Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 06:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Loud clicking noise when turning off heater/AC

Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 AM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

WELL...I can say one thing, the TWO that can be accessed through the glove box is easy enough, but the ONE that's behind the speedometer, is NOT easy! If someone could post some information on how to get to that one, I would appreciate it. I ended up just snapping the old one off, then I could remove the upper screw, and I was able to put the new one in, but it's only held on by the lower screw for now. That may work, but I would not be surprised for it to start making rattle noises, or break off at some point either.

Last edited by gatkins94; 05-09-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 AM
Phaethon

New here, glad I found the thread as I'm having same problem. My question is, mine is still under warranty, the only mods I have done in the engine so far is a Steeda CAI and a Tuner, if I took it to Ford for them to fix, would they have a reason to access the ECU for this and find I flash tuned it?
Old 05-12-2014, 11:36 AM
cthuener

Default problem solved

2009 GT/CS My clicking noise started the day before we left Charlotte. It woried me as it sounded like a Starter problem. after living with for a couple of days I didn't see any other problems except the clicking noise. I suffered with it until I got home. After mush searching I found the defrost door actuator was making the noise. This unit is located between the glove box and the radio stack on the heater box way up near the top. To get to this unit you need to lower the glove box( I removed it). I replaced the bad actuator. The noise is gone so far. It takes a 1/4 inch drive 8 mm socket to get the actuator out. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 AM
shadango mustang

Originally Posted by cthuener
2009 GT/CS My clicking noise started the day before we left Charlotte. It woried me as it sounded like a Starter problem. after living with for a couple of days I didn't see any other problems except the clicking noise. I suffered with it until I got home. After mush searching I found the defrost door actuator was making the noise. This unit is located between the glove box and the radio stack on the heater box way up near the top. To get to this unit you need to lower the glove box( I removed it). I replaced the bad actuator. The noise is gone so far. It takes a 1/4 inch drive 8 mm socket to get the actuator out. Good luck.
We just started having this noise yesterday.

Of course our warranty ran out 6 days ago.

It ONLY happens when starting the car or when switching from defrost/floor vents to the panel "face" vents.

Sounds like it is coming from way up, like yours.

But looking online at the factory service manual, there are three different motors----one down low, one in the middle which requires the blower motor to come out, and the defrost door motor requires removing the air bag module. Did you remove yours to get at it or was that un necessary?

The part seems cheap enough, and I am decent at spinning a wrench.....just would like to avoid tinkering with the airbag. But seems like that is how you access it?

Do you buy chance have pictures?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:37 AM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

do a search and you will find the diagrams and part numbers. it was the lower one for me and cost me $25 and 10 minutes. put your finger on it when it clicks to make sure that is the faulty one.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:47 PM
cthuener

I think from your description that you have the same problem that I had. One of the door actuators stripped a tooth off a gear. Lower you Glove box and see if you can identify the actuator that is giving you the problem. They look like a 2' square about 1/2 thick on the side of the heater box with a electric connector and 2 screws holding it in place. Mine had three on the passenger side and one way above the accelerator pedal.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:52 PM
cthuener

Mine had 3 on the passenger side and one up high on the drivers side. the one I replaced was up near the radio stack. From what I saw lowering the Glovebox or removing it was the only thing to disassemble. They can be hard to get.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:10 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

I cant believe that this seems to be such a common problem, but Ford hasn't issued a recall on this BS.

This is the third thread (my thread included) in the past few weeks that has been about this issue.

My car is a 6600 mile garage queen, and has never spent a night outside. It's absurd that the car should be breaking so soon. NOT happy.

Stay classy, Ford.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:31 AM
shadango mustang

Thanks for the replies all -- I found out which one it was (the lower one - "floor door actuator") and decided to try to get it out and found it was doable.....so I pulled it out. Then went to rock auto to find a part.

They do not list the part number on the actual part (AR33-19E616BB) but from what I can tell the one they have listed interchanges fine....a Dorman 604262 Should know in a few days when it arrives. $14 shipped.

Versus the $45 the dealer wanted, plus $114 to install plus a $90 diagnostic charge plus taxes and shop supply charge. What a ripoff.

The car has only 32k miles and is out of warranty -- very disappointed that we are already having issues, but praying nothing bigger pops up. In comparison, our 06 Hyundai Sonata had a 10 yr/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and we never needed it. At 126,000 miles we are just now starting to need work on stuff, which in understandable.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:34 AM
shadango mustang

Originally Posted by 65Raven65
I cant believe that this seems to be such a common problem, but Ford hasn't issued a recall on this BS.
I talked to two dealers -- and one of them said "We havent had anyone have this problem in a Mustang before."

Yeah, uhuh.

All one has to do is google the problem and it is EVERYWHERE.

I was even more disappointed to learn that the problem goes back years.

Why not just fix it right already?

Praying that since the Mustamg is a "flagship" of the Ford name, it will have fewer problems than others and that this is it for a long time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud clicking noise when turning off heater/AC