Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! GT 500 Fuel Pump Install Went Bad...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Default Help! GT 500 Fuel Pump Install Went Bad...

I followed the directions and Oneyedwilleys tutorial word for word.

However after getting everything put together I go to start the car it runs for like 30 seconds rough and then cuts off. I then turn the key again turns over for awhile finally starts and does the same thing runs rough and cuts off after 30 seconds or so. Now it won't start at all.

Yes the fuel pump relay was put back in. At first my gauges didn't work so I check the sending wires and those weren't right so I fixed that now they work fine but car still won't run.

I have looked over everyones pictures here of the trunk and fuel pump drivers and mine looked to be hooked up exactly the same. (Original driver wire unplugged and then plugged into the center harness, new pump driver wires plug in the the driver side and passenger side driver, everything grounded.)

I took the pump out and looked at it everything with it looks fine I regret doing this because not I have to fight to get it back in tomorrow.

One thing I really don't understand is this kit included a fuse and a little blue plastic thing (doesn't appear to be related to hooking up the sending units), but no instructions I read made any mention of installing a fuse or changing one.

Once you take the sending wires out of the old original harness that old harness doesn't get connected to anything does it?

I'm at a loss for words any help any of you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I worked on this for the last two days and believe I did everything right and it doesn't work, very frustrating.

Last edited by Analyzer52; 04-19-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:20 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

with key on, make sure your pulling 12volts at the pump, and a good ground. Otherwise next thing would be to test the fuel pressure. maybe its just a bad pump.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Analyzer52
I followed the directions and Oneyedwilleys tutorial word for word.

However after getting everything put together I go to start the car it runs for like 30 seconds rough and then cuts off. I then turn the key again turns over for awhile finally starts and does the same thing runs rough and cuts off after 30 seconds or so. Now it won't start at all.

Yes the fuel pump relay was put back in. At first my gauges didn't work so I check the sending wires and those weren't right so I fixed that now they work fine but car still won't run.

I have looked over everyones pictures here of the trunk and fuel pump drivers and mine looked to be hooked up exactly the same. (Original driver wire unplugged and then plugged into the center harness, new pump driver wires plug in the the driver side and passenger side driver, everything grounded.)

I took the pump out and looked at it everything with it looks fine I regret doing this because not I have to fight to get it back in tomorrow.

One thing I really don't understand is this kit included a fuse and a little blue plastic thing (doesn't appear to be related to hooking up the sending units), but no instructions I read made any mention of installing a fuse or changing one.

Once you take the sending wires out of the old original harness that old harness doesn't get connected to anything does it?

I'm at a loss for words any help any of you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I worked on this for the last two days and believe I did everything right and it doesn't work, very frustrating.
The old fuel pump connector doesn't get used which is correct. You only need the two wires from it for the fuel level gauge.

During my Whipple install, I noticed the end of the harness for the GT500 pump had a pin connector which seemed odd. How am I going to use that connector to hook it up to the fuse block in the engine bay, I asked myself. I then realized what that little fuse and fuse holder with the red wire was for. The pin connector slides into the back of the fuse holder and the fuse holder connects to a black cap. The red wire then connects to the fuse block. I've included some pics of the fuse and fuse holder...

I'm pointing to the power wire from the GT500 fuel pump harness.

I'm pointing to the power wire that is attached to the fuse holder and that connects to the fuse block.

I'm inserting the fuse holder into the black cap to secure it.

I don't know if that will solve your problem but it's a start. Also, when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 04-20-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

are you sure you have the 2006-2008 GT500 pump and not a 09+ pump?

A few guys have run into issues. I guess Ford switched up some wires or something and a few pumps are different
Old 04-20-2010, 04:11 AM
davisr014
2nd Gear Member

Double check me but I believe that it is fuse 21(or 42?) that is currently a 15 amp fuse. you will need to replace it with a 30 amp fuse. The fuse is located under the hood in the center towards the back of the fuse block. Hope this helps. I would also check the ground wires to verify the are grounded correctly.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:57 AM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
The old fuel pump connector doesn't get used which is correct. You only need the two wires from it for the fuel level gauge.

During my Whipple install, I noticed the end of the harness for the GT500 pump had a pin connector which seemed odd. How am I going to use that connector to hook it up to the fuse block in the engine bay, I asked myself. I then realized what that little fuse and fuse holder with the red wire was for. The pin connector slides into the back of the fuse holder and the fuse holder connects to a black cap. The red wire then connects to the fuse block. I've included some pics of the fuse and fuse holder...

I'm pointing to the power wire from the GT500 fuel pump harness.

I'm pointing to the power wire that is attached to the fuse holder and that connects to the fuse block.

I'm inserting the fuse holder into the black cap to secure it.

I don't know if that will solve your problem but it's a start. Also, when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
This is probably my problem I never put the fuse in there put the wires in and capped it off with no fuse, circuit is probably not connected I could kick myself right now for taking the damn pump back out should have just gave up when frustration set in and and went back at it today. I will try this later today and report back.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:03 AM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

One other thing did anyone have problems with the little black feet trying to come off the bottom of the pump when installing it in the whole if so what did you do?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:56 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by davisr014
Double check me but I believe that it is fuse 21(or 42?) that is currently a 15 amp fuse. you will need to replace it with a 30 amp fuse. The fuse is located under the hood in the center towards the back of the fuse block. Hope this helps. I would also check the ground wires to verify the are grounded correctly.
#21 in the engine bay fuse bock is the fuel pump relay. You're not supposed to change it.

This is probably my problem I never put the fuse in there put the wires in and capped it off with no fuse, circuit is probably not connected I could kick myself right now for taking the damn pump back out should have just gave up when frustration set in and and went back at it today. I will try this later today and report back.
That would explain why your car started and died and now it won't start at all. You probably had some extra fuel in the lines so the car ran until there was no more and now the car won't start at all. You have an open circuit without that little fuse so the pump never pumped.

One other thing did anyone have problems with the little black feet trying to come off the bottom of the pump when installing it in the whole if so what did you do?
I didn't have a problem with the feet but I know some people did and had to fish them out.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Anything u can safely use to hold them there until the pump is in place? Dont want to get the pump all the way in place and then find out they are floating around.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:23 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Anything u can safely use to hold them there until the pump is in place? Dont want to get the pump all the way in place and then find out they are floating around.
Maybe some Krazy Glue. Something that will hold the feet in place temporarily while you lower the pump. The Krazy Glue should dissolve eventually and not harm anything. Just put one little dab on the tip and shove it in the hole.

Quick Reply: Help! GT 500 Fuel Pump Install Went Bad...