Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I go with the new pypes "Bomb" Exhaust? Need Major Input

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 PM
GiMiX
2nd Gear Member

Smile Should I go with the new pypes "Bomb" Exhaust? Need Major Input

So I been doing my research and i know its a new product and not many has them yet but here is my issue. I have a complete stock exhaust and i am in a big budget. I saw a couple videos so far the only good video is the one from "American Muscle." but from what i hear sounds about what im looking for. I'm not too picky with the sound i just pretty much want a stock exhuast sound but much louder and maybe a little more aggressive. I'm pretty confident im going to go with this exhaust but before i do i just wanted some input from people who has them or heard experience from others with them. My issue with the "Bomb" is that compared to the other exhaust it amazes me how cheap they are and i guess that kinda worries me how cheap it is. Even the pypes Violators which i was originally going to get until the prices went up a few bux(i dunno why) but when the bombs came out it looked a lot similar but cheaper and maybe louder then the violators??? I love the stock sound like i said but want it much LOUDER and maybe more aggressive WITHOUT THE "POPING" SOUND WHICH IM ALSO CONCERNED about... i just dont understand how cheap it is compared to other exhaust.. hahaa anyways Thx guys!!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:18 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

it is cheap, and if you dont like it you wont be out a lot of money.
it will sound much like LM's or boomtubes
it wont sound like violators or any chambered mufflers
since you are on a budget and you want loud, i would say go for it!
but i would also guess that there will be some popping, i've had popping with every exhaust setup even the stockers, some more than others. i dont think you can completely eliminate the popping, but only contain it more or less.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

boom tubes are nice, but i heard an extremly good setup the other day that made me quite jealous. unfortunately i dont know what it was but it looked kinds like LMs maybe?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

They're so cheap, that I had to get a set to try.

I just put them on my car this evening and drove around a little.

On startup, they are loud and sound good. They settle down as typical when the car warms up. Sounds serious at warm idle. Parked and revving sounds really good.

Cruising around the city it sounds mean in a good way. But not too obnoxious if you don't jump on the throttle. If you give it some decent part throttle abd get the revs between 2000-3000 to get going quickly on the street, it's a little too loud. Loud enough to get some cop attention I'm sure.

I passed by 3 cop cars this evening. One even pulled up next to me at a stop light. I had to feather the throttle really carefully to keep the noise down when I took off.

These things drone around 1800-2000. Didn't like that.

Cruising at 40mph or so it sounded good. But just 2/3 throttle to get up to 60-70 was loud and obnoxious. Bad enough where it might discourage me from jumping on the throttle, which would be no fun. With my GTA's I have no problem to go WOT whenever I feel like it. The GTA's sound good, but are slightly on the quiet side for me.

I'm going to get on the highway tomorrow and try out the Pype Bombs some more.

At this point, I'm thinking of cutting in a pair of Dynomax race bullets in front of the axle. I was expecting to have to do that. They should cut the drone and mellow out the sound on WOT.

The construction on the mufflers is good. The polish is nice. The welds are all TIG, not MIG or stick, and I was glad to see that. The welds have really good penetration without being burned or spattered, and I don't expect any of them to crack.

They fit reasonably well. Will take some more adjustment to get the tips aligned and centered.

The inlet pipe was a little on the loose side, but at least you don't have to fight it to get it on. The clamps didn't tighten up very well though. The muffler to over axle pipe connection still wiggled a little. I'm going to take the clamps off my GTA's and try those instead.

So if you don't mind drone, and you want to sound like Billy Bad *** all the time when you halfway jump on the throttle, these are for you.

If you want to pair these up with some race bullets or resonators to tone it down, these might be ok.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 AM
GiMiX
2nd Gear Member

oh wow awsome explanation man.. i appreciate all yall's post... Def let me know when you try out the bomb some poor and see any new input. I am pretty confident im gonna go with these haha just waiting for "American Muscle" to respond to my PM about the forum discount haha wonder how much discount it is..... can use whatever i can get though. Thx again keep the pposting!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Discount is 6%.

Gotta do my last minute taxes today. Then see about messing with the car some more.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:52 AM
GiMiX
2nd Gear Member

Ahh i see better then nothing... thats nice of them. Weel i notice your car is a v6 wonder what the difference is with the bombs on my GT....
Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 AM
jmn444
1st Gear Member

I have them too, LOVE them... inlets def are too big, use diff clamps or get them as tight as you can and tack weld em ( i did this...)

minimal drone, occasional popping, only when cold, not bad at all though, just a little...

They sound like a full blown race car at WOT, but civil and just loud enough putting around town. Just enough rumble inside the car to know they are there 90% of the time.

here's a link to my thread on teamshelby w/ vids from me and a couple other guys... I think we all have Xpipes from shelby though, so yours might sound a lil different.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...1&#entry923573

Last edited by jmn444; 04-13-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Fleming23

I just ordered my Pype bombs about 30 minutes ago before even seeing this thread. Right now AM has $15 off $100 (promotion I received in my email) +$5 coupon for posting a picture brought them to $199 shipped. Even if I grow tired of them at that price it will be hard to beat! I too held off for a while because they just seemed to be priced too low which is generally a good sign regarding the quality of the product. It seems everyone has favorable reviews though so I look forward to giving them a try.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GiMiX
Ahh i see better then nothing... thats nice of them. Weel i notice your car is a v6 wonder what the difference is with the bombs on my GT....
I have duals with an X pipe.

The V8 should have more rumble than the V6 due to consecutive firing order for a couple pistons on each bank. The V6 has more of a rip sound due to alternating banks firing all the time.

The V6 actually has more displacement per cylinder so each individual exhaust pulse is bigger on the 6 than the 8.

The main issue is like the other poster said. At WOT it sounds like a race car.

So much that I don't want to be jumping on it all the time, which kills the fun.

I just ordered a pair of Dynomax bullets to see if I can cut some of the WOT noise. That tends to work for the guys running Stingers. If it doesn't, I'll go back to my GTA's.

Quick Reply: Should I go with the new pypes "Bomb" Exhaust? Need Major Input