Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with clutch rattle

Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Default help with clutch rattle

I'm getting a sound when i let the clutch out while applying a small amount of throttle. It only happens when applying gas while the clutch is engaged or while starting to disengage. Its most apparent when starting out from a stop in first gear. It sounds like a light metallic rattle. I was reading other threads where someone claimed this could be detonation occurring. Anyone know what this could be, its kind of annoying. If its detonation, how would I know? I have made some wot runs using the predator tuner to datalog, I just don't know what numbers to look at.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Stock or aftermarket?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 AM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

stock
Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

From your description, it doesn't sound like detonation. There are, however, a number of rattles (like metallic grinding for an instant as you pass thru certain RPM bands) related to exhaust system harmonics. Retorque your axleback clamps and check the heat shields for starters. It could also be related to the seperator plate covered under one of the TSB's.

My rattle was from the axleback clamps. While cold, I could hold engine speed at about 1800 RPM and the rattle would be continuous until the system heated up and expanded.

Last edited by Nuke; 05-12-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:39 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Well I pulled over and put it in neutral and put the clutch in a few times, it made a distinct clicking sound when disengaging it. The clicking/rattling happens as I'm letting it out while applying gas.... weird
Old 05-12-2010, 09:40 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

I say normal. I definitely get the "clicking" and the chattering. I took it in a long time ago and one of the Ford techs said it had something to do with a lightweight shield or something on the clutch assembly (sorry I can't remember the details).
Old 05-12-2010, 09:50 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

ya I figured it might just be normal, cant hurt to ask however. Its just kind of annoying.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:18 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Try taking off in 2nd. It sounds like "gear rattle". Thats what they put those overweight dual-mass clutches in some cars to quiet. If you took off in 2nd in my 2007 without lots of throttle or clutch slipping you would usually get gear rattle. If you took off in 2nd and just almost stalled it you would get detonation for a short instance until it made it back up to idle rpm. Distinctly different sounds. If you can replicate both of those you will be able to tell the difference after one instance of each.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 AM
2008MustangGT
1st Gear Member

Default Clutch rattle 08 GT

Hey, I'm bringing this thread back to life in the hopes of getting some additional input!

I purchased a stock low mileage 08 GT 5spd several months ago. I have searched numerous threads on this forum and found a lot of helpful information (read: thanks!).

Now to the point of my post... I have the EXACT same issue as the originial poster did. This is the only thread that I have seen to have these exact symptoms. Faint metallic rattle when engaging the clutch in 1st or reverse from stand-still. It seems to be coming from the engine compartment (not from the rear mufflers, hangers, etc.) It also does not seem to have the same charcteristics of TSB 08-3-4.

It is not very easy for me to drop my car at a dealer, which is why I'm trying to troubleshoot this myself.

The noise is not quite loud enough to show up in a video, or else I would. I'd like to keep this car for a long time and this noise can be quite irritating.

Also, I can prevent this noise from happening by giving it excessive throttle upon engaging the clutch (read: 2,000 rpms). Anything below that, and it makes the noise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I've experienced this issue off and on for over 2 years now. Typically, I hear the chattering under my gear shifter when I shift into neutral and come to a stop. When I first heard it, it freaked me out, now it's just an annoying sound.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help with clutch rattle