Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push Button Start Installed!

Old 05-16-2010, 08:03 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
What about steering column locks, anti-theft issues, etc...
That's why this is such a tricky install..... I had to drive almost 4 hours from my house to the only shop I could find who had experience doing this. Nobody else would touch it. The kit I bought came with about 7 different wiring harnesses. The place I got mine from sent me harnesses that they made specific for my car.

One option is to drill the steering column lock and remove the pin, but that isn't really necessary. What my guy did was "cut" one of my keys and left the end of it in the ignition and then capped it so you can't access it. That was only to get rid of the steering column lock.

The way my system works is that when you walk away from the vehicle and it no longer senses the key fob, it completely cuts all power to your ignition/start button system. The ONLY way to start the vehicle is if you have the key fob on you. When you get near the vehicle it activates power to the system, then you can get in and just hit the start button and it starts. Again, more detailed info is in my thread. I'm not trying to hijack here.....
Old 05-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

thanks Dave. I rented a 2007 Altima once upon a time and fell in love with their setup. Wasn't aware you could do anything similar in these.

and now we return you to the OP's original thread
Old 05-16-2010, 11:42 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
yeah, they look neat, but makes no sense what-so-ever. If I have to turn the key to the run position before pushing a "neat" button, why do I need the button?
Wurd.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

The reason it uses the key still is so that no one can just hop in your car, press the button and drive off. Its more of a show mod, but its so awesome to press and it looks totally stock on the dash. I love it
Old 05-17-2010, 01:49 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Push button start is absolutely pointless unless it works with a proximity key.

I think the other posters push-button system where they CUT OFF THE HEAD OF An IGNITION KEY AND LEAVE IT IN THE IGNITION (but cap it) is freaking insane.

No wonder he could only find one shop to touch it. That is just plain crazy and I would never do that myself.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:02 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zkiller
Push button start is absolutely pointless unless it works with a proximity key.

I think the other posters push-button system where they CUT OFF THE HEAD OF An IGNITION KEY AND LEAVE IT IN THE IGNITION (but cap it) is freaking insane.

No wonder he could only find one shop to touch it. That is just plain crazy and I would never do that myself.
There's actually nothing insane about cutting the key. All that does is disable the steering wheel lock. The other option there is drilling the locking mechanism. T

he shops I called didn't have issues with that part of it, it's just such a complex install none of them had experience doing it. It's basically taking a car that's not set up for the system and turning it into a car that is set up for the system; the system that lots of cars come with now. It's a very complex install and takes about 4-5 hours if they know EXACTLY what they're doing. If they've never done it before, it would end up taking a full day to two days, and even then there would be guess-work involved.

Leaving a "cut" key in the ignition doesn't do anything other than disable the steering wheel lock. It does absolutely nothing for the actual ignition system/functions. All of that is completely rewired using the 7 wiring harnesses that came with the unit.

Without the key fob you can't do anything. Without the key fob, even with the cut key in the ignition, you're not going anywhere because the system will have ZERO power going to it.

Make sense?

Last edited by discodave; 05-17-2010 at 02:20 PM.