Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very interesting, eye-opening thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Default Very interesting, eye-opening thread

Hopefully there isn't a thread regarding this but if there is, sorry for the post. Stumbled across this thread and forum researching. Can't believe the firestorm that it has created. I have to say though, is this how Ford/Shelby/etc. REALLY treat their customers? Especially after paying for such a "high-end" car?

http://www.spokentorque.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1517
Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Something this OP doesn't talk about is how Shelby Automobiles, Inc. works with the customer in regards to exclusivity. SAI wants the damaged parts back, not for their reuse, but to prevent fraudulent activities. Basically, they are trying to keep all the Shelbys out there genuine. For instance, what if a fraudulent owner told SAI he was in a wreck and needed a new hood and bumper. If SAI didn't require proof of the damage, and/or the parts back, then the owner could sell the Shelby parts to the highest bidder.

In regards to the customer paying to ship it back, I believe it's actually added into the total repair cost- which is one of the reasons it's so high. However, do you really know how much it costs to ship a hood these days.

Finally, the OP fails to understand just how ridiculous insurance companies act. They often refuse to pay high prices for unique pieces, such as the KR hood, because it severely cuts into the bottom line. They would compare a stock GT500 hood to the KR hood and not understand the price difference.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:56 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

It's Shelby mostly actually.
The stripes are Ford but ridiculously expensive if you buy the whole kit.
About $3000 I believe. I can paint those for a customer for cheaper, lol.

The hood is the real scam though.
Insurance Cies have learned about the KR...
They kinda re-adjust their rates for that car, lol.

Ford are in bed with some of the nastier lawyers this Country can produce and they will hunt down any businesses they can find that uses the word Mustang as part of their company name.
Enter Mustang Tuning^^^^^^, that is now American Muscle.
This ain't right.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:29 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

kinda old news. Shelby tried to screw that guy over royally. and did.

it wasn't until the whole deal got leaked to a few reputable places that Shelby "lowered" the price somewhat. Even then, they failed to live up to their word.

You can't even discuss this over at SAI without getting a permanent ban. And Shelby is still being sued over those hoods by the company that makes them & the Night Rider hoods.

Shelby was a great company. But we are seeing the dynasty crumble. I still want a GT500 though
Old 05-27-2010, 05:42 AM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

that's why I was staying away from German cars.......to pricey to maintain and if something happenes fix, but the Shelby pricing is no better. You're just paying for the name. I remember I wanted tu but a Bullit shift **** from Ford, and it was............$80....just for a ****......hmmmmm makes me re thing the German cost thing, at least they can have and import cost excuse, whats Fors explanation for such high mark ups??????????
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Tylus

...Shelby was a great company. But we are seeing the dynasty crumble...
The old man can't run the show anymore, that's why.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

That's what I figured. I mean those prices are astronomical. Not even European cars touch on those prices. It's amazing how much gouging went on.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

three is one of those KR500 at a dealer by my house..its a 2009 and they want 72,000 for it...The way the hood pins work is kinda cool..Overall I think that hood is ugly. The regular GT500 hood I think looks nicer
Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 AM
EscapedGreg
1st Gear Member

That is a realy old story if I remember right that's when they were first coming out with those cars. I worked at a ford dealer one time and we had a regular Shelby GT come into the body shop and we had to send the bad pieces back before they would release the new parts to fix it.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
The old man can't run the show anymore, that's why.
The old man has had ZERO input into that product line at all, for like, years. I tired of hearing references to the guy years ago. Sure, he's got a great past in the industry but nothing right now, except for signing dashboards. (Tip for Shelby owners, if you want a unique car, wipe the signature off your dash).

This thread subject is age old but as it's reopened the wound let me say that Shelby have acted ruthlessly in the whole affair.
Apart from the hideous and totally unnecessary price gouging, the idea that you have to send your old parts back, at your own expense, merely to protect their interests is utterly indefensible by any measure.

Anybody who buys one of these rides after reading about this debacle is a **** and well deserving of having his line-of-credit butt-raped.

Quick Reply: Very interesting, eye-opening thread