Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Sound???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 02:15 AM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

Default Whining Sound???

Ok here is some background info first. About a month ago I was cut off and while swerving to keep the SOB from hitting my right front fender, I put the left rear wheel into a curb, destroying the wheel, and bending a caliper bracket, panhard bar, and left rear axle. Well Ford replaced the wheel, caliper bracket, axle, and axle housing. I got the car back a couple of weeks ago, and it has been running great. I have put close to 1000 miles on it in the past two weeks.

Today I was driving home from Orlando, about 60 miles away, and on the highway the radio station cut out for a second and I not a loud whining sound which sounded like it was coming from the rear end. I was cruising on I-95 at about 80-85 mph. I slowed down to 60... noise still there. I sped back up to 70... noise still there. I got off at my exit, and came to stop at the stop light, noise was gone. I noticed it going away as I slowed down. I know it is not the engine. It is a high pitched sound that seems to start when you hit 20-25 mph. Does anyone have any ideas or guesses what it might be?The car runs fine, but it annoys me now since I know it is there, even though with the windows down you can't hear it, and with the radio on you can't hear it. I just don't want to keep driving it and screw something up. I was going to call Ford to take it in, but I won't be able to get it in until the afternoon, and have to be in Orlando tomorrow morning. I also need the car for a cross state road trip for a wedding this weekend. I was thinking it my just be low on rear diff. fluid. Could this be a cause?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:52 AM
Zeio
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Whining Sound???

I have a similar whine sound when I am between 30-60mph upon acceleration and deceleration. I've talked to a lot of people and over a few forums have narrowed it down to gear whine in the rear axle. I almost don't hear it anymore, but I plan on having my gears changed out to 4:10s or 3.73s and imagine that installing new gears will fix the issue. I don't think there is any damage that can happen because of the whine though, but I'm no expert.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:55 AM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

Someone on another forum suggested my wheel bearings maybe causing it. I just noticed it today, and I may be blowing it out of proportion but just wanted some clarity.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:13 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Zeio

I have a similar whine sound when I am between 30-60mph upon acceleration and deceleration. I've talked to a lot of people and over a few forums have narrowed it down to gear whine in the rear axle. I almost don't hear it anymore, but I plan on having my gears changed out to 4:10s or 3.73s and imagine that installing new gears will fix the issue. I don't think there is any damage that can happen because of the whine though, but I'm no expert.

What was the build date of your car and do you have a manual transmission?

Reason I ask is because if your build date was before Jan 15, 2005 you might be describing a problem that there is a TSB out on. TSB 05-8-8
Old 08-03-2005, 10:01 AM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

It was built beginning of May. I do have a manual trans though.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:03 AM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

Hawgman I just looked up the TSBs and saw # 05-7-3, Axle whine for vehicles built through 11/15/04. I am going to call Ford now and see if I can get it in today.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:13 AM
JWB

When I experience a loud whining sound....I simply drop her off at the mall, and it goes away
Old 08-03-2005, 12:02 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: biged3

It was built beginning of May. I do have a manual trans though.
Well actually I was talking to Zieo on the noise his car was making.

I don't think they (Ford) are going to corolate the 05-7-3 TSB to the noise yours is making because you 6 months out of range on your build date. But ya never know unless you ask.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:34 PM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JWB

When I experience a loud whining sound....I simply drop her off at the mall, and it goes away
Yeah I do the same thing... I wish it was an easy fix this time.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:42 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

I think that it is rear axle whine as indicated in the TSB. I don't have this issue, but I would get them to fix it right away

Quick Reply: Whining Sound???