Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advancetrac Sports Mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:51 PM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

Default Advancetrac Sports Mode

I recieved a brochure in the mail today and I was reading it and it said that Premium GT's have the advancetrac sports mode. I have no idea what this was, so I referred to my owners manual and found out how to activate it. But question is what is it? and What is it good for?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:09 PM
mikenavy
1st Gear Member

If you're at the track, and you're a novice driver, I would put it in "Sport" mode (two taps with brake on). This will allow you to slide the tail out, lay a little bit of rubber, etc. but will (try to) keep you from doing 360s and sliding off the track into tires, etc. If you are an advanced / experienced driver, I would completely disable it (brake on, push button for 5+ seconds).

If you're doing a straight-line burnout I would disable TC and leave ESC on (single tap). This serves as a safety net in case you start getting sideways and heading towards stuff you didn't want to head toward. If you're in the middle of an enormous parking lot with nothing around, I'd go ahead and turn it all the way off. TC is the part that keeps your tires from spinning; ESC is the part that tries to keep your car from pointing in a different direction than it's traveling.

With normal spirited driving, it all depends on the comfort factor of the road. If you're comfortable with your skill level and the road, I'd put it in "sport mode". If you're on Tail of the Dragon, I would probably leave it all on. There is a reason the NHTSA or NTSHA or NTASH or whatever it is has repeatedly said ESC has saved far more lives than ABS could ever hope to (even 20 years later, I still hear people going "The brake pedal started buzzing so I let off of it right before I crashed!" *sigh*).
[Quoted from Hawkeye]
Tnx hawkeye!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:14 PM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

Lol, thanks for the reply. In the manual they really didn't give a great definition.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:16 PM
def67
2nd Gear Member

Advance track = traction control, when it is on it will limmit the power to the wheels if the wheels start to spin due to loss of traction.
Your car also has stability control, stability control applies the brakes and limits power if you get to off center?, ie.. sideways, all the weight on one side,
Sports mode shuts bolth these off. However unless you have the track pack I dont think you can shut off the stabillity control just the traction control. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I've shut off my traction control to do burnouts and I did notice when I turn it back on it says stabillitrac on, but nothing about traction control, so maybe since mine is also a premium maybe they are bolth off.
As for why to shut them off, burnouts!, but also if you can drive the car to its traction limits on a track you will be faster.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM
def67
2nd Gear Member

Mike you beat me to it, maybe you can tell me if I can shut them bolth off just cause I have a GT premium or if I need the track pack, I thought you need the track pack to shut them off but could be wrong.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:21 PM
mikenavy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by def67
Mike you beat me to it, maybe you can tell me if I can shut them bolth off just cause I have a GT premium or if I need the track pack, I thought you need the track pack to shut them off but could be wrong.
Yeah it took me a while of asking to figure that out, great info to know. I like to drive in Sport Mode now unless its wet out.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM
def67
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikenavy
Yeah it took me a while of asking to figure that out, great info to know. I like to drive in Sport Mode now unless its wet out.
I always shut mine off as well, what fun is it if you cant spin the tires once and a while,
But umm, so with a premium if I push the button once it shuts bolth off?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Heat00
1st Gear Member

so without track pack... you are saying to tap once for sport mode and twice to shut off completely??
Old 04-26-2010, 08:00 PM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

You are stopped, hold the brakes, and then hold the TC button for about 6-7 seconds until the light comes on. That shuts everything off.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:28 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikenavy
[Quoted from Hawkeye]
Tnx hawkeye!
Boy, you know, I thought that post looked familiar, and about halfway through it, it dawned on me that that's what I typed! I was gonna be pissed 'til I saw the bottom lol. Haha I'm surprised it took me that long to figure it out.

Anyway yeah, you can't completely disable it unless you're stopped, have your foot on the brake, and hold the button down for 5+ seconds.

If you tap it once, you disable TC, and ESC stays fully on.

If you tap it twice, you put both TC and ESC in "sport mode", which relaxes its parameters quite a bit.

If you tap it three times, you're just playing with it.

Quick Reply: Advancetrac Sports Mode