Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you guys mount your GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 AM
codeoverride

Question Where do you guys mount your GPS?

I just got a Garmin Nuvi GPS and am currently trying to figure out the cleanest way to mount it. I know there's a lot of mounting options out there so I'm wondering what solutions you guys came up with. Please post pics. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Boondoggie
1st Gear Member

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Lighter.../dp/B000BP8GQO

and removed the middle joint, shortening it. Now I can just stab my GPS into the socket when I need it, leaving it in the center console otherwise.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 AM
codeoverride

That seems like a good idea except for the power cable hanging down (or do you just throw the power cable up on the dash?) Would you mind posting a pic if you get a chance? Thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

I got this one similar to Boondoggie. The power cord is integrated into the mount. The whole unit (sans the center piece which I also removed) fits nicely in the center console when not in use.

Be aware that this unit is not compatable with Nuvis where the power cord plugs into the GPS unit itself and not the cradle. I found this out the hard way with my 260W which was not compatable. I ended up cutting the power cord on the mount and splicing in the factory Garmin plug. This does in fact work the way I wanted it to but was a bit of a pain to implement.

I can post a pic if you want to see how it looks.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:00 AM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

since I got my motorola droid I have not used my GPS, because I have it on my phone. I think GPS units are going away, also the nuvi I bought is garbage, its far inferior to my older C330 that I paid more than twice the amount for. the nuvi I go to enter a street and when I push say a g I get an F instead even though my finger is almost pressing H. they had to cheapen these units up and its how they function that has suffered.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My GPS doesn't stay in the Stang since it's not my DD but when i do mount it, I mount it (and my RD) low on the windshield and just off the dash. From my driving position, it doesn't extend above the hood line so it doesn't block any of the road.

Someone recently posted a very inexpensive mod where they cut and fit a piece of plexiglass solidly between the 2 center vents for the suction cup mount. It looked great.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 AM
codeoverride

The model I have is the Nuvi 1350T. I guess if I used the power cord that is built into the adaptor (if it works with my model) I wouldn't be able to use the traffic antenna because it's built into the power adaptor that ships with the unit. If it's not too much trouble I'd love to see a pic of how it looks
Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 AM
codeoverride

Hey Nuke, I found the thread you referred to
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...gps-mount.html
Looks pretty good.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sweet. I'm at work or I'd have searched for it.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

I got myself a power plug/extension kit from radio shack and wired it into an empty accessory slot in the fuse box, then ran the wire from the passenger side SJB as far as it would go; about to the center of the car. Then I just plugged my GPS power wire into that, and ran that the rest of the way to the driver's side dash, where I have the GPS mounted. Wasn't too hard to do, and it looks quite nice. This is my DD so the mounting suction cup is always there, along with the 5 inches of cable coming up from the dash.

Quick Reply: Where do you guys mount your GPS?