Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....Dealer Response

Old 03-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Frddealer

Default Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....Dealer Response

After reading many posts of the last few days that were either incomplete or just entirely inaccurate, I decided that it was finally time to set the record straight. The incident involving the Mustang that drove itself, unoccupied, into a body of water, occurred at our dealership. The simple, unquestionable facts of this unfortunate event are as follows:

•The vehicle was equipped with a remote start system.
•The system was installed in such a way as to circumvent the factory safety systems that would have prevented it from starting in gear.
•By the vehicle owner’s own admission with a County Police Officer present, he stated that he personally installed this aftermarket system and tentionally disabled the factory safety system.
•The vehicle owner used a remote that did not have a “start” button on it.
•The vehicle owner admitted that he never notified our service personnel of the remote start system on his vehicle.
•Despite numerous posts to the contrary, the emergency brake had been set when the vehicle was parked. This was verified by the recovery team.
•The method that was used to park and secure the car is in accordance with manufacturer guidelines.
•The service personnel simply attempted to unlock the vehicle with the remote which led to the remote start event.
•The vehicle owner had conversations with a remote starter retailer prior to the installation. He was advised that his chosen method on installation was “unwise.”
•Several posters advised the owner against his choice even calling it “irresponsible behavior.”

Despite industry professionals advising against his method of installation, the owner of this vehicle apparently chose to ignore this advice. We were extremely fortunate that no one was injured as a result of this as we would be discussing who would be held criminally negligent had there been an injury or death. In light of some of this information, I hope that many of you will start to contemplate the safety of yourselves, your friends, or even your families. Through reading these blogs, I have come to understand that this is an all too common decision made by people on their vehicles. Perhaps this event, however unfortunate, will shed some light on what we believe to be an extremely dangerous and irresponsible modification being performed on
many vehicles. This should serve as a wake-up call to anyone considering performing this modification to their vehicle. Thankfully it was only a car lost and not a life.

Sincerely,
Wayne Hammond
General Manager of Brandon Ford
Old 03-26-2010, 11:44 AM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

so with that said as a show of good will, would you guys at least take car of his deductible?? if anything else you guys know the techs in the back room will be laughing about this for years.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:48 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i have a remote start but IT WILL NOT START IF THE CAR IS IN GEAR OR IF THE E-BRAKE ISNT UP. but either way i still think you guys are responsible and should help the guy out.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:49 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

With all due respect to both parties this sounds like a slam dunk to me.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:54 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

This is nice, but this isn't solving the problem. As a dealer, you would want your customers to come back by RESOLVING the problem. This is just a case of you pointing fingers and placing blame on the car owner, not finding a proper solution with the owner of the vehicle and seeing what could be done to fix the problem.

I find it VERY unprofessional that you, the dealer, are handling this situation in this manner.

Don't come into a problem without a solution. This is exactly what I'm seeing here...
Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM
07gtdude
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for coming on here and giving your side. Many figured we weren't getting the full story.

Prediction: This thread will go nowhere fast due to all the "internet lawyers" who will post up legal advice.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

I'd like to see some pictures of this remote. Sounds like you're claiming the tech that hit the button was trying to unlock the doors.

At any rate, your "not our problem" attitude about the entire thing is disappointing.

How about get the guy a D-plan price on a new ride?

Last edited by VRFlip; 03-26-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Wow. More info.

So the car managed to overcome the emergency brake and just lurched right into the pond. Was it running when it entered the pond or had it stalled out before that point?

This is an odd situation. I'd be curious to see the outcome if it ever ended up in court.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:03 PM
07gtdude
2nd Gear Member

Guys I doubt the dealer is even going to read our responses. This is probably more of a "drive-by" post if you know what I mean...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

At least they stepped up and told their side of the story. This was truely an unfortunate accident, and a lot of the responsibility rests with the owner of the mustang. In the end, even if it goes in court, it will probably end at a medium. It's sad to see a good mustang go to the yard, but I can not give much sympathy to the mustang owner. It was his choice to do something his senses should of told him was wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....Dealer Response