Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alot more noise after a short-throw installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Default Alot more noise after a short-throw installed

I'm hoping someone out there in Stangland can offer something here. Since installing a Roush short-throw shifter, I can hear alot more cabin noise, mostly coming up from the shifter itself, in fact I can change the noise somewhat by moving my hand around on the ****. It's mostly what I've come to find out is called "gear rollover noise."

The mod only replaced the shifter body and the vertical arm, allowing me to retain the stock ****, so not much changed. It's a really great shifter other than the increased noise.

This one:
http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1177

I already asked my guys if they forgot to replace some insulation or something, but they said everything was put back. A few people I've spoken to mention that the new assembly is not cushioned as well, but can that really contribute that much? What's actually causing this??

I've heard about the benefits of Dynamat, and may try it out if there is nothing else. Though I'm not sure just how much sound will be dampened, or even how to place it inside the console so it will dampen the sound without hindering the shifting (which is already a little harder with the shorter throw).

Any advice would really help, as alot of you dudes know a helluva lot more about this stuff than I do. Thanks so much.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

Aftermarket shifters use polyurethene and/or brass bushings. This will lead to an increase in noise, vibration, an harshness (NVH). However it eliminates the "sloppy" feel of the stock shifter.

The factory shifter will be much quieter, but due to the stock rubber bushings which insulate noise better, it will have more play. You'll get used to the increased noise of the aftermarket shifter over time. Cold weather tends to make the aftermarket shifter a little noisier as well.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

I have the same shifter with the billet arm. Extra noise is the name of the game when you do these shifters with firmer bushings. I did reduce it somewhat with dynamat though. I used the speaker kit they sell at autozones and such. Lay it out and use a razor to cut an X into one of the sheets after its installed. The resulting triangle shapes get folded down into the tranny tunnel and pressed on the underside. This reduced noise a good bit. But if you wanna go another notch find something you can replace the stock sound deadening slab with. Maybe some audio install stuff.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

The factory bushings are better imo
Old 06-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
The factory bushings are better imo
Better for less noise, but certainly not better from a performance standpoint.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xcelsius
I did reduce it somewhat with dynamat though. I used the speaker kit they sell at autozones and such. Lay it out and use a razor to cut an X into one of the sheets after its installed. The resulting triangle shapes get folded down into the tranny tunnel and pressed on the underside. This reduced noise a good bit. But if you wanna go another notch find something you can replace the stock sound deadening slab with. Maybe some audio install stuff.
So you laid one sheet down under the console, under the rubber grommet?

Also, what is the sound deadening slab, are we talking about the entire area directly below the removable console?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, when everything is removed from the area, the Dynamat gets attached directly to the floor pan sheetmetal. Just lay it in without peeling the backing and trim how you want. Then peel the backing, press it on, and then cut an X in the center and fold the triangle tabs underneath. Then you reinstall the shifter dust boot, drop in the factory sound deading slab (block,slab,section, whatever you want to call it) The slab is just the factory sound deadening piece that has a hole in the center for the shifter arm. It just drops in and hangs out just below the console.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Should have bought the MGW, it's far superior in quality.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 06-05-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xcelsius
Yeah, when everything is removed from the area, the Dynamat gets attached directly to the floor pan sheetmetal. Just lay it in without peeling the backing and trim how you want. Then peel the backing, press it on, and then cut an X in the center and fold the triangle tabs underneath. Then you reinstall the shifter dust boot, drop in the factory sound deading slab (block,slab,section, whatever you want to call it) The slab is just the factory sound deadening piece that has a hole in the center for the shifter arm. It just drops in and hangs out just below the console.
Thanks, I'm going to try for that. Though I've never opened the console up myself, so it's going to be a bit of trial and error. Doesn't seem to be much down there that I can screw up.

If the sound reduction is noticable, it sounds like it's a worthwhile project.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:24 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

I'm so glad someone else has recognized the increase in noise with these things. I mean I did expect it, but when I asked about it a while ago I kinda got the impression that at least with the MGW it should be QUIETER than stock. Well let me tell you: even the MGW is louder than stock. I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

Be thankful you don't have the separator plate buzz; I think that's what I've got and the sound inside is now kinda nasty around those RPMs.

Quick Reply: Alot more noise after a short-throw installed