Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headrest angle?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Slickvic_
1st Gear Member

Default Headrest angle?

My wife Loves our new 2010 Mustang GT but noted that the headrest is tilted a bit too far forward.
It hits her in the back of the head even when I'm not jumping on the gas pedal and slamming her head into it.

I searched the forum for postings on how to adjust the angle of the headrest but came up empty handed.

It appears that other folks have noticed that it leans too far forward as well.

Has anyone removed the headrest and adjusted the bar angle or is it made from hardened steel that will require a 20 ton press to bend?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 AM
mustangmike_50

I hven't seen any head rest's that the bars have been modified, because they have to be straight to slide through the height adjusters.
but what we have been doing, is removing the head rest and installing them in backwards so that the tilted in head rest face towards the back of the car.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 AM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Dentist Chair style FTW LOL!! But hey seems like it would work!!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Slickvic_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmike_50
What we have been doing, is removing the head rest and installing them in backwards so that the tilted in head rest face towards the back of the car.
Definitely worth a try. Thanx!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Have you tried raising it up? Much better for me.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:33 AM
dconfer
1st Gear Member

Dont want to start a new thread but does anyone have any problems with the seat belt cutting into your neck. I have been trying to figure out a way to adjust it so it doesnt do that.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

The headrest is at that bad angle due to Federal rear-end crash requirements. All new cars are supposed to have only one inch clearance between the back of the head and the rest, to reduce whiplash injuries in a rear collision. I don't think it can be adjusted.
That said, my girlfriend, and my 17 year old daughter both hate it.

And yes, my seatbelt can ride up my neck too.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dconfer
Dont want to start a new thread but does anyone have any problems with the seat belt cutting into your neck. I have been trying to figure out a way to adjust it so it doesnt do that.
Not so much digging into my neck but just too much tension. I got one of these. And yes, in the picture she has it adjusted too loosely for safety. This does allow you to adjust it properly and reduce the tension. May help with the neck issue as well. You do have to adjust it every time, but it quickly becomes routine.

http://www.seatbelttensionadjuster.com/
Old 04-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dconfer
Yeah, it's annoying. Wish it was height adjustable.

I also have a similar complaint about the headrests. They're angled too far forward IMO. I tried reversing them but felt it wouldn't offer enough support in the event of a crash. If you tilt the seat back a tad it seems to help. You can also try raising the head rest a notch or two.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 AM
10KonaBGT
2nd Gear Member

I was just about to start a thread on this very thing. Being that I am a woman with fairly long hair and often wear it in a pony tail or tied up with a large clip. The headrest hits exactly wear my hair is piled up and pushes the clip into the back of my head, VERY annoying! I like the idea of turning it around but I dont think the look of it being backward would be to appealling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headrest angle?