Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenne Bell tune vs custom dyno tune?????

Old 04-05-2010, 05:22 PM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

Default Kenne Bell tune vs custom dyno tune?????

Hey guys, my rides mods are listed in my sig for reference. Right now I am running the stock KB tune, 10 lbs of boost, 2.6 blower. I am curious to know what advantages I will get if I go with a custom dyno tune? Getting more power isn't really the goal I am going for because, according to the previous owner, the car dynoed at 474rwhp, and 450rwtq. However, like I said, I am curious what a custom dyno tune could do for my ride. Would I possibly get better acceleration in the higher gears (4th or 5th)? Basiclly, I am trying to justify the 600 dollar punch I would have to take to get my car on a dyno. Thanks guys!

Chris
Old 04-05-2010, 05:27 PM
blicona

Well getting your car dyno tuned will be whatever works best for YOUR car. The KB tune is a general tune for EVERYONE that has similar mods like you do. So in the long run for performance and certain drive ability ur better off getting ur car dyno tuned, but the KB tune is just as good IMO. Depends what you are looking to do with the car.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:30 PM
BAKnBLK2010
1st Gear Member

The KB tune is probably pretty conservative as to not hurt your motor. That being said if your car is running as it should with no problems making the horsepower you say it is I would leave it alone and spend the money elswhere.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:35 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

if it runs fine how it is, and you are not wanting more power. i dont see any reason for getting a dyno tune. if you are losing power in the higher rpms, maybe a dyno session would see whats happening up there. but if its running fine and you are satisfied with it, i wouldnt touch it. 470/450 is more than enough for the bottom end IMO, unless you want to push your luck.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:14 PM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys. I am getting plenttyyyyy of power in the upper RPMS thats for sure. It feels like a freighttrain is pulling me at 2500rpms, and just builds from there for sure. 5th gear however, does not pull very hard at all, I assume that is normal however, especially at 80 mph . I am not really having any issues with driveablility, but my car does some things sometimes that I think are attributed to the tune. When the car has been running for awhile (nice and warm), and I shut it off and try and restart it while warm, it takes a LONG time to turn over, and when it does turnover, it sounds like only 3-5 cylinders start up, and then the rest kick in a few seconds later. It only does this when warm when cold it starts right up. Maybe all the extra fuel that gets dumped in the cylinders is flooding them when I shut it down? Who knows. I am not getting any CELS or anything, just something I'd like to fix.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

When I put my kit on I went and had dyno diagnostics done. Cost me $100. They said they could squeeze maybe another 20hp so I left it alone. Everything checked out ok
Old 04-05-2010, 08:45 PM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ziperhead
When I put my kit on I went and had dyno diagnostics done. Cost me $100. They said they could squeeze maybe another 20hp so I left it alone. Everything checked out ok
maybe I'll start there then. Justin at VMPtuning charges around that just for a diagnostic run to tell you "whats goin on" under there, and hes about 30 minutes from my house
Old 04-06-2010, 01:29 AM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

bump
Old 04-06-2010, 02:17 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

I'd be very happy if you find out those to be the true numbers. Just go for a dyno session to see that those numbers claimed are backed up or near. I would happily keep that kb tune.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I dyno'd 474 on their 9psi stage 2 kit so those numbers are realistic. low rpms in 5th gear you just can't expect your car to get up and go like 2nd or 3rd gear. the car is fighting drag from going 70-80mph and you just don't have the mechanical advantage of the lower gears.

their tune is also a conservative tune and it's for a reason, it's to save your motor so it can live a long happy life if you want more power then start saving up for a built bottom end. get one of those in there then you can start cranking the boost and having fun

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kenne Bell tune vs custom dyno tune?????