Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust- who's gone loud and come back to quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 PM
yzf29
1st Gear Member

Default exhaust- who's gone loud and come back to quiet?

I have to admit- I have 3 sets of pipes, 2 of which hang on the rafters at any given time. Got the SLP Loudmouth (Roush equivilant) and the Borla/ FRPP stingers, and the OEM Bullitt exhaust: and I have re-fit the OEM exhaust for the second time.

Reasons being, - I can hear the radio, I can talk on the phone if need be, and the car feels "tighter"- not everything "banging and snorting"

I guess I am officially old- but I still have the loud and louder exhaust waiting in the rafters, so we shall see how long I will continue to be "old"....

How about you?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 PM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

personally i am broke but the louder the better it seems for me. Yes it seems nice to talk on the phone in case u get lonely or something. However no one should be talking on the phone while they drive especially in the mustang. You're completely missing out on the excitement it is to drive a muscle car. When i get money i must get louder!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:49 PM
yzf29
1st Gear Member

OK- Edit- I only talk on the cell phone when Mom calls, and I am stuck in traffic and my shakker 1000 is on the fritz- NEVER any other time (!)
Old 05-14-2010, 11:11 PM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

Ok got-ya. lol np
Old 05-14-2010, 11:39 PM
xXThat GuyXx

I too am pretty broke, looking to get a louder exhaust system, not sure what to get yet though
Old 05-15-2010, 12:12 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Louder doesn't always equal better. I ran SLP LM with prochamber and hi-flows. This set-up I thought sounded good until I added 12" resonators and that set-up sounded even better. I then replaced the prochamber w/ a catted x and that set-up has a nice tone. I also have MAC axlebacks so I can run a catted X, resonators and MACs. So I have went from loud to a little quieter.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:36 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
Louder doesn't always equal better.
QFT.

I like my exhaust loud personally, but I also like my car being noticed (except by cops). However, if it sounded like crap I wouldn't even bother just for the sake of volume. To me it's like a balancing act between volume and sound. My AT is very bassy, so you can hear my car coming from pretty far away. I think that deep bass tone doesn't quite make it sound traditional as far as Mustangs go (more importy if anything). Most classic Mustangs have more of a trebble and reverberative quality. There are no wrong or rights, and it all depends on what you're going for, but I think if you're self-conscious as I am you really have to balance your specific sound with your volume and make sure it sounds good while being loud.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Nice and deep here loud for the sake of loud no thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

ran flowmasters & magnapacks in the past...just can't do it anymore.

I love how my Bullitt only gets loud when I floor it...but even then it's only slightly loud. I'm thinking about grabbing the GT500KR mufflers for a little extra oomph. They should go nicely with the headers I'll be installing.

i want a tiny bit more noise...but nothing in your face. I've also found that the extra noise is a good way to get pulled over.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:03 AM
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

the loudness of my setup doesnt bother me, but the drone sure does. seems i'll have to get a quieter setup to be drone free with no trumpeting. Probably gonna put my stock mufflers back on and get some tips welded if i like it. that or magnaflow axlebacks.

Quick Reply: exhaust- who's gone loud and come back to quiet?