Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine bay cleanup...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 PM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Default Engine bay cleanup...

I got a can of Black Magic 2-in-1 engine shine. I think it looks pretty straightfoward, but should I avoid my CAI filter? It may sound like a stupid question but I don't know what would happen if I got anything on it. Also, how do I clean the filter? It's a Steeda CAI, I believe it's a dry filter.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:25 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Cover the intake cone and your alternator. The rest should be ok. There are some that will try to cover up ever wire connection, but I don't feel its necessary. The real trick is a pressure washer on low setting. They use less water, with more pressure and get the car engine bay cleaned up nice and fast.
Steeda sells a cleaner and oil pack for $12.95 iirc. But it costs another $12 to ship it. And its like that every where else i've checked too.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:27 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Stang
Cover the intake cone and your alternator. The rest should be ok. There are some that will try to cover up ever wire connection, but I don't feel its necessary. The real trick is a pressure washer on low setting. They use less water, with more pressure and get the car engine bay cleaned up nice and fast.
Steeda sells a cleaner and oil pack for $12.95 iirc. But it costs another $12 to ship it. And its like that every where else i've checked too.
You can use a pressure washer on an engine bay?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:16 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I use water ALL OVER my motor but here's my procedure.

- Run the motor to normal temps, but don't thrash it and get it Hot.
- Spray your degreaser/cleaner wherever you want it (I just unload everywhere on the motor, I figure WTH, go for it)
- Wait a few mins for cleaner to do work but not long enough for it to dry
- Spray water to rinse. I use a hose, no need to use jet washer
- Wait for a few mins, you'll see the heat of the motor will dry the long block almost straight away
- After five minutes I unleash the WD40 can and give everything a light spray. This stops the alloy going White and ugly. I usually spray a bit directly on plug/sockets.
- Leave for 5 more minutes then start her up and let her idle a bit longer to get heat back into the headers which will accelerate the drying process.
- I also clean and wax the fender exteriors as you get some splash of cleaner on the paint which streaks.

I've used this method for simply years on sophisticated EFI motors with absolutely no issues.

I emphasize that you must make sure the motor is Warm though, it's this which chases moisture from the electrics.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:56 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Marcus, I pity the shop that will spray your front clip if that ever happens...
Hello, fisheye City!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:34 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

meh, if they can't remove a bit of wax they don't deserve my business
Old 03-31-2010, 06:39 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Red face

Originally Posted by SilasX93
You can use a pressure washer on an engine bay?
yea, but electric pressure washer. not a 3300psi monster, 1100 will be fine. It uses less water (only 3 gallons a minute) than a garden hose. I never liked the idea of flooding the engine bay at 6 gallons a minute.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:25 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

yea, but electric pressure washer. not a 3300psi monster, 1100 will be fine. It uses less water (only 3 gallons a minute) than a garden hose. I never liked the idea of flooding the engine bay at 6 gallons a minute.
You don't need a lot of water, but despite that, I wouldn't use a pressure washer of any kind, that's asking for trouble. Water being fired at speed has a nasty way of getting into places even submersing doesn't !!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:41 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
You don't need a lot of water, but despite that, I wouldn't use a pressure washer of any kind, that's asking for trouble. Water being fired at speed has a nasty way of getting into places even submersing doesn't !!
its not "fired" at a crazy speed. a 60 degree tip at 1100psi has very little punch. have you ever used an electric pressure washer??? self car wash stations have them set up to wash your car. Its recommended on the box. And perfectly safe. The benefit is that less water is being used on the engine bay. And just how you wouldn't keep a heavy flow in one spot with a garden hose, I wouldn't do the same with a pressure washer. if you don't like it, don't use it. but try it on a crappy car if you don't believe me. the results will surprise you.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

its not "fired" at a crazy speed. a 60 degree tip at 1100psi has very little punch. have you ever used an electric pressure washer??? self car wash stations have them set up to wash your car. Its recommended on the box. And perfectly safe. The benefit is that less water is being used on the engine bay. And just how you wouldn't keep a heavy flow in one spot with a garden hose, I wouldn't do the same with a pressure washer. if you don't like it, don't use it. but try it on a crappy car if you don't believe me. the results will surprise you.
I don't just use a lazy open ended garden hose LOL I use one with an adjustable nozzle of course and use the fine jet.
But enough, it CAN be done which is all the OP wants to know.

Quick Reply: Engine bay cleanup...