Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a supercharger REALLY worth all the money?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:42 PM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

Cars are a hobby. You can spend money on a hobby or on investments.

A supercharger is just a part of the hobby. I've had four and won't ever go blower again. All turbocharger from here on out.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:05 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

I'm surprised i didn;t see anyone mention the downsides of a used blower. You never know what some ****** might have done on a used blower. I have a different outlook on life than a lot of people i guess. i went into college much like a lot of people with eh school telling me i would make 60K right after graduation and i had big plans in life. the reality of it was that I worked in the field for 12 years and barely broke the 40K mark. i made a career change thankfully to something that was a hobby and parlayed that into much, much more than I made in the medical field. I spend more on my car each month than I brought home right out of college. the long and short of it is that schools lie. they are a business, they need your tuition, they only give you the upside of how much you could make without telling you that most will never see that much.

that said, i for one think that saving every penny you make is for the birds. I'm not saying blow everything you have and live paycheck to pay check by any means. My brother in law is a perfect example. He lives like he is broke, but brinks home very good money. They put everything they make into savings and live like they have nothing. What;s the point of that? Why work hard if you can;t enjoy the money and live life? Another example is my great grandmother. She lived in a tiny house, in a bad neighborhood, and wouldn't pay for a cab. She walked to the beauty school to get her hair down to save $20 per month on haircuts and taxi fees. She was miserable, always complained and died at 90 with nearly a million in the bank that her kids squandered in 6 months. What was the point? all that hard work and nothing to show for it but bitterness and resentment over a ahrd life. I say do what makes you happy. Hobbies rarely make sense to those who don't share your passion for something. If the blower makes you happy, you want it, and buying it won't leave you destitute and on the street (or ******* waiters for food money lol) buy the damn thing. Dropping $4k on a speed part will never make financial sense today or 10 years down the road.

edit: And for the record what other people think you should do means jack ****. Make up your own mind on your own terms and you will never be disappointed. Let others influence your decision and choose what other people think is best and you will regret it each time you start that car. A tune, gears, and bolt ons will never give you the kick in teh pants you get form a blower and in the long run bolt ons will cost you the same amount. Get a reputable blower, stick with teh canned tune, and you shoudl have little to fear from a blower as far as killing the motor short of some sort of unforseen catastrophic failure. A blower doest not mean you engien is living on borrowed time. If a blower woudl kille the engien we woudlnt have the roush kits with a warranty, or the saleen cars, or the GT500. It's all in the tune and maintenance.

Last edited by ShaneM; 05-15-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:31 PM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

^ Good point. I had a blower I sold used and the buyer had issues with it, none of which I had experienced while i owned it. So it became heresay and made me look bad over something I had no control over. New is the only way.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:39 PM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

you get what you pay for remember that personally i would only buy new

as for is it worth the money i used to not be a big power guy i prefered handling more and for the most part i still prefer it to straight line punch but if you just go out and play in a FI car you will see the light of the lord our god torque

mine came in the wolf in sheeps clothing of a twin turbo gnx that gave me 14 face lift procedures in one ride

as ricky bobby once said I WANNA GO FAST
Old 05-15-2010, 10:40 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iDance
^ Good point. I had a blower I sold used and the buyer had issues with it, none of which I had experienced while i owned it. So it became heresay and made me look bad over something I had no control over. New is the only way.
Is that actually your car, or is that a render? i can't tell, either way it looks sweet.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:14 PM
swat 79
2nd Gear Member

Superchargers are worth it, but if i were you, I would hold off simply because of how high the mileage is.

Good for you tho that you got your **** together, I would just stick to bolt ons for now, add a little bit more here or there to scratch the itch, but otherwise save that money for a nice downpayment on your next vehicle.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:52 AM
twilson1918
2nd Gear Member

im kind of in the same situation as you ... im 19 didnt go to college just wasnt for me i work at fort wayne metals research products corp (Leaders in medical grade wire) and have worked my way up to now working production and i made a little over 52000 last year.... two years after high school and im still not gona put a blower on. couldnt imagine to have my daily driven including snow stang with a blower or a blower and a blown engine.. i still live at home and want to move out asap i figure detroit rocker cams are gona be the best option for me.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:30 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

buying used is definitely a risk. when I bought my supercharger kit for my last car the blower seized on me after a couple of months. turns out the previous owner messed it up and I'm sure that's why I got the kit so cheap. even after $1,000 rebuild I still came out ahead so I couldn't complain too much, still sucked though.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:23 PM
bynumj
1st Gear Member

I say pay off the car first. After you own it, mod it.

Last edited by bynumj; 05-16-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:40 PM
sinister99GT
2nd Gear Member

i would pay off the car before i chance blowing it up. it would suck every time you had to make that payment.as far as milage, i put mine on with 105,000 miles on it 110,000 plus now with no trouble.i love my kenne bell,i bought mine new, i dont think i would buy one used. there are alot of parts in the kenne bell kit i would be worried that i would be missing some stuff.there are alot of diff options of FI you should look at and pick the one best for you but i would pay the car off first, by then you may change your mind.you might like the new ones and take the 5g's and trade your car in on a new one.