Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford Fosgate Saleen Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:13 AM
Blue GT Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Rockford Fosgate Saleen Subwoofer

Does anyone have any experience with the Rockford Fosgate subwoofer made for the Saleen Mustang? I have the Shaker 500 on my '06 GT and do not plan on switching it out.This sub is plug and play and install appears to be a breeze. Would this be a worthwhile mod?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:35 AM
joshsund
1st Gear Member

I picked it up on clearance for $500, installation was straightforward and easy and it was real nice that it hardly took up any trunk space-could still fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk. But the down side is it hardly put out anymore bass than the factory shaker 500, I was very close to looking into how to gut out the enclosure and put in a different sub and external amp. But I ended up selling that mustang and bough a used one where the previous owner already put subs in the back.

Overall I didn't think it was worth it as a plug n play add on but if you found a way to get more power to it through an external amp it was a nice enclosure.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:54 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Maybe a link to said product to evaluate it??
I just dont think the sub puts out any more
bass than the 500. Its WAY overpriced for what it does.
You are paying for the SALEEN name, thats all.
Plus the 500 does not have the jacks for the sub, only the 1000.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Blue GT Mustang
2nd Gear Member

I had found this on EBAY as brand new, the seller had two different listings one for a buy it now for $475.00 or best offer and another for a 7 day auction with a starting price of $349.00 I lost the auction when the bidding got up to $380.00 After a few emails back and forth he mentioned that he had a whole pallet full of them and he agreed to sell me one for $350.00 + shipping. I guess next week I will find out for myself how good or bad this sub is.

Here is the link on Rockford Fosgate's site.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/oem/SaleenMustang.asp

In the last few days since I made the original post, I called Saleen and was told they discontinued using them (I thought possibly because of the new owners) and after calling Rockford Fosgate found out they quit making them even though they are still listed as a current product. The Saleen rep told me they listed at $899.00 and I remember around a year or so ago Classic Design Concepts sold them for around $500.00 and now they have discontinued sales after a call to them.

After I receive this and get it installed hopefully next weekend I will add more to let you know if I like it or not.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:07 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Please keep us updated as I was looking at that one as well. Looks to be a good fit.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Blue GT Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Murphy's Law strikes again. The Fed-Ex driver arrived a few minutes ago with what I thought would be my sub. After anticipating installing it this afternoon, I got the package open and they have sent me the one for the F-150 instead of the one for my Mustang. After collecting my thoughts I found the phone number for the supplier and called them. The lady looked up my order and said that is the one I ordered, so I told her to scroll down a few previous emails to the EBAY link I had provided. She finally admitted they sent the wrong part and would send out the correct item this afternoon along with a call tag to pick up the wrong one. Now I'm wondering if it will arrive by the weekend so I can finally get it installed and enjoy it. Somehow I kind of doubt it.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Blue GT Mustang
2nd Gear Member

The correct sub arrived Friday afternoon and I was planning on installing it yesterday, but here in Indiana we had temps in the 40's and 25 mph winds almost all day. I knew it would be preferable to work outside as my spare garage space is very limited, so spent yesterday searching this forum for tips about removing the back seat and the interior panels that would have to come out. This afternoon I got it installed and should have taken less than an hour but had trouble with the supplied cap screw that mounts the upper bracket into an existing body hole. Once I solved this issue and putting all the trim back on I guess it was around 90 minutes. To me it was just what I wanted as it is not overpowering the rest of the Shaker 500 system and doesn't make the car sound like a ghetto blaster. I would recommend to anyone for an easy mod and looking to enhance your existing sound system.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joshsund
I picked it up on clearance for $500, installation was straightforward and easy and it was real nice that it hardly took up any trunk space-could still fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk. But the down side is it hardly put out anymore bass than the factory shaker 500, I was very close to looking into how to gut out the enclosure and put in a different sub and external amp. But I ended up selling that mustang and bough a used one where the previous owner already put subs in the back.

Overall I didn't think it was worth it as a plug n play add on but if you found a way to get more power to it through an external amp it was a nice enclosure.
Something isn't right, the 05 i had had the shaker 1000 in it and my new 10 has the shaker 500, there is simply a world of difference between the two systems and the bass from the 05 was 10 times better than my 10. Did the sub come with an amp? i am thinking your 500 head unit lacks the power needed to get the performance out of the sub it was meant to have. There were two amps under the sub on my 05, That i think were a pair of 500W units. If you don;t have those, that is the reason you aren't seeing an improvement in bass.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Blue GT Mustang
2nd Gear Member

There are two amps for the Shaker 500 above the drivers kick panel. The Rockford Fosgate sub plugs into the lower one with a T harness. I think the amps for the Shaker 1000 are in the sub enclosure itself. The Rockford Fosgate unit has a 150 watt amp built in the enclosure, so it should be 650W total.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:20 PM
starbai
3rd Gear Member

Does anyone know if this same setup from the 05-09 will fit on a 2010+ (the enclosure especially)?