Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wreck Today...What do I do now?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:56 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I'm still waiting for the repercussions from my insurance company over my last little off-roading fiasco. My agent was already snooty when I put the third mustang on my policy, which I thought was absurd. It just meant more money for her.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:04 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by ht11121991
What can I do about it now though. To my knowledge, he didn't even write it down. I'll access the report once I get home, but I'm pretty sure he just wrote that the light was yellow. I can go talk to the guy that said it was red...I know where he works now, but I don't know what good that will do at this point.

As far as the car goes, its looking like it may be totalled because of the door damage. No word yet, but thats my guess...I don't know what to do if it is because the KBB on a 6er isn't good.
Go to the guy, get his information and let your insurance company call him and get a testimony. That is the best thing you can do right now.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:04 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

If it's totalled then I guess all is lost. I'll only get like what? Maybe $7,500? Evidently, the guy who pulled the car up onto the wrecker thought that it was totalled.

My dad can't decide what to do now. If we want it to be totalled, would it be better to take it to someone like True 2 Form or would it be better to take it to a custom place, or does it even matter?

I really don't know. If I had a steady income, I could move on, but I don't...this was pretty much it.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:43 PM
FutureS197

Sorry about the accident-

Cops DO NOT decide fault. They can heavily influence it, but that is all. But, either way if it was red or not the other party's insurance company will argue that you pulled in front of their insured. And from the scenario you provide, if he is guilty of running red so are you.

...It's just a crappy situation.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:43 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by ht11121991
If it's totalled then I guess all is lost. I'll only get like what? Maybe $7,500? Evidently, the guy who pulled the car up onto the wrecker thought that it was totalled.

My dad can't decide what to do now. If we want it to be totalled, would it be better to take it to someone like True 2 Form or would it be better to take it to a custom place, or does it even matter?

I really don't know. If I had a steady income, I could move on, but I don't...this was pretty much it.
You need to stop with that "IF" bullschit. All is not lost.
I understand you're depressed but you can always contract with the Insurance Cie if the car is totaled...
That means you'll settle for an certain amount via contract with the Insurance and after that, they're out of the loop.
You can't ask them for more, like supplements etc...

Here's a scenario that could happen:
Your car is worth say $8000, 70% is $5600.
So when it hits that mark (5600), it's totaled.
OK, so let's assume the damage hits $5800, they'll total the car because you're past the $5600 mark.
Now, that stupid OEM hood is worth $1300. That's a big chunk of that 70% figure and you can go with an aftermarket one for $500 top.
That means that the $800 difference is what is actually putting you over the top and totaling the car.

So if you contract the car for say $5400 (below the total mark), you can come on top and save the car.
Talk to a shop and have them make you an estimate with using used parts only, I'm sure that it will help considerably.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:09 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

The insurance company is taking it in the morning. Evidently, according to my dad, they are charged a rate for it sitting at the wrecker lot, so they are taking it an hour away to assess it. If its okay, then they bring it back. I don't know why they can't just assess it here. Is this okay or do I need to stop what is going on?

I'm adding pics right now. I went out there today and took the wheels off the car and put the old ones back on.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:20 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Pics: Awful LG Scoop Quality but this is all I could muster.

It appears to me that the fenders are what is stopping the doors from opening. I know they are in the way, I assume that is the only thing stopping the doors. The wrecker guy said that since both fenders are messed up, then he thinks that the car shifted on the frame.

These are where the fender meets the door on both sides. The first one (worst one) is the driver side, because the cop pulled the door open and bent the fender metal.

The wrecker guy also noted that this would be an expensive fix. I showed him how the metal wall to the engine compartment was bent in where the impact occured. He said all the lines on that side are okay but that piece will be expensive to fix. I tried to get a decent pic of it but it was hard...

That's all I got. I hope this helps everyone.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:29 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

damn sorry to hear man i hope all works out for you. from the looks of it i think it is totalled
Old 04-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Ouch sorry to hear man. Hope it ends well for ya.
Just to let ya know, even if they find the light was red for him, you most likely will still be at fault. Don't cross that white line if you cannot clear the intersection!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:13 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Sorry if this is going to sound like I'm standing on a Soap box, but here I go:

You were both doing illegal things, and if what you were both doing was legal (I.E. not running a light) you would still be at fault.

Whenever you think, dam this is a busy intersection, I better pull up past the light and I can get through when it turns red, your wrong. Not just you, about 70% of people do that crap. You are running a red light just as much as if you were still behind the line. Also, its crap like this that causes traffic jams. For your convenience, your holding up the other lane from going. The law is you do not enter a intersection unless you can immediately exit. Sorry you have to here it now, but if you had been taught it earlier, you would have not gotten in the accident. Also, you wouldn't be trying to grab witnesses to pin it on the BMW, cause you would realize your at fault.

That said, it still sucks and I feel for you, hope all works out for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wreck Today...What do I do now?