Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Undead Saleen - Rebuild Started

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Warpig12354
It was the person before him.
Apparently the owner before me drove the **** out of it. When someone before me came to look at the car, I guess it still had wheel wells full of rubber. I got on it every now and then (who wouldn't) but I was polite to it because the engine had a tapping noise. I had it checked out under the "warranty" but they kept saying it wasn't anything to worry about. Every time I doubt my own experience and knowledge it comes back to bite me. And each time I've taken a car to a dealership (only under warranty) I ask myself "why am I wasting me time here?" 90% of the mechanics just follow the book and neglect/ignore their own intuition.

I feel like I'm a better mechanic than many of them doing it professionally, and part of this undertaking was to prove to myself (and those "Saleen" mechanics who will probably never know what I've done) that I can fix it as good as the next guy.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:35 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Thank you good sir

Stealth, it was running on 4lbs of boost when I blew. If I had to guess, I'd say it was probably more about the RPM's the previous owner probably turned than the 4lbs of boost.
!? 4 lbs.>?!

dang it.. I was planning on running 8 psi on a R2300 indefinitely with my auto..

as you know, the auto isn't exactly rev happy and it shifts on point (6k) so I might not have to worry about over revving.. even when manually shifting, I shift way before redline..
Old 12-28-2011, 07:38 AM
06whipple

Just saw this thread today. Looked like you were working under the car while it was supported by a floor jack...no jack stands. Please buy some jack stands...I know somebody that was crushed to death when their floor jack failed. That is one of the unsafest things you can do when working on your car.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06whipple
Just saw this thread today. Looked like you were working under the car while it was supported by a floor jack...no jack stands. Please buy some jack stands...I know somebody that was crushed to death when their floor jack failed. That is one of the unsafest things you can do when working on your car.
+1 ... I don't trust floor jacks either. If I don't have jack stands I lay the wheels/tires on their side under the car for a cheap insurance policy, but only for short periods and NEVER while working alone.

http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T42002A-...sim_sbs_auto_2

For this price, there is NO EXCUSE not to have jackstands.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 AM
redvertstang
2nd Gear Member

Ditto.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Not quite sure which photo you're referencing. The first photo with the car on the jack is when we're actually jacking it up to put stands under. In the other under-car photo, the two people under there (me and a friend) are laying in front of the jack stands, blocking them from camera view.

There are a lot of things we did that would have required jack stands (such as lowering the sub-frame with the jack), so trust that we did everything in the safest manner available to us.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Not quite sure which photo you're referencing. The first photo with the car on the jack is when we're actually jacking it up to put stands under. In the other under-car photo, the two people under there (me and a friend) are laying in front of the jack stands, blocking them from camera view.

There are a lot of things we did that would have required jack stands (such as lowering the sub-frame with the jack), so trust that we did everything in the safest manner available to us.
Must be that one:

With the jack stands behind you. I cant wait to get something like this (They run around $2500):

Old 12-29-2011, 05:15 AM
06whipple

Cool...didn't realize the jackstands were behind you. Saw the jack and assumed that's all that was holding the car up...sorry.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:26 AM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

Apparently the owner before me drove the **** out of it. When someone before me came to look at the car, I guess it still had wheel wells full of rubber.
Enjoyed your thread but sorry you had such a negative experience with your Mustang purchase. Your story with used mustangs has been repeated many times because buying them used can be pretty risky. Hopefully in your case the dealer made you whole on the deal.

Not sure why the Mustang attracts people that want to beat the heck out of them and then dump them on the used market. I expect that fact that they are fairly cheap to buy reduces the respect they should have. After spending time on this forum and reading about some of the crazy stuff owners do, I knew right away used would be risky. So the two I’ve owned I bought new and they both have been great cars with excellent quality.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:38 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Cool...didn't realize the jackstands were behind you. Saw the jack and assumed that's all that was holding the car up...sorry.
No problem, and it was a good point to make regardless.

8178A, I probably would be hesitant to buy used if I wasn't confident I could get something back on the road no matter what happened. We were pretty sure the engine had some trouble, but the warranty made us okay with it. That said, the debacle between Ford and Saleen always put some doubt on the whole engine warranty issue, but I held the dealer to their word. When it blew, I simply gave them the choice of never having to deal with the car again, which I knew was what they wanted.

Quick Reply: The Undead Saleen - Rebuild Started