Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Intake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:31 PM
JCLBCA

Question K&N Intake Problem

Hello, I recently installed a K&N cold air intake on my 2005 Mustang GT, and now I'm getting the Check Engine Light on and the car's shut off on me twice today. I followed the instruction carefully, so I don't know what I could have missed. Any ideas on what is causing this?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:35 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Make sure the filter didn't fall off the tube. Could possibly be making the car run lean, is your car running the stock tune?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:40 PM
JCLBCA

Yes it's stock, this is the first upgrade I've done to it. By filter, do you mean the carbon filter from the stock intake?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:48 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCLBCA
Yes it's stock, this is the first upgrade I've done to it. By filter, do you mean the carbon filter from the stock intake?
I was talking about the actual air filter connected at the end of the tube. I had a K&N CAI and it had fallen off once.

You can take out the carbon trap, its just there to catch unburnt fuel fumes. The K&N CAI is suppose to be fine without a tune, but it could still be possible that it is supplying too much air and you are running a little lean.

You should look into getting a tuner and an email tune from one of the many vendors, it will give you a very nice power increase.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:07 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I drove mine for about a year without a tune. Never had any problems, so I have to assume something is wrong with yours. Is the MAF dirty? Did you touch it when you installed it? Is the connector on tight? Double check all these things but it should be fine. However, once you get a tune for your car you'll wish you had done it sooner. It makes such a difference.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Even those worthless CAI's that don't require a tune can still through a lean code. Do it right and get a tune for it. Better yet, do it MORE right and get rid of the K&N for a tune-required CAI. You'll find about 5 million threads on this very subject if you try the search.

Stand alone CAI = approx 3-6 RWHP
good CAI & good tune = 20-25 or more RWHP
Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 PM
JCLBCA

Yeah, I'm going to double check everything. One of my friends just suggested it might be the MAF too. Was running fine this morning though...Well thanks for the advice/suggestions.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:08 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

tune.. tune.. tune.. You'd wish you done it sooner.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:33 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Even those worthless CAI's that don't require a tune
I wouldn't call them worthless, I think that's a little harsh, money spent on a different intake is money that could be spent better somewhere else first.

I did run a 12.87 @ just under 107 mph with just the K&N CAI and 93 email tune on stock tires ( had at least 25 passes in the 12s with that setup). Seat time can more than make up for the few horses you are giving up compared to one of the more serious intakes.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:13 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Don't be afraid to get a tune. DO your research, understand what a tune is all about and how/what it will do..then male a decision.

Quick Reply: K&N Intake Problem