense to bypass the safety features of a vehicle because this incident very well could have hurt someone, REGARDLESS OF WHO ACTUALLY HIT THE BUTTON.
__________________
Sold my Mustang years ago and longing for another.
FutureS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2007, brake, car, dealer, dealership, drives, drove, ford, make, mustang, parking, pond, response, service, started

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup