Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Undead Saleen - Rebuild Started

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
Lol thanks.

Booze I'll be in touch later once I figure out where all my missing pieces are. The goal is to build something where if someone was rebuilding an engine, they could pretty much JUST use this guide. It would be like the Ford manual, only with shots of real engines, plus all the little GOTCHAS the manual leaves out.

Thats the goal anyways.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

need to kill some time at work? haha

looking forward to the write up
Old 08-11-2010, 11:38 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Well so far I'm pretty busy . We all have great engine write-ups, and I think finding a good way to merge all of our experience into one write up would be great. I figured I'd write something up, then pass it along to those who have built and documented an engine for their input/edits/etc. I figured the outcome would be a nice post and possible PDF that someone could download for all their 4.6l/5.0 3v needs.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:52 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Well so far I'm pretty busy . We all have great engine write-ups, and I think finding a good way to merge all of our experience into one write up would be great. I figured I'd write something up, then pass it along to those who have built and documented an engine for their input/edits/etc. I figured the outcome would be a nice post and possible PDF that someone could download for all their 4.6l/5.0 3v needs.
That would be awesome. Looking forward to reading it. Good Luck with the car.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

That would be a great idea.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:57 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud

We all have great engine write-ups

I figured the outcome would be a nice post and possible PDF that someone could download for all their 4.6l/5.0 3v needs.

it would be an all star cast of writers....one eyed *****, bruceh, explict, boozeshey and siggyman. i look forward to getting an advanced copy.

Last edited by hammeron; 11-15-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:11 PM
ss04mach1

Default Would you change anything?

First off Great post! Unfortunatly I have found myself in a very similar situation. 7/2/10 I bought a 06 Saleen with 7400 miles on it. It was originally a non SC car. The previous owner bought and installed the 550 SC kit. 5 monthd to the day I ended up punching a hole in the ide of the block. If I were a betting man I bet they didn't forge the bottom end and left the compression ratio 10:1. I have been researching my options and then came accross this post. So my question is what would you add or change since the rebuild? I only want to do this once with my Saleen Any guideance is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:14 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Hey there. Sorry to hear that it happened to you as well. You're correct in that on the S281 and S281-S/C models they didn't forge the bottom end. I believe the stock ration was around 9.8:1, but someone can correct me on that.

What would I change since the build? Well, that would depend on your power goals. One, I'd get the Extreme Intake right away. The steeda unit I bought wasn't bad by any means, but I bought it because the Saleen Extreme intake was on backorder.

The other thing I'd do would be to start with 60lb injectors. The 39lbs work for my power levels, but if I wanted to go up from the 580 kit, I'd probably need to think about injectors.

Other than that, I have no complaints. Be sure and order a new windage tray if you get the stroker, and replace all of the timing components when you do the new build. Take no chances.

I have no complaints about the B302. Seems like a very high quality setup, that uses the Saleen 302 Extreme forged rotating assembly. Even my pistons were stamped Saleen. Not that it matters lol. I have heard good things about the Aluminator (non-stroked) shortblock as well. There are plenty here running that to high amounts of power. If you're keeping it Supercharged, I'd definitely go with a forged block.

I'm here often, so if you need help feel free to post or PM me. Once you start getting more into specifics, I'll hopefully be able to help more . Take pics when you start the build.

Let me know if you have an additional questions .
Old 12-26-2010, 02:43 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

How much power did your Saleen supercharger make on the stock motor before it blew?

I am interested in how much power the Saleen stage 2 will put to the wheels. I am estimating about 440whp w/90 octane and 20% loss due to my auto trans..
Old 12-26-2010, 09:52 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
How much power did your Saleen supercharger make on the stock motor before it blew?

I am interested in how much power the Saleen stage 2 will put to the wheels. I am estimating about 440whp w/90 octane and 20% loss due to my auto trans..
Look at my sig for 5 spd brenspeed saleen stage 2 numbers.... they advertise 500 flywheel, but the shop I got dyno'd at said I'm closer to 520 flywheel. I imagine an auto would pull 15-20hp less.

Quick Reply: The Undead Saleen - Rebuild Started