Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a spoiler delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default Thinking about a spoiler delete

Was looking at my car the other night and i think no spoiler could be a very sleek look with my blackout panel and cs rear. Ive read a few threads on how to do a cheap delete without repainting and what not. The best method ive seen was using some sort of plastic plug and then just painting it. Does anyone have more info on where to get something like that? Also if i decide i like the spoiler look better, how can i reattach it? buy some 3m and bolt it back?

Also any redfires without spoilers or spoilers other then oem should post pics
Old 04-04-2010, 11:00 PM
06z28eater
3rd Gear Member

yeah i know for sure u can just use 3m tape to reapply it. i like the non spoiler look, beats the hell out of the stock spoiler for sure. i was going to but i got the gt500 replica. i remember reading about a guy who found some bolts with thin heads and used them and painted the heads. looked good
Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 AM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Ive gone spoiler delete on my last two stangs and wouldnt have it any other way, LOVE the spoiler delete. I just plugged the holes temporarily but my "temporary" plug has been going over a year now!! LOL

Before:

After:
Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

lol my spoiler delete consisted of four small thin pieces of plastic lined up under the spoiler holes and duct tape cut to fit under it. Looked good because I have a black car, but now, I'd rather have the black plugs like above. Once I have everything squared away in terms of power, I'd like to get a oem replacement.. for $450.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:06 AM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
lol my spoiler delete consisted of four small thin pieces of plastic lined up under the spoiler holes and duct tape cut to fit under it. Looked good because I have a black car, but now, I'd rather have the black plugs like above. Once I have everything squared away in terms of power, I'd like to get a oem replacement.. for $450.

That is my goal, one of these days!!!! lol
Old 04-05-2010, 11:28 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

quick vid of rear of car (redfire or torchred???) with spoiler delete....just ignore the sound of the SPR III cams

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...camsstage3.flv
Old 04-05-2010, 12:28 PM
CKurello
3rd Gear Member

I recently did this and I love it. I used these to plug the holes then put a washer and caulked them. FYI these are also the correct fasteners for rockers panels. http://www.autoparts2020.com/rsdev/p...T_HDR_ID=96533
Old 04-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Im kinda thinking about putting a peice of plastic or something on the back of the holes (as in inside the trunk) then filling whats left with touch up paint. It seems like that would give the closest to professional look without spending much money at all
Old 04-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
Im kinda thinking about putting a peice of plastic or something on the back of the holes (as in inside the trunk) then filling whats left with touch up paint. It seems like that would give the closest to professional look without spending much money at all
Think I paid about $1 for the 4 plastic plugs from Ace Hardware and used a bottle of Ford touch up paint to color match the plugs and they really blend in nicely.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:26 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
Think I paid about $1 for the 4 plastic plugs from Ace Hardware and used a bottle of Ford touch up paint to color match the plugs and they really blend in nicely.
I need to stop on Lowe's on my way home tonight to pick up some storage bins and might pick up some of said plugs. Are they in the hardware section? Any particular type of plug I should look for?

I've wanted to take my spoiler off almost from the time I got the car and this idea looks like a great way to do it on the cheap.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a spoiler delete