Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 06:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Loud clicking noise when turning off heater/AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 03:23 AM
SamTheMan

Default Loud clicking noise when turning off heater/AC

On my 2005 Mustang GT, I noticed that nearly every time I turn the right Heater/AC **** (vent choice ****) from windshield, windshield/foot, or foot (so basically from right) to off, I get 4-5 very loud, fast clicking noises. There is no other problem with the car that I can feel or see and I cannot duplicate the sound every single time. But I would say it happens about 75% if the time.

If this is any help, it is possible the sounds started after installing an aftermarket head unit in the car (AVIC D3). I'm not positive it was due to the head unit, it just seems to be around the same time.

I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if there is any way to fix this.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:56 AM
SteveB_RET
1st Gear Member

Got a question for you.... Did the head unit have NAVI and did it come with a magnetic antenna that u stuck to the metal frame under the dash????? What you are hearing is a Mode Door Actuator and mine started making noise after installing my new Head unit also... It does not do it all of the time but I stuck the NAVI antenna under the dash and I am beginning to think that I stuck it close to an actuator and the magnetized antenna is causing the problem........
Old 05-17-2010, 12:09 AM
SamTheMan

Well it did come with navigation, but I routed the antenna to the back of the car. I'm only an amateur with cars and I have no idea what a actuator is, but what else could be cause it to make this noise? It is annoying to hear this noise every time I defrost the front windshield...
Old 05-17-2010, 01:47 AM
n406c

My car had the same problem but only when the key cycled. The noise is from a damaged HVAC actuator. Had 34k miles on it so it was covered by ford warranty.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:39 AM
SteveB_RET
1st Gear Member

SamTheMan, when you turn the **** from window defrost to floor or to the dash vents, vent doors open and close electronically. There are several inside the dash. One of them is making the noise.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

^^^^cORRECT
Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 AM
SamTheMan

I appreciate all the help guys. I guess I'm gonna have to take it to the dealership.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Had the same problem fixed at dealership recently. It was one of the blend doors.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 AM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

Blend door actuator. I wish one of you guys would actually get the PART NUMBER when you get it replaced. I think there are 2 under the dash. One near the glove box, and one near the center of the dash....I'm guessing all the issues are with the center one, and that's the one that is messed up on mine, I just want to be able to go to the dealership with a part number.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 AM
n406c

Part Number
5F9Z-19E616-EA

Here you Go =)

Quick Reply: Loud clicking noise when turning off heater/AC