Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible new mustang owner

Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 AM
dave2521

Default possible new mustang owner

What is up guys. So I have been kind of stalking these forums for a while, and the reason I say stalking is because everyone's stang here is sexy.

Anyways I have a chance to buy a brand new 2010 mustang GT for 23.5k. I want to know if this is a good deal or not. Also I have been reading the differences in the GT and the GT premium and i want to know if it would be better to go for the premium. (can pick the GT premium up for about 26.5k)

Here is my situation, I currently am driving a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3. Love the car but just do not feel it is me anymore. I hate the turbo because I only get so many times that i get to actually use it. Plus the fact that the turbo really only gets a nice spool once I hit 3250 RPM.

So Just looking for some info on if it would be a worth while change from the mazda to the mustang. Also GT or if its worth it to go with the GT premium.

Thanks again and I appreciate it!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 AM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

I just went on ford's website and compared the 2 models (http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mus...s=gt|gtpremium). Performance wise they are both the same, unless the premium has the optional TrackPack. If im not mistaken the major difference is the interior trim and leather... im sure many guys on here can correct me if im wrong. IMO paying $3000 extra for that is not worth it. Id rather get the standard version and spend $3k on mods.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dave2521
Anyways I have a chance to buy a brand new 2010 mustang GT for 23.5k. I want to know if this is a good deal or not.
That seems like a pretty good deal to me. Mileage?

I would put the extra 3K towards mods, save up for a blower or something. 3K can go a long way towards mods and the possibilities are almost endless. But once the mod bug bites, that 3K will go fast
Old 04-09-2010, 11:07 AM
papplesworth

What is up guys. So I have been kind of stalking these forums for a while, and the reason I say stalking is because everyone's stang here is sexy.

Anyways I have a chance to buy a brand new 2010 mustang GT for 23.5k. I want to know if this is a good deal or not. Also I have been reading the differences in the GT and the GT premium and i want to know if it would be better to go for the premium. (can pick the GT premium up for about 26.5k)

Here is my situation, I currently am driving a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3. Love the car but just do not feel it is me anymore. I hate the turbo because I only get so many times that i get to actually use it. Plus the fact that the turbo really only gets a nice spool once I hit 3250 RPM.

So Just looking for some info on if it would be a worth while change from the mazda to the mustang. Also GT or if its worth it to go with the GT premium.

Thanks again and I appreciate it!
I guess i came from a sort of similar situation. I had a 2004 SRT-4 and just got a 2010 GT premium. I'm not sure you're going to find that mustang is all that much more shockingly quick at low RPM's. I can only really tell it's any faster if i have a long stretch of open highway. But maybe the speed3 has more turbo lag than an SRT-4, i haven't driven one. Anyway, the GT engine really shines above 4k in my opinion.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Also I have been reading the differences in the GT and the GT premium and i want to know if it would be better to go for the premium. (can pick the GT premium up for about 26.5k)

Is there anything about the premium, or any option that requires you to start at that level, that is a "must-have"? I don't think it's possible for anybody else to answer that part of it for you without interjecting some of their own preferences (which may or may not match yours). So all I can suggest is to consider carefully and decide the things you want (or don't want) and the things that are deal-breakers to either have or not. For some things, it may not be realistically possible to do them at a later date. That has to be your choice.

I think you'd find that you could drive the Mustang in slightly more relaxed fashion around town, since you wouldn't always be thinking of the difference between off-boost vs with boost performance. There's enough low end torque to avoid at least some of the downshifts to 2nd that you're probably making now (3rd would work fine). Let's just say that I'm beginning to get a peek at this going the other way with my wife's new turbocharged DD (not enough miles on it to really see what it's got yet). Even with boost coming in noticeably at 2000 or so, there doesn't seem to be much happening down around 1500 (at which point while the Mustang isn't screaming-fast it's at least not lugging).

Norm
Old 04-09-2010, 11:53 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

just compare what the two have and make a list of what you want then thats what you should buy
Old 04-09-2010, 12:34 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

That's a very nice deal for a new car. I'd go for it.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I'm a leather guy(Ford's cloth seats are horrible & hard to keep clean once they're dirty) so a premium is the only way to get leather(and you get the nicer interior trim, etc.). Like others have stated, $3K is hard to justify the major differences between the two, but if the premium you're looking at has a lot more content(as the base GT has only three or four options available), then it might be worth it. I paid $26K for my '06 and I thought i was getting a steal(it stickered at just under $30K). The 2010 premium GTs are all over $32K(MSRP). Premium for me!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:06 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

That's a good deal for a base. I got a base GT because I didn't want all that extra crap I won't even use on a daily, or even weekly basis.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:21 PM
dave2521

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
[FONT=Arial]
I think you'd find that you could drive the Mustang in slightly more relaxed fashion around town, since you wouldn't always be thinking of the difference between off-boost vs with boost performance. There's enough low end torque to avoid at least some of the downshifts to 2nd that you're probably making now (3rd would work fine). Let's just say that I'm beginning to get a peek at this going the other way with my wife's new turbocharged DD (not enough miles on it to really see what it's got yet). Even with boost coming in noticeably at 2000 or so, there doesn't seem to be much happening down around 1500 (at which point while the Mustang isn't screaming-fast it's at least not lugging).

Norm
See and the reason I do not like the Turbo is because of the part throttle boost, never a good thing for a Turbo. Since I live in a pretty populated area, I never really get a chance to get all the way into the turbo to enjoy it. Plus the gear ratio is so close in my current vehicle, I am always having to shift even when just a few MPH change in speed.

Now heres a good question though. The new 5.0 is coming out next year and the specs on it look awesome. I most likely will not be able to get even naer the same deal as I am on the 2010. Should I wait and see what I can get on the 2011 5.0 or should I bite on the deal that I am going to get on the 2010?

Also, would it be worth white to go for the 3.73 package for the 2010, seems to get a lot of upgrade for such a low price. Just not sure if its worth it to try and find one that has that.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: possible new mustang owner